Chill

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lincoln County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Hill
So...I’m new here and if this has already been discussed please directly me to the thread. But I wanted to get some thoughts on how other people define overlanding. My buddies and I recently had a disagreement on what we felt it was and I’ve come to realize that it’s a spectrum and can’t be defined to just one single thing. So what’s overlanding look like for you? Thanks!!

Reactions: bgenlvtex

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

So...I’m new here and if this has already been discussed please directly me to the thread. But I wanted to get some thoughts on how other people define overlanding. My buddies and I recently had a disagreement on what we felt it was and I’ve come to realize that it’s a spectrum and can’t be defined to just one single thing. So what’s overlanding look like for you? Thanks!!
Why don't you start telling us what is your and your friends definition?

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

if this has already been discussed please directly me to the thread
someone please do it lol
better yet, use the search function

which might bring up this.....

altho one could debate the need for a vehicle

Chill

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Hill
Why don't you start telling us what is your and your friends definition?
I realize now that probably no one will answer my question straight out, and that’s okay. It’s a tough thing to define and the whole thing has been commercialized to death that it’s tough to even use the word anymore. I agree that it can be simplified to “vehicle dependent transportation” and I also believe there should be a strong emphasis on transportation or travel over land. The rub between me and one of my buddies came when he began to define it as...drive to a campsite and set up “base camp” for the weekend. I love the outdoors and that can certainly be fun but I don’t feel like I’m “overlanding” if I could drive a Prius to that same spot and just camp for a few days and then drive home. That’s car camping to me. I could be way off here and that’s why I’m asking. Hoping that this community cares enough to contribute meaningful dialogue with a new guy. If not...then I’ll be quiet or move along.

Chill

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Hill
if this has already been discussed please directly me to the thread
someone please do it lol
better yet, use the search function

which might bring up this.....

altho one could debate the need for a vehicle
Very interesting thread. Thanks!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

My definition of 'overlanding' isn't the most popular. The following sums up what I think defines 'overlanding'.

When looking at all of these keep in mind that these people did not have, or use, all the fancy gear and gadgets many seem to 'need' today.

Books - look them up:

First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover ~ Tim Slessor

12,000 Miles by Land Rover: From Brazil to Canada ~ Mary Orr

Cape to Cairo: The Record of a Historic Motor Journey ~ Stella Court Treatt

Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place ~ Charlie Hatch-Barnwell

Sahara Handbook ~ Simon and Jan Glen

The Sahara is Yours: a Handbook for Desert Travellers ~ Jon Stevens

The Hyland family - I think he is one of the founding members here. Article and video below.

London to Singapore: Epic Family Road Trip in an Old Land Rover

• Love
Reactions: Billiebob and Road

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I realize now that probably no one will answer my question straight out, and that’s okay. It’s a tough thing to define and the whole thing has been commercialized to death that it’s tough to even use the word anymore. I agree that it can be simplified to “vehicle dependent transportation” and I also believe there should be a strong emphasis on transportation or travel over land. The rub between me and one of my buddies came when he began to define it as...drive to a campsite and set up “base camp” for the weekend. I love the outdoors and that can certainly be fun but I don’t feel like I’m “overlanding” if I could drive a Prius to that same spot and just camp for a few days and then drive home. That’s car camping to me. I could be way off here and that’s why I’m asking. Hoping that this community cares enough to contribute meaningful dialogue with a new guy. If not...then I’ll be quiet or move along.
You and I think a lot alike it seems.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
. Hoping that this community cares enough to contribute meaningful dialogue with a new guy. If not...then I’ll be quiet or move along.
Don't take it the wrong way, Chill. There have been a few somewhat "heated" discussions about the definition of "overlanding" and if you ask 10 different people, you will get 11 different answers. Hopefully you will get involved and share your views and opinions with us and I'm sure down the road someone else will ask the same question and by then you'll see that there really isn't a straight answer.
Nothing to do with you or anyone being new. Hell, we are all new to something on here. Just jump in and share your thoughts....

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Chill

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Hill
My definition of 'overlanding' isn't the most popular. The following sums up what I think defines 'overlanding'.

When looking at all of these keep in mind that these people did not have, or use, all the fancy gear and gadgets many seem to 'need' today.

Books - look them up:

Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place ~ Charlie Hatch-Barnwell

The Hyland family - I think he is one of the founding members here. Article and video below.

Wow! Great video. And I’ll check out some of those books too! Thanks.

Reactions: Correus

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Books - look them up:

you nailed it !!
overlanding is about leaving home and experiencing new cultures.
otherwise we are just camping.

wuemor-1.jpg

maybe the lightest overlander ever

Last edited:

Chill

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Caleb
Last Name
Hill
I know Michael’s definition and he said that he won’t define it any further. I guess I was just looking for a consensus that “overlanding” is at minimum defined as “traveling over land at a rate that would be difficult to be confused with car camping or just plain camping, period.” If I’m out of line I’ll be glad to shut up. I’m excited to join this “overland” community but the fact that I even have to put it in quotes means there’s not a community of like minded individuals that are able to agree on the very word that defines their group. This has been really good so far. Thank you everyone who contributed to my uneducated question.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Nothing to do with speed or camping, overlanding is a cultural experience, as opposed to a MOAB Expedition. Overlanding is about the antithisis of "like Minded people". Overlanding is about finding those "not like minded people".. Othrwise you are just going to a remote convention of people you already understand.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It’s run what you bring. also Being able to use your vehicle to it’s potential. Like taking a Prius to a spot where the Jeep drivers are scratching their heads wondering how you got there.