US West Death Valley Photography Trip February 24-28th, 2021 (rescheduled)

• HTML tutorial

OutbackInTheWild

Rank V

Advocate III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Vladimirs
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6VVP
With your Outback, the only part I'd be concerned about is the road to Marble Canyon. I did it earlier in the year with my Cherokee with 8.7 inches of ground clearance, which I believe is the same as what you have. You shouldn't need underbody protection, but going may be slow in parts to pick smooth lines. Aside from that, it's just the standard washboard to get to other backcountry locations - with the usual guidance about having good tires.
I have bigger size tires on my outback so its about 9.5"
I am waiting for holiday deals to kick in so i can purchase protection and lift kit.
will see if I will be able to install it before the this trip.

Reactions: KLTH19

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I say Ubehebe Lead Mine on Friday sounds Good
Sounds good. One way or the other we'll be heading that way on Friday morning - likely early though as we'll be on the way to Marble Canyon. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive and I want to get to Marble Canyon as close to midday as possible on Friday. Does that work for you?

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I guess in the worst case if we top off tanks to start at Panamint Springs and Stovepipe is closed then the next opportunity to fill up would be at Beatty prior to going through Titus Canyon and that would be around 200 miles total to get to that point in the trip from the start.
We won't actually be passing Panamint Springs - well be taking Saline Valley Road from 190 to head over Hunter Mountain. A fill up at the Mobil in Olancha is the plan for everyone coming that way - that should get everyone through the first couple of days. I can normally get 450 miles from a tank, but that drops to closer to 250 if driving slower off road. I'll pull all these details together for our upcoming logistics meeting.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Sounds good. One way or the other we'll be heading that way on Friday morning - likely early though as we'll be on the way to Marble Canyon. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive and I want to get to Marble Canyon as close to midday as possible on Friday. Does that work for you?

Can you send me a GPS Cord for where you will be in Marble Canyon to anyway??

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Beautiful place. Was just there a couple weeks ago with a vets group for 5 days.
Thanks. And just to clarify in case - your photo is of Ubehebe Crater (great spot). Ubehebe Lead Mine is on Racetrack Road about 22 miles away, just beyond Teakettle Junction.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Rats!!! Would really love to join you but I am Canadian, eh. Had a fantastic time in the past overnighting at the Racetrack and Ibex Dunes, and want to get to Eureka Dunes. The first one is my first serious overlanding photo and the second is my all time favourite.

160429_Roadtrip_237.JPG

180525_Southwest_115-Edit.JPG

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Wow! I love this thread!! I'm looking forward to joining this group someday. My schedule never seems to synch up.

Here's some pictures from my trip there last year.
Great shots - thanks for sharing. Planning this trip has reminded me of how many great locations there are in the park - I have a feeling I'll be organizing this trip a few more times in the future.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Unfortunately it looks like conditions are worse than they were when I postponed the trip in December, so right now I'm not optimistic about this one going ahead. The park continues to offer limited service, hospitals are at breaking point in Southern California, and it's just not a great time for a group trip. I'll continue to keep an eye on conditions, but I expect to cancel this one.

• Sad
Reactions: Boort