First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi overlanders,

We all love to cook outdoors while overlanding, I guess. I really enjoy it. Especially, cooking on the fire!

Sometimes, we do not have the possibility to do so. Or it or it just got late until we found a camp . Or just want a quick meal.

For these cases I carry always some dehydrated soups or other little meals. You know, these standard ones you can get in the supermarket.

But there are also numerous dehydrated dishes that make a complete, good meal.

Who has experience here with that and would like to give a few recommendations? Thanks a lot!

Enjoy oerlanding!

Bjoern

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Mountain House foods are consistently decent.... or at least I like them.

There are many different brands out there... some higher quality, some lower.

A quick search and I found a website with a good rundown on various meals...

Reactions: El-Dracho

Eddie Linn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Linn
Member #

For breakfast I like the Mountain house biscuits & gravy. I just don't put the full amount of water in it when I fix it to make the gravy a little thicker.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Packit Gourmet makes some GREAT meals. Their blackbean and corn salad is good enough to eat at home. I do like a few of the Mtn. Houses too, I stay away from any meats except chicken. Freeze dried beef always tastes like cardboard. I am partial to the Mtn. House Sweet & Sour chicken.

Reactions: Mario Ol

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
I would have to go with mountain house too. I have never been disappointed by any of their meals.

Another direction you could go, is to make your own. Years ago, I was really into "prepping". I had bought some of those emergency meal kits, but found them to be pricey, so I decided to make my own. I bought cans of freeze dried meats, veggies, powdered eggs, powdered butter and other items online. I took those items, along with dry items from the local grocery. I made my own soups, pasta dishes, and breakfasts. Each had a meal, a snack, a dessert, 1 or 2 drink mixes, matches, napkins and wet naps. I then vacuum sealed them so they would last for years. I started taking them on camping trips back in 2017, and found them to be very useful with their compact size. Below is an example of one of the breakfasts.

Full disclosure, some of the items I chose, like certain pasta mixes, the gum you see, and trail mix with raisins only stayed fresh a few years. Not that they spoiled, but that the flavor was off, and the gum was rock hard.
FB_IMG_1601661675968.jpg

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have to agree with everyone here that Mountain House in general is noticeably better than most of the other brands.

Another option is ramen dishes paired with packaged dry foods close cousin, canned food. Kirkland brand canned pre-cooked roast beef was the greatest thing ever with ramen but I can't seem to find it in Costco anymore. If I ever run across it again I am surely going to buy a pallet of that stuff for my trail meals.

Reactions: Dusther210

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I like Mountain House. Biscuits and Gravy is my favorite, the new Chicken Breast is also good. We have 30 in our Hurricane prep supplies.

Reactions: Desert Runner

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Next Mile Meals. WAYYYYY lower carb than mountain house. The salt content is through the roof but I think that's common for all of these. The italian style beef tastes like chef boy r dee meatballs which is amazing.

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Hi overlanders,

We all love to cook outdoors while overlanding, I guess. I really enjoy it. Especially, cooking on the fire!

Sometimes, we do not have the possibility to do so. Or it or it just got late until we found a camp . Or just want a quick meal.

For these cases I carry always some dehydrated soups or other little meals. You know, these standard ones you can get in the supermarket.

But there are also numerous dehydrated dishes that make a complete, good meal.

Who has experience here with that and would like to give a few recommendations? Thanks a lot!

Enjoy oerlanding!

Bjoern
I use Wise Company. Love the Wise Cheesy Lasagna, has 15 grams of protein per serving (great for hikers). It's lightweight and easy to pack. Cooks in pouch for minimal mess (just add hot water).
I also dehydrate my fruits - especially berries. It makes for some delicious and healthy fruit rolls on the go.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Wow, so many answers and good information here! Thanks a lot. Great community!!!

So I see, that many of you guys recommend Mountain House meals. Going to see if they sell somewehre in Europe.

Cheers, Bjoern

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Like just about everyone else has said, Mountain House is generally considered better tasting than most of the other brands. The dehydrated meals are light and easy to make but PLEASE be aware of the additives in these packages. The sodium, not just salt for flavor but sodium for preserving (that you don't taste) is incredibly high in all this stuff. For the purposes described by OP, I think they are fine but they are definitely not health food.

Reactions: El-Dracho

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

I do a combination of Mountain house and Peak Refuel that sweet pork in rice is pretty darn good probably my favorite

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So Mountain House seems to be the one many OB members here recommend. Thanks. Just dropped them an email to see if they sell somewehre in Europe.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So Mountain House seems to be the one many OB members here recommend. Thanks. Just dropped them an email to see if they sell somewehre in Europe.
So I got an answer in a very short time. That is what I call a good customer service!

But unfortunately, they are not able to ship to Europe due to import regulations on meat and poultry products.

• Sad
Reactions: Sparksalot