Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I found that I have better storage options NOT using the boxes. I use a couple of dividers and that's about it. I'm covered with a Softopper and it makes a great sleeping area. I use a air/foam 3" matteress, Lil' Buddie if it gets really cold. Adding a 12V/USB outlet panel in the bed is very handy.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I don’t use the boxes either, just dividers. I keep my fire starters, recovery gear, compressor, tools, truck fluids, hatchet, lanterns, etc in them. I mounted my tilting fridge slide on top of DECKED. I’ve got a Softopper with Xtrusion Overland rack as well.

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
I love it for sure. Stores everything out of the way. Just got to seal the bed to keep the dust out. I used the boxes to keep things organized as well as the dividers. Great product.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Got a decked drawer system in my new 2022 F150 Tremor. I freaking love this thing. Anyone else have one? How did you set it up? How do u tie things down on top? Any mods?
I drilled into it and had a dual compressor and fridge slide mounted to it. They sell tracks you can install which have tie downs on them.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I use the L track rails on top for a variety of things. Love the versatility of it. I also generally only use dividers but I do use 1 box for tools. Just added this the other day @madcratebuilder.

229D0C4D-BFD0-4F3B-A47C-A8840479ADA1.jpeg

Reactions: madcratebuilder

WesternExplorer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Gaylor
Member #

I use the decked drawer system in my ram 2500 and love it. I use one of the boxes for my first aid kit/bags of saline. I have a RSI smart cap on the back of my truck with a RTT. Fridge goes in back on top of the drawers. I keep all my gear in the back and only have RTT exposed. I love the set up and not as worried about getting stuff stolen.

Reactions: dstock and RAPTR6

RAPTR6

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Houston, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Gavin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Overwatch
Service Branch
Army
I use the decked drawer system in my ram 2500 and love it. I use one of the boxes for my first aid kit/bags of saline. I have a RSI smart cap on the back of my truck with a RTT. Fridge goes in back on top of the drawers. I keep all my gear in the back and only have RTT exposed. I love the set up and not as worried about getting stuff stolen.
I have almost the same setup.

Attachments

Reactions: AnthonyBroussard

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I've seriously eyeballing both the RSI Smartcap and the decked drawer system for my Ram 1500, seems like the perfect combo. Great to see the combo, except for the part where I'll be emptying my wallet :tearsofjoy:

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Newport News, Virginia, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
I've seriously eyeballing both the RSI Smartcap and the decked drawer system for my Ram 1500, seems like the perfect combo. Great to see the combo, except for the part where I'll be emptying my wallet :tearsofjoy:
Buy once, cry once....if that is the right saying.

Don't settle if that is the setup that meets your needs. I have the decked system with a Bestop topper. I thought that the folding topper would give me more options--especially with being able to fold it down when I wanted to haul something tall. You lose quite a bit of vertical bed space with the decked system. If I could go back in time; and I could have waiting the 3+ months to get the smart cap, I would have.

Reactions: dstock

LRFam1718

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Newport News, Virginia, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUM572
I use both boxes. The large box is miscellaneous, big items and my "electrical kit" for working on harnesses or adding electrical components to the vehicle. The small box has my most used tools for easy access.

In the left drawer I have a tire-mounted ladder for engine bay work, a cargo net, a tarp, my camp chair, the dog ramp, and other bulky items.

The right drawer has my recovery gear and tie-down equipment. It also has the two, aforementioned boxes, my tool roll, tire stuff, clearing wipes, a borescope, and some random specialty tools.

To mount things on top, I use the cargo net attached to the bed cleats, or I just use ratchet straps. It really depends.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I just picked up a couple of 95L ROAM boxes and gong to put them on Prinsu rack on cab of truck. Plan on moving all my recovery gear, misc camping stuff up top and freeing up one of the DECKED drawers. I'd like to turn the empty drawer into my kitchen drawer to stow all the cooking stuff and get it out of the box that it all currently lives in while camping.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Buy once, cry once....if that is the right saying.

Don't settle if that is the setup that meets your needs. I have the decked system with a Bestop topper. I thought that the folding topper would give me more options--especially with being able to fold it down when I wanted to haul something tall. You lose quite a bit of vertical bed space with the decked system. If I could go back in time; and I could have waiting the 3+ months to get the smart cap, I would have.
Completely agree with the buy once, cry once theory.

From what I hear, RSI is setting up a plant in Texas that's supposed to be fully online in the next couple months. I have no problem waiting.

My concern with the Decked system is exactly what you mentioned, the loss of vertical space. We would like to have the option of getting out of the weather if needed which means more of a bench over the wheel well type of setup, leaving the center section open for feet. We have a CVT Mt. Hood which will go on top of the Smartcap, but sometimes when the winds are blowing (which seems all the time for us) you just want to get out of the wind to eat or have a break. I'd go with a combo unit like a Super Pacific or Ovrlnd Camper but then I can't fit in our 7ft garage and the little creatures where we live like to nibble on vehicles. So it's shell and removable RTT for now.

Decisions, decisions. I do like seeing the different ways people are organizing the Decked system, it appeals to my ocd nature!

Reactions: LRFam1718

1YOTA

Rank II
Investor

Traveler III

First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Heffner
Member #

I love the drawer system….. but I started adding up all the weight from my Tacoma build and another 240ish pounds for drawers alone……. I don’t know if it’s worth it??

BTW the RLD topper is fantastic

Attachments

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

My setup: 21 Jeep JT Rubicon with Decked system, RSI Smart Cap, and clamshell RTT. Narrower drawer contains tools, bottle jack, misc gear. Wider drawer is the full camp kitchen including camp stove, cast iron griddle top, utensils, etc. Up on top is our fridge, CO2 tank, propane tank, spare NATO fuel / Jerry cans, Sceptor water cans / water for showering and dishes; Frontrunner foodgrade Jerry can drinking water and Waterport. All routine gear stored inside; axe, shovel, chairs, bathroom supplies, etc locked away, nice and clean. Up top in front of the RTT, is a Pelican box with all recovery gear sans one kinetic rope with soft shackles kept inside RSI, which is easily accessed by opening a side window. Outside we have a shower / bathroom tent mounted on the right and a simple 8’ foot awning on the left. Bottom is fully skidded with MetalCloak Undercloak system. She’s a heavy girl, but most capable. We love the set up…looking for a tilting fridge slide and additional power source next similar to a Wagentech or Bluetti. Very, very happy with Decked system albeit we ditched the box’s as well.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyBroussard

AnthonyBroussard

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Lafayette, Lafayette Parish, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Broussard
Member #