Death Valley National Park

• HTML tutorial

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Anyone headed to Death Valley over new year's? My girlfriend and I are thinking about doing a last minute escape out there. Never been and thought it'd be fun to explore some the trails.

Our plans include bringing lots of water and cold weather gear (just in case), 4wd trails, camping, hiking. Recommendations and suggestions welcome.

Hope to run into some other OB readers while out there!

Sunnydog

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bellingham WA
Member #

Ahhh I just saw your post ,after I posted about going to DVNP , we will be in the red eurovan ,fully loaded, hope we bumb into you .
Ivan

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Anyone headed to Death Valley over new year's? My girlfriend and I are thinking about doing a last minute escape out there. Never been and thought it'd be fun to explore some the trails.

Our plans include bringing lots of water and cold weather gear (just in case), 4wd trails, camping, hiking. Recommendations and suggestions welcome.

Hope to run into some other OB readers while out there!
It might interest you ... I'm leading a small group on the Mojave Road Starting the 29 th and coming back via Joshua Tree. It's not DV but its a great trip. I have 1 open slot.

PM if interested.

Reactions: Xcountry

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

It might interest you ... I'm leading a small group on the Mojave Road Starting the 29 th and coming back via Joshua Tree. It's not DV but its a great trip. I have 1 open slot.

PM if interested.
My girlfriend has to work the 29th otherwise we'd probably join the party. We really only have 12.30-1.3 available and need to get down there from SF - too many miles and just not enough time! Story of our lives, haha. Thanks for the offer though!

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

What days do you plan on being there? I was thinking about going out there as well. I am in the Monterey area.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Xcountry

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SF Bay Area
Member #

PM if interested.
What dates will you be on your trip? I'll be doing a solo 1-nighter in Joshua Tree Jan. 2-3.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

What dates will you be on your trip? I'll be doing a solo 1-nighter in Joshua Tree Jan. 2-3.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Sounds like our timing is very close.... We are headed west to east on this run. We will meet at afton canyon campground at 9am on the 29th to start the Mojave Road. As we end the Road on the 1st some of us are swinging back to Joshua Tree for a night as we head back to the bay area.

Some of us are meeting the night before at the Afton.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/165448-RobRed-New-Years-Mojave-Road-Trip-You-re-Invited

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

What days do you plan on being there? I was thinking about going out there as well. I am in the Monterey area.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app
Planning on leaving the bay area on Friday, 12.30.16 and get to Death Valley late that evening. We'll stay in the area until Tuesday, 1.3.17 and start our long drive back to SF. We are hoping to check out the following:
  • Movie Road, Alabama Hills
  • Swansea-Cerro Gordo Road
  • Racetrack via Hunter Mountain
  • Chloride City
  • Butte Valley
I haven't had time to chart anything out yet so the above is subject to change. We really want to see the ghost version of the last supper statues that someone had posted on OB a while back.