Diaries of SiDbaru Vicious

• HTML tutorial

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

End Goal: a efficient, rough road capable, camper wagon.

Mods to be performed: issolated secondary power station and solar,
-difinately installing a 12v fridge,
-rebuilding a engine for her,
-possibly putting a hard shell pop top sleeper on the roof (check but still need mounts)
-locking storage boxes
-skid plates
-and whatever else tickles my fancy.

New parts to purchase:
Ej22 engine rebuilt kit
Radiator fans, radiator, rad cap, thermostat, hoses and coolant.
Oil and filter.
Trans and diff fluids and gaskets.

(This was copied from my post from another forum but, I think I will frequent this site far more often.)

I will use this to document and share my plans and progress while building a capable camping adventure wagon.

Recap: Two days ago i ended up trading my 2012 suzuki S40 boulevard motorcycle for a lifted 1996 Legacy Outback (one in my profile) 300K miles. runs and drives. leaks a little. engine looks tired lol. But it has ADF components and sweet tires
. When i was doing the research i became intrigued and made the deal. I think the wagon is VERY unique and up until about a week ago i did not know that this is a thing.

I love camping
, shooting
and off roading
. i have a truck for off roading and that will not change (actually I just sold my dodge, looking for a yota or a 4runner). But i have been in need of a capable vehicle that doesn't get 13mpg when i go camping and shooting. so this is going to fulfill that need. with some money and effort i will try to make this reliable and fun. So i do not plan on hardcore off roading/rock crawling with Sid (if it happens it happens
)

Offerup add
-Anderson Design 2” lift with trailing arm spacers
-General Grabber 215/75/15 AT2 tires with 99% tread
-Full sized matching spare
-CB radio
-Full size light bar
-Battery isolator installed(but not hooked up) so you can add a second battery in the back for running accessories
-Voltage meters installed to monitor both battery voltages
-all carpet was removed and floor sprayed with truck bed liner
-true snorkel w K&N air filter in the box(I’ve had this car up to the side mirrors in water many times!) IMO the snorkel is iffy at best, not fully sealed to airbox
-Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler all changed 10k miles ago
-Bluetooth radio with USB
-Huge full sized roof rack!
-Changed front Ujoint last year with serviceable joint
-Manual 5 speed trans!
-2.2l SC H4

Vehicle Backstory (according to to the seller): He has owned it for about two years. He did all the mods. while he and his friends were working on it, he found what he thought was a bunch of twist on electrical connectors. His friend informed him they were needle caps.
"maybe diabetes?" someone said optimistically... Nope, they found a burned spoon and a needle under the back panel. H?

ANYWAY.
They nick named it Sid Vicious. (He also said He has had it with water up to the top of the doors driving across the river.)

So the name stays. My best friends sister had a lil dog name Sid Vicious that was actually a cool lil guy (i don't like most little dogs, and the feeling is mutual)

My Plan for Sid I most certainly plan on doing some camping, road trip, mountain biking adventures with this Sid.
First things first, the interior. WOW. there is oil (all kinds, engine, trans ect) in the trunk/hatch area, and it smells very bad. Don't know if he was transporting parts or used oil but I gotta clean it up.
there is also a film of filth on everything. plus dog hair, plus dust and dander and i dont want to know what else. last night and this morning i stripped the interior and degreased the entire floor pan, scrub scrub scrubb. that was gross.

Next I am going to check the compression and see where this engine sits in that area.if its ok i may just do some basic matainence for now and drive the heck out of it. not too far though just in case. but ill get a "low miles" 2.2 and fully build it up for reliability and longevity(maybe head studs, all gaskets and seals etc..). If the engine is on its last leg ill just throw one in for now and build another.

i will upload a few more photos soon.
its looking AND smelling much better already

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: martin_j001

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

This is also a recap...
Sunday was spent installing the seats and fixing a few things like the roof rack cross bar and a few other niknaks.
Here's a photo of one of those "twist on but connectors" the previous owner found and some sort of parafinalia tool. Actually I don't know what it is but they were in the same seat pocket. Any input from the profesionals on what this tool is used for?

I went to the diy car wash late sunday night when I realized that car still has a smell to it. I've smelled this before in other people's houses and cars, hard to describe but it's not pleasant.
So I'm going to ditch the seats and the headliner. Currently looking for replacement seats. Don't care about not having e headliner, unless you can supply a good reason to get one lol.

Monday was spent removing the headliner, installing tie down/anchor attachments in the cargo area. I also put a better negative battery cable and ground wires. Beefed up and extended the trans ground.
Removed the unfinished wiring for the secondary battery that was never completed.
Relocated the light bar wire, have to patch/plug the whole drilled into the roof now.
Also topped off the nearly empty power steering res, added a splash of oil and coolant.

