Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Anyone here run with a dash cam? Experiences hardwiring in?

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
I run the Garmin 55w in my vehicles. They were in a 2 pack at Costco, so I got two. But

I didnt bother hardwiring it in because it only draws 150-500mAh. In other words, wont kill my battery even if left on.

Good camera, but some of the alerts like th lane detection, foreward collision warning are a little too touchy, even when set to minimum, thankfully you can switch them off completely. Little pricey too.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I'm running a Thinkware F800 Pro with the front and rear cams. Hardwired to record continuous while the vehicle is running and time lapse while parked. It's been great especially having the time lapse, I'm working on getting it uploading to the cloud via my work/home wifi so I can check on the vehicle remotely while away on business. :)

Enthusiast I

New York
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Antonio
I run a BlueSkySea Mini0906 dual cam for front and rear exterior shots and a BlueSkySea B1W for an interior shot

Pretty much have these in all my family vehicles

Here's some footage of when I got rear ended in my beater

And some more of some biker hooligans getting chased by cops

I have an entire YouTube channel dedicated to dash cam footage while out on my daily commute

Here's the latest from this morning lol

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have dash cams in all my vehicles but don’t hardwire cause I know I will ultimately replace them with newer models as these breakdown.

Enthusiast I

New York
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Antonio
Super simple to hardwire

Just a few pix of a Mini0906 I installed on my niece's Rav4

Took all of 15 minutes to run all the cables down the driver's side and fish through the rubber tube grommet on the hatch

Runs constant 24/7 with the supplied LVC parking kit that plugs right into the fuse panel, but I have them all set to standard record instead of parking mode as a 128GB chip gets you a good couple days of recording before looping over the footage

Reactions: RoarinRow and J.W.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I have a typical suction cup dash cam as well as a rear-view mirror clamp on. My "hard wiring" consists of a switch built into my center console that powers a 12v outlet I hid behind my overhead light. I did that by getting a two way plug and cutting off one of the female ends to wire up. Then I just have a standard 2 port usb charger plugged into the 12v outlet and two normal length usb cords powering the dash cams.