Death Valley Meteor Shower Trip.

• HTML tutorial

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
It depends on what kind of rig you have. There are many wonderful backcountry places to camp if you have a rig that will get you there. One of my favorites is the geologist cabin near Mengel Pass. From the east side it is a fairly easy route if you have decent ground clearance and 4x4. If the cabin is occupied, there are tons of places to camp. We camped on the other side of Mengel Pass, but that route takes a pretty serious rig. You can get to Barker Ranch which is on that route from the west side in a high clearance 2 wheel drive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scott nunn

OCWanderer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have a 2014 grand Cherokee overland 4x Quad II 5.7L hemi. I'm comfortable on midlevel trails, but I know it'll never be a serious rock crawler.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
You can easily get to the geologist cabin. DO NOT ATTEMPT MENGEL PASS SOLO! It is quite challenging, but it is doable in a stock vehicle with a lot of work. I did it solo in my power wagon both directions and was fine, but there were stock Toyota parts laying around as trophies. Notice the entire running board on the left.

I am running 35s, and still needed my bridging ladders to get up it. It got harder the farther I went up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scott nunn

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Last time I was out there, I drove on the 13 Mule(???) trail just to see what was down it. There were numerous campers and RTT rigs overnighting it there. It's in a canyon though so visibility might be an issue. Towards the end it opens up so you might get a better view there, though tent camping didn't look like an option as there wasn't much cleared, flat spot to pitch one.

BTW, are you posting your full address on your profile? :)