Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway

• HTML tutorial

jarrel3018

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey Overlanders! I am interested in doing the DBBB this August 11 & 12 (Anyone is welcome to join). I have some questions if anyone who has done this in the past wouldn’t mind giving a noob some tips.

Can a stock F150 with AT tires handle the trail?

What recovery devices should I have other than a winch (Can’t afford one yet)?

My wife and I will be camping in our roof top tent; does anyone recommend any certain spots to camp?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ckkphoto

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Let me talk to the better half....and my copilot. Sounds like fun.
You are welcome to join us if your free that weekend. It’s just the wife and I on our first trip. I’m actually nervous about going it alone, especially without a winch on my rig.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

there are youtube videos about a guy doing that. Supposedly has a court order not to do so. Did this happen to you?
Anyone done this trail recently and had any problems with locals blocking roads?

jarrel3018

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

there are youtube videos about a guy doing that. Supposedly has a court order not to do so. Did this happen to you?

No. I’ve seen the videos and read some things about this happening but they were all a few years old. Was just wondering if it’s still like this. I’m making my first trip there in August, just my wife and I and looking to avoid any issues with the locals.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

No. I’ve seen the videos and read some things about this happening but they were all a few years old. Was just wondering if it’s still like this. I’m making my first trip there in August, just my wife and I and looking to avoid any issues with the locals.

I and my copilot are on board to meet you for your august trip. You wont get stuck. Sounds like a good time.

jarrel3018

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I and my copilot are on board to meet you for your august trip. You wont get stuck. Sounds like a good time.

GREAT! Thx man. You just made my day. I was really nervous about going it alone. I’m still trying to figure out the route. Let’s talk about this, I don’t have a concrete plan yet so any input from you would be great.

Reactions: ckkphoto

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Been researching this myself, here's a link I just found.
https://www.cartotracks.com/daniel_boone_backcountry_byway
No experience with cartotracks but looks legit. I have a Gaia route already downloaded and get along with Gaia so not sure I would need this, but it had some really good notes on the map showing the disputed road closure area and some campsites, which I have had a hard time getting info about. When they say dispersed camping is allowed in DBNF, they're really talking to the backpacking crowd for the most part.
Wife and I were just there this past weekend to hike and learn about the area but we stayed in campgrounds. (Not my choice!) We did talk to a ranger at Gladie that showed us a map (it was huge unfolded!) but didn't have any for sale and we couldn't find any to buy. She was knowledgeable of the DBBB but we didn't delve into that any further.

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

Just downoaded the rout from carto tracks. Looking forward to this.
GREAT! Thx man. You just made my day. I was really nervous about going it alone. I’m still trying to figure out the route. Let’s talk about this, I don’t have a concrete plan yet so any input from you would be great.

Reactions: Ditcherman

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Hey Overlanders! I am interested in doing the DBBB this August 11 & 12 (Anyone is welcome to join). I have some questions if anyone who has done this in the past wouldn’t mind giving a noob some tips.

Can a stock F150 with AT tires handle the trail?

What recovery devices should I have other than a winch (Can’t afford one yet)?

My wife and I will be camping in our roof top tent; does anyone recommend any certain spots to camp?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.

Good morning - Did you end-up making this trip, and if so, what intel can you pass along? Planning to hit the road this Thursday from Nashville, and trying to decide on a destination, then a route and plan. Came across your post, and thought I’d reach-out. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks, Steve

Reactions: RevJackDaniel

RevJackDaniel

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Elizabethtown, KY
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I hope to do at least some of the DBBB trip soon. But just starting out myself.
Mostly stock 86 K5 Blazer (M1009 CUCV).

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

I hope to do at least some of the DBBB trip soon. But just starting out myself.
Mostly stock 86 K5 Blazer (M1009 CUCV).
Most of the DBBB can be done in any 4wd vehicle built for off road in stock form. Good all terrains or mud terrains are strongly recommended. I am going the next two days after Thanksgiving.

Garro

Rank 0

Traveler I

Most of the DBBB can be done in any 4wd vehicle built for off road in stock form. Good all terrains or mud terrains are strongly recommended. I am going the next two days after Thanksgiving.
You will definitely want to watch weather....I am about an hour away and we have had 3 days of rain and now the freezing stuff, it's that time of year here in KY....wait an hour and the weather will change..heh

Reactions: Ditcherman

Garro

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anyone do the dbbb in the winter?
I have not...new to overlanding, but looking at forestry roads on DBBB website looks like most of them are closed until spring, there are a few open till 11/30 and even more close on 12/15...here is link ...won't let me post it I am too new

Garro

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have not...new to overlanding, but looking at forestry roads on DBBB website looks like most of them are closed until spring, there are a few open till 11/30 and even more close on 12/15...here is link ...won't let me post it I am too new
Daniel Boone National Forest....then left side menu Maps and Publications....then scroll to bottom Motor Vehicle use maps......mid screen click Cumberland or area you are planning to go

RevJackDaniel

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Elizabethtown, KY
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Thanks so much. I have some decent 31’s and Ol’ Gertie (what we call my 86 K5 CUCV) she has not disappointed me off road so far.

IMG_1764.JPG this was Piney Rd outside of Livingston.

I don’t care about any hard trails, just want to get off pavement.
Need some more gear before I can get to aggressive but can’t wait to do more.

Love the Eastern KY Area.

Also been readying a lot about the KAT (Kentucky Adventure Tour) and thinking about doing some of that as well.

Hope you have good weather for the Turkey Day trip. Going alone or got a crew?