Daniel Boone Backcountry byway Labor Day

• HTML tutorial

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I realize I'm a little late posting this but there are five of us from Ohio headed down for Labor Day weekend and there's anybody here in the area that would like to tag along for all or part of the trip they are more than welcome.

We will be running the entire Back Country byway as well as some of the other trails in the area.

Here is a copy and paste from my website with details.

Couple of us are planning a 3 day camping/trail trip to the Daniel Boone back country by way labor day weekend.

Most trails are fairly mild but some of them will be 35+ with lockers. These trails generally have a bypass option and we will decide as a group.what ones we run and don't that require more than your standard vehicle.

Plan is arrive late Friday and camp along Indian Creek Rd I suggest eating super before you arrive. To camp here you will need a Daniel Boone National Forrest camping permit. $3 per vehicle.

I plan to arrive before everyone else friday so I can buy the passes so the late arrivals need not worry.

Saturday we will leave camp at 8am so get up early if.you want to cook a hot camp breakfast.

Well follow the route counter clock wise, There is over 60 miles some trail some pavement between us and where we plan to stay for the night so we will be eating on the trail for lunch.
However I have a few differant routes layed out to shorten the distance if needed.

We will stay in the campton parkway inn saturday night.
http://www.camptonparkwayinn.com/
If you're going to come on the trip you should call and reserve. Give them my name (donnie chambers room 201) if you would like a room with the rest of the group. We currently have 6 rigs (12 people) and have reserved 5 rooms. The rooms hold 4 people so

Well likely eat at dairy queen or subway in campton on way to hotel for super.
Sunday morning breakfast if at the hotel,
It's probably some.toast, begals, and cereal, nothing "hot"

we will travel the scenic byway through the gorge, (its part of the #dbbb) stopping along the way for some hiking and if water levels ans time allow we may do some canoeing out of Red River Adventure canoe livery and We will also be staying at their campground Sunday night so we will probably pick out sites and set up camp while there.
http://www.redriveradventure.net/site/3afc596bcfa449f1a0634546b33b2240/default?url=http://www.redriveradventure.net/Camping.php#2539

After the canoe trip (of once we set yp camp) we will travel Route 77 through the NADA tunnel and into Slade where we will take the Skylift to the Natural Bridge and hike back down. More than likely grab supper at a recommended pizza place in Slade and then head back to the campgrounds for the night.

Monday is an open schedule because some of the group will be leaving. Those of us who stay will decide as a group what we do. (More trails preferably)

Last edited:

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Dang it! I just checked with the XYL and I may be obligated that weekend (currently obligated through Overland Expo East weekend). I gotta see if I can get out of it. This is only two hours from the house and I have been planning a trip to check out the natural arches for some time. This part of Kentucky is known as "The Utah of the East". I really want to get on this ...

Reactions: offroadohio

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Unfortunately, I have only Saturday available. I can join the group Saturday morning at Indian Creek. I can then go the whole day. If that is unacceptable then I wish you well on your journey and will try to catch the arches on another trip. Be well.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

You are more than welcome to join Saturday only.

We are setting up camp somewhere along spa's creek and Indian Creek (won't know for sure till I get there Friday) I'll try to post up camp location but not sure how service will be. I am hoping to set up right near the A that's on spa's creek on my map.

We will start at pumpkin Hollow rd. Hoping to roll out at 8am sat morning. If that's to early we can meet when we cross over the mtn parkway.

A couple of the trails we will run inside Hollerwood may be more difficult, and can be bypassed but your jeep looks pretty similar to everyone else who is coming so should be fine for them

How about you message me a phone number and I can call/text where we set up camp

Last edited:

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I just got back from flooding my WJ in the creek behind my house. I decided to go exploring further downstream than I have ever gone and found a good deep hole that I managed to sink her in. After walking back to the house (soaking wet from falling in the creek) got the wife to come down with her WJ (no small feat) and after some winching and pulling and jumping got it started and out of the hole and back to the house. Drying it out now and will go through it tomorrow. With a little luck I'll catch up to y'all before you break camp Saturday morning.

Reactions: offroadohio

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I just got the Jeep running again today, but I still have numerous electrical issues (mainly a CCD bus communication problem) that I will have to figure out. No gauges, no windows, rear wiper runs continuously, audio amp seems kaput. My center console was still full of water until I dumped it yesterday.

I look forward to pics and hope I can run the trail at some point later this year. Gotta get ready for Overland Expo East.

You have fun, and be safe!

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Don't worry I know all about water

I have water in the transmission the gas and over the bottom of seat on padding side
I did get it on dashcam. I had a toolbox sitting in back, just inside the hatch. When I opened it up to get some tools, it was full of water. Lid opening was about 6-8 inches above the top of my bumper (looks similar to yours). Emptying out everything right now. Still had it packed from the Redbird trip. Luckily I bought the extended warranty on my Nikon. My GoPro and GeekPro were in their waterproof housings, so they made it OK. Hopefully get it all cleaned up this weekend.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I had water/mud in the fuel tank, which made it to the injectors and one stuck open. I fought a misfire for an entire tank of fuel, finally changed injectors and it cured it but it was to late, spun a rod bearing the next day. ecu and all that dried out after a few days sittign in the garage out of the vehicle.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
WoW!!! I am so bummed that I missed this trip. On the plus side, I am so glad that I didn't slow ya'll down. I have had new problem every day. I have solved each problem as it came up, but some required parts that would not have been available on the trail. I didn't push it like I usually do, and am still driving the WJ daily.

I would love to get a map of this route. I really wanna run it...

Thanks for the pics and comments!

cb919er

Rank 0

Contributor I

not to revive an old thread, but I'm looking to take the DBBB in the next couple months. If that giant mud/water hole on the actually byway or one of your side trails? Just wondering.

Thanks!

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

Are you referring to the mud hole in the video that I shared earlier in this thread?

If so that video is not even from the Daniel Boone that is here in Ohio and was posted in response to another comment.

I did not encounter any mud holes that were anything to worry about on the entire Daniel Boone route

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: slymoan