Next step I'm going to compression check the engine and see where that sits.
I also found a potential downer outback. It's a 95 manual with really nice seats, door panels, steel wheels, and a ton of other components I am looking for ie AC compressor and extra engine,brakes etc... wish me luck

Ps y'all gonna laugh when/if I get this doner car, you'll see

(A few days later I posted)

Sorry for the delay y'all. I have a lot on my plate. And I guess I'm just not that hungry

Today I got her registered in my name and insured. Also got some sparkling new plates (was purchased without a front plate)

I'm still planning on getting that 95 outback to canabalized. Talked him down to 800 but I need to get a ride down there. It's not too far but no one wants to take me. I really hope no one buys it. To the average Joe it's a heap of steaming dung, But to me it all the parts I'm looking for, plus a few bonus part and maybe a few parts worth selling to fund other modifications or repairs.

So the past few nights I have been burning the midnight oil getting my garage organized. It has turned into hoarder central in the past three years. The last thing to do before I'm ready to start this project is sell or donate this cabover camper I acquired. So that's the excuse lol
Hopefully I will be posting frequently as soon as this ball get rolling. Time to increase my appetite ; )

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

This morning I spent a few hours in the garage until it started to heat up.
During my lunch break I found these free book shelves on offerup that will become shelving in the garage.
And yea who needs a truck? :laughing: (I do miss having one...)

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

This evening I bought this.. uh.. thingy. it is so funny

It's a 95 2.2L engine, 5spd manual trans, AC works (Sids doesn't), nice interior and seats, stereo with amp (he just unhooked the subs when I bought it and I paid 450 less because of it)
It also has a hitch (hope it's not welded on), a fender without hole from the "snorkel", nicer headlights, steel wheels and a handful of knickknacks like two jacks, leather wallet, small cargo net, a universal lug nut wrench, plus all the spare parts and then some.
$800

It was in a accident. Has a salvaged title with safety inspection required.
He flakes it will pass and doesn't leak water and...... blah blah blah.

I am going to dismantle it and scrap the frame. Done deal. So tonight I tinker around the new victim to be canabalized. And I am going to ready the dungeon (garage) to recieve said victim. Wish me luck

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Had the most productive weekend. I was able to make huge progress on the garage.
Also I found a way to get Choppy into the garage without moving the trailer/camper out of the driveway. I'm pretty impressed and happy with the results. So the donor vehicle is in the OR and ready to be prepped for surgery.

Here a list of extras I scored from Choppy.
Yakima rack
SUBARU rubber trunk mat
Full set All weather floor mats
2 jacks and wrenches
2 tie down straps
1 bungee strap
2 clip/clamps
1 "REGULATOR 2464" plate
Universal lug nut wrench
Leather card holder wallet
Samsung USB charger
1 small carabeaner
1 medium carabeaner
1 flush cigarette car lighter
1 tow ball
1 led cap/hat light
And about $1.87 in loose change

Tonight's goals:
-interior swap (seats, driver seatbelt, maybe center consol)
-re position Choppy with my new vehicle dollies and put it on jack stands.
-remove stereo amplifier, speakers and head unit
-what ever else I decide to do lol

When I start running out of gas I'll crack a beer and go sort and organize the endless supply of nuts and bolts bins and then clean up.

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Yesterday was a complete success. I got way more done than expected partatily because everything is SO simple on this vehicle.

I was planning to just pull the hood and fenders and look at the bumper to see if its removable or welded on. And this is how far I got... (See photos)

So what I didn't get the fenders off as planned. But great news about the bumper not being welded on ;)
I thinks all that is left before the engine gets hoisted out is:
Remove axles
Undo engine mounts
Remove exhaust manifolds

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I found a used Bigfoot hard shell tent online today. He was asking $1300 FIRM. I offered him my Napier truck bed tent (camo edition) and $1000. His reply verbatim "Throw in the ps3 and the tactical vest. And come pick it up for 1000" (he saw these on my listings for sale) he also said if I pick it up today he will take off 50, I agreed and made the short trip to check it out.

Upon inspection I found the ladder missing. He called his friend (whom he was selling it for) and he said if its not there its gone. So he then called the manufacturer and supossedly they told him it's like $30. So he knocked another fifty off. Cool, now we're at $800 plus the other items.

We were just about to shake on it when I realized I didn't see any mounting hardware. So I called the manufacturer and they said they don't sell them but could work something out, would be 100-150 and take about 4-6 weeks. Eesh, so I relay the info and tell the guy, all things considered I will do the trade plus $600... he says yes. But it gets better... I pop the hatch to show him the trade items. Showed him the Blackhawk cross draw tactical vest and how it adjusts. Then i grabbed the Napier truck bed tent and he says "oh I was hopping to get the PS3 instead." (I was under the impression that the tent was going to be part of the deal as well as the vest and PlayStation but nope) so we shake and load it on top of my cargo basket. Done deal
Freaking SCORE.

