Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is there anyone on here in the dfw area that has a mig welder that can do my rock sliders? Ill have all the tubes pre bent but my welder is a flux core and i dont trust its welds on something structural like this. I can tack everything where i want it if that helps. I prefer someone who welds for a living but if you can stack dimes we can talk. Let me know availability and price, and location in private message.

Id prefer east dfw if possible or if anyone has a trusted welder they can guide me to that would work too.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I see people on craigslist advertising their services all the tme. Might be an option....
Nah i dont want to be murdered over $100,and folks on craigslist tend to not answer my calls likely because i have a indianapolis cell #. if i cant find someone ill just drive down to mineola and use my dads mig. I figured someone here would know someone or be certified themselves and want to make some quick cash.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
There's a few machine shops down here in Greenville that can probably do the work for you. FWIW I welded my sliders together with a flux core welder (Harbor Freight haha) and I can pick the whole side of the Jeep up with a high lift jack with no issue, never even had the welder overheat. They're bolted to the "frame rails" and to the pinch seam under the rocker panels everything else is welded. They've been bashed on a few rocks and are still good to go.

My previous 2 Jeeps also had homebuilt sliders that were built with cheap welders. They held up fine.

Go to town on it :)

Check out

White Hawk Machine and Tool on the west side of town off HWY 66 and Felt's Welding and Machine Shop on the north end of town on North Johnson Street.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There's a few machine shops down here in Greenville that can probably do the work for you. FWIW I welded my sliders together with a flux core welder (Harbor Freight haha) and I can pick the whole side of the Jeep up with a high lift jack with no issue, never even had the welder overheat. They're bolted to the "frame rails" and to the pinch seam under the rocker panels everything else is welded. They've been bashed on a few rocks and are still good to go.

My previous 2 Jeeps also had homebuilt sliders that were built with cheap welders. They held up fine.

Go to town on it :)

Check out

White Hawk Machine and Tool on the west side of town off HWY 66 and Felt's Welding and Machine Shop on the north end of town on North Johnson Street.
Is your welder the old 90 amp or the newer 120amp? Ive got a newer one. Do use th hf wire or a better mfg?15821298374962032975588.jpg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
90 amp and the first thing I did was toss the HF wire in the garbage and get a new spool, what little welding I did with the HF spool was a mess, no matter how I adjusted the unit I couldn't get a clean weld, apparently that's a common complaint with the unit is the spool that comes with it, is garbage.

I've burnt though a couple of spools by this point the current one I have in there is whatever brand Lowe's carries.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

90 amp and the first thing I did was toss the HF wire in the garbage and get a new spool, what little welding I did with the HF spool was a mess, no matter how I adjusted the unit I couldn't get a clean weld, apparently that's a common complaint with the unit is the spool that comes with it, is garbage.

I've burnt though a couple of spools by this point the current one I have in there is whatever brand Lowe's carries.
Did you do the dc negative conversion? That supposedly makes them weld like a hobart. No splatter. I planned on trying to tack weld everything into place and get it welded professionally but i suppose ill try and give it a good bead and see what happens, i know im not paying a welder $650 for it.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Get some extra pipe and practice. Mig can be tricky but you'll get it figured out. Get a piece of scrap and cut notches to weld back up (and take notes). Test a variety of wires, amps and polarity to find what works. We used to butt weld two pieces of flat together and bend it over until it broke to see if we got the wild right.

I never got the hang of mig. My high school welding class only had one to share among 12 students and the rest of us used stick. I just didn't have the inclination to learn it back then because I wanted to get my projects done.

My little 110v stick welder does pretty good with some 3/16" 7018s though. I need to practice with the 6011s though.20200111_152507.jpeg20200125_103409.jpeg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I started on stick and moved to MIG later. Though these arent MIG welders.
MIG (or flux wire in this case) is like diving an automatic.

@Boostpowered i havent done any mods to mine. Just welded stuff with it. Theyd need to be conveted to DC since they are AC welders out of the box.

Contributor I

Plano, TX
First Name
Jack
Last Name
London
Is there anyone on here in the dfw area that has a mig welder that can do my rock sliders? Ill have all the tubes pre bent but my welder is a flux core and i dont trust its welds on something structural like this. I can tack everything where i want it if that helps. I prefer someone who welds for a living but if you can stack dimes we can talk. Let me know availability and price, and location in private message.

Id prefer east dfw if possible or if anyone has a trusted welder they can guide me to that would work too.
I'm a little late to the party, but Id be happy to weld them up for you if you havent gotten them done already. . Located in a Plano. Not sure when with the current state of the nation, but when things clear up I'd be happy to make a friend and help ya out.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm a little late to the party, but Id be happy to weld them up for you if you havent gotten them done already. . Located in a Plano. Not sure when with the current state of the nation, but when things clear up I'd be happy to make a friend and help ya out.
What kind of experience do you have?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Boosted is gone.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Couldnt see your pictures because I dont have a google account. But I do happen to need quite a bit of welding. Have been trying to decide wether to buy a welder and try and do it myself or pay someone else. Its been about 20 yr since I welded so im not to confident in my skills. Lol
I see you are not to far from me either so maybe we can work something out.