Dickinson, ND to Devils Tower, WY

• HTML tutorial

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Sharing a trip I made early this year when returning home from North Dakota and didn't want to travel all the normal roads. Was able to take in a good bit of Americana, a few nearly abandoned towns with a good deal of history and some beautiful off the beaten path scenery. This route is easily traveled by any vehicle in the summer months 4x4 would be recommended during the winter months. My trip started with the enchanted highway in ND. Lots of cool huge sculptures alongside the highway with pullouts to view each of them spread over 20+ miles and ending in Regent, ND with a museum and visitors center. From there I stayed to the secondary roads down to South Dakota before crossing into the southeast corner of Montana. From the SD border through a good portion of the Montana corner is gravel road that was decently maintained and well away from the general population. I met very few oncoming vehicles from Buffalo, SD to Hulette, WY. Lots of deer and antelope along the way. Beautiful views. After crossing back into Wyoming you are back on paved roads the rest of the way in to Devils Tower. A very peaceful drive with ample scenery and photo ops. I made this trip during the off-season so Devils Tower was very quiet and I was able to enjoy the views without any crowds. I wish I could recommend camping areas as I know there are many in this area however my schedule did not allow this to be my final destination for the day and I had to continue on. For some one that is travelling through the region or lives fairly local this would make a great day trip or time permitting would be a good leg of a multi-day trip. My route is here. Cheers!!

Trey5150

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Dakota
Member #

Sounds like a nice trip. I may plan this in to my Yellowstone trip in the spring as I will be starting in Minot.