$600 + a PlayStation I never use and a tactical vest I bought in 2004.
All I got to do is figure out a ladder system, mounts and put a new mattress (have a thing about used mattresses, the idea grosses me out)

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I'm going to utilize the two post vehicle lift at work today to lift the tent off the basket rack so I can remove the basket and lay the tent onto the cross rails. Still need to work out some mounts/brackets.

Update. My boss allowed me to use the shop on my break. When I lifted the clam shell off the basket my rack maxed out about 1 whole inch above the basket. I thought I was going to have to deflate the tire to get it all the way cleared but it worked out. I removed the basket and lowered the Bigfoot onto the rail with a piece of wood on each side inder the supports then strapped her down

Then my coworker gave me $50 for the basket.

Attachments

Last edited:

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Had to make adjustment when I got home. Now it's looking like I am going to need to make a support under the front of the tent because the rails are mounted pretty far back on the roof and when the tent is centered it interferes with the rear hatch. I removed the spoiler but that only helped a little.
So when the tent is positioned where the hatch can be opened there is a significant amount of unsupported real estate hanging over the front rail. Doent look like it will be able to support a lot of weight.
Now I may he able to get away with how it is if I manage to keep that in mind whenever I'm up there and just be careful of not putting significant weight on that side. But I think I'm going to make a support for it anyhow.

I am pleased with the direction of the build so far and can't wait to get my behind out in the bush. More to come of course.

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

The front of the RTT hangs over the front cross rail about 30"
My idea now is to make a bracket for my light bar that also doubles as a support for the tent. I'll have my welding buddy help me on that one.

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

So I was tidying up the garage and organizing the tools I brought home from work when I decided to just poke around. I thought it would be a good idea to let some penetrating oil soak into the exhaust manifold bolts over night, so I sprayed some on there.
Then I looked at what was left to do in order to remove the engine...
-remove exhaust mani bolts x6
-remove trans dog bone mount x1
-remove engine mount bolts x2
-remove lower bellhousing bolts x2
-lift engine to clear mount studs
-put jack under trans and lower engine a smidge then separate. (Necessary for the long studs and the mounts to clear)

So I did that lol then I managed to get it onto the stand.
I'm spent. Going to catch some zzz then go for a refreshing early bird hike before tearing into the motor. Night y'all

Attachments

Last edited:

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

This morning's hike was much needed. Got to see a cool misty sunrise. The I set up the hammock and read a few chapters of the book I'm reading. Talk about refreshing.

I got pretty far into the engine but when it came time to pull the pistons I realized I did have my large Allen wrenches to take off the access ports for the wrist pin removal. So the pistons didn't come out.
Instead I cleaned the block a bit and did everything necessary to remove the transmission.

I will get the pistons out tomorrow after a visit to Sears to buy some tools.

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Got a new set of allen sockets Sunday morning and removed all the pistons. That was a fun puzzle.
Now I am no expert on cylinder bore but I think it looks alright. Probably going to take the block with me when I take the heads to be checked and decked. May have them fully done with new valves, springs lifters ect, just for piece of mind.
Also going to call the local subi shop to see what they recomend as far as what rings, seals and gaskets to use.

Then Sid got a face lift after realizing that one of the other ideas I had wasn't going to work

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I got my mounting brackets situated on sunday. Now i am just searching for a ladder.

Going to try it out this weekend if the wind isn't too bad. Tonight I am going to make my own version of a yeti cooler ;) pics to come

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Started a project last night. I was going to purchase a used pelican elite 50 for the time being untill i get my secondary power supply and dometic fridge situated. But I couldn't justify spending $220 on a ice chest. I have the funds but I also have the materials to make a super insulated igloo.

This is my diy extreme triple insulated igloo legend 40qt ice chest. Hopefully will compare to one of those name brand coolers that sound like getty, but cost me under $30 (goal). I will call this my yhetto getty aka ghetto yeti. I saw a few diy videos on the YouTube and I have most the materials already. So far the only thing I have to purchase is the exterior "wood grain" foam floor mats.

Here's a sneak peak, I will hopefully have this done by friday and tested by this weekend.

Attachments

SiDbaru

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

The cooler is still on the work bench but...
My RTT has faux hardwood flooring now. :tongueclosed:
Taking out the old RTT mattress was fun lol see photo for an idea of what I'm talking about. The old mattress had to go, just the thought grosses me out. It is made of very stiff foam, witch I like to sleep on but it was hard to remove, took some elbow grease. The memory foam replacement is on the soft side so I decided to put some foam tiles under it to smooth out the imperfections of the hard fiberglass floor with its mounts and hardware. Found those "hardwood floor" style ones and had to have them.
Sunday night I:
- removed the old mattress,
- washed the mattress cover,
- cut and fit memory foam and fitted it into the cover.
- cut and fit "hardwood foam tiles.

Just need my ladder and it's ready for a test ride.

Attachments