Dispersed Camping in Missouri

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Natenite

Rank 0

Contributor I

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Man I was hoping you would get some hits on this. I’m looking at taking the kids out this weekend for their first camping trip and was hoping to try some dispersed car camping. I live is the SW part of the state so I will probably just end up in Arkansas for the weekend but I have heard any of the Mark Twain forest areas have potential. There is also some “overland trail” in Missouri. I think some guys from Tacoma world forums are going to drive part of it this weekend. I don’t know squat about it though. Completely new to all of this.

ShyTRex

Rank II

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
Member #

Man I was hoping you would get some hits on this. I’m looking at taking the kids out this weekend for their first camping trip and was hoping to try some dispersed car camping. I live is the SW part of the state so I will probably just end up in Arkansas for the weekend but I have heard any of the Mark Twain forest areas have potential. There is also some “overland trail” in Missouri. I think some guys from Tacoma world forums are going to drive part of it this weekend. I don’t know squat about it though. Completely new to all of this.
Ditto.

ShyTRex

Rank II

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
Member #

Do you know if that ever happened? I can find the thread on TW.

Natenite

Rank 0

Contributor I

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Do you know if that ever happened? I can find the thread on TW.

Yeah in the Midwest bs thread there are some active guys. They drove part of it a while back.

My wife and I have started running parts of it as short day trips as we learn our vehicle and what not. If you good Missouri overland trail or something like that you will find a site called basherdesigns with a map and some extra roads to connect the route to Arkansas.

We have done some of the new connector trail and have not hit the “official” overland route yet. It will make sense when you see the map. Found some really awesome stuff on the connector route that was completely unexpected.

OzarkNewb

Rank I

Contributor I

Joplin MO
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Did you ever find anything out about overland trails in MO or NWA? I am in the SW part of MO too and would like some places to take the family.

hodges

Rank I

Contributor I

Sparta, MO, USA
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Hodges
Member #

I am trying to find some good free camping here in Missouri. I used to live in Colorado so I dont know the good spots yet. Any ideas?
Might check some MDC areas the website should say if they permit primitive camping.

Natenite

Rank 0

Contributor I

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
My family has been knocking out bits of this route, the green portion as that is closest to us. Some of it has been awesome and some has been an epic dud. The green route is definitely outdated and needs to reworking but the parts that are still there and passable are cool. We haven’t done the southernmost part of the green yet either so might knock some of that out has been good for little day trips in the summer to see if the kids can handle long drives in the truck and also has given me a couple opportunities to test some of the capability of the truck it’s self.

hodges

Rank I

Contributor I

Sparta, MO, USA
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Hodges
Member #

I have been doing more research! I have a couple of contacts at national forestry department. With there help I'm down loading maps and trying to put together a 60 mile track to start leave out of ozark mo. First trip should be in September. I'm going to record routes. This will be my first time overlanding I guess. Camped and hunted all my life.

Natenite

Rank 0

Contributor I

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
I would love to see this! Keep me informed! Wife and I are going down to Arkansas Saturday to try and drive some of the routes from the OB rally that was down there a couple months ago.

hodges

Rank I

Contributor I

Sparta, MO, USA
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Hodges
Member #

I would love to see this! Keep me informed! Wife and I are going down to Arkansas Saturday to try and drive some of the routes from the OB rally that was down there a couple months ago.
I think they where at byrds adventures park off of pig trail out of Cass ARK pretty country been down there at a few chuckwagon races. You'll have a good time!