Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Many of our members have recently invested in diesel heaters and having seen a few installations I wanted to just mention the recommendations around placement of the exhaust when installing the heater in the vehicle.

Firstly it is recommended to be clear of the vehicle.
Webasto state:-
"Level to the outside edge of the vehicle, pointed down, away from the direction of travel "
Ours were professionally fitted and with both the Van and the Landy the exhaust protrudes about 30mm out the side and slightly downwards.

As i understand it the reasoning being is the gases will be dispersed better if slightly clear of the vehicle where as under the vehicle you are more likely to get build up and if you have gaps into the cab the gases can permeate into the vehicle.

Secondly Webasto State:-
"on the opposite side to the awning".

This is so you don't get build up in the awning whilst the heater is running, even more dangerous if you have awning sides. If you have a 270 Awning with sides and Tent Annexe this may make things more complicated so needs additional thought.

Both recommendations should be considered when deciding the best location where to mount the exhaust.

Additionally a Carbon Monoxide Monitor in the vehicle and tent is a must especially it you intend to leave it running whilst you are sleeping and remember if the heater is heating your annexe or awning you need to consider a monitor here to.

Think safety folks!

9FEFA5BC-7AB7-4985-AA21-4AEA3A44971C.JPG

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Dave,

Very good to share this information!

Also very good to mention the installation of a Carbon Monoxide Monitor! I am always wondering that there are professional workshops installing diesel heaters in rigs used for camping purposes without installing or not offering the installation of a Carbon Monoxide Montior. For me this is abslutely mandatory when using the heater in a kind of camper.

Stay safe,
Bjoern

Reactions: Polaris Overland