Dalton Highway

• HTML tutorial

Crutledge

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Jasper, Texas
Member #

IMG_5019.PNG Something that started out as a well a joking suggestion has started to develop into what I feel like is going to be a pretty epic trip. A group of friends and I have been talking about the idea of making a trip in July of 2019 from all over the United States meeting up in Seattle, Wa. and driving from there to Prudhoe Bay, Ak.
My reason for this thread is to ask if anyone here has made such a journey and what kind of preparations one should make for the trip.

Reactions: Clifford Zwiercan

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

Haven't made the trip but have seriously been thinking about it. I'd look at as much youtube as you can on the different people that have made the trip. Nearly all of them have suggestions about the things they didn't think of before hand.

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Is participation limited only to friends or are other overlander's welcome, curious because your start point is very close to my back door?

Irving Zisman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Yucaipa, CA
Member #

I have not done the trip yet, but I did make it out to the beginning of the Dalton when I was visiting my brother in Fairbanks last year. He told me that you will need to bring extra gas as there is only one gas station in Coldfoot where it is available. Be ready to pay about $6 a gallon in Coldfoot also. I did research the trip and found that if you want to see the Arctic Ocean when you get to Prudhoe Bay, you need to make arrangements before hand. All of that land is owned by the oil companies so you will not be able to drive to the ocean. You can pay (around $70 I think) to take a small van tour up to the ocean.

I have been wanting to do this trip on my dual sport bike for years now. Its just hard to come up with a month off work.

Here are a few pics I took at the beginning of the Dalton. As you can see, the permafrost keeps the trees stunted.

Attachments

Reactions: Crutledge

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Hey Terry I would consider going on a run like this. How much time are you anticipating?

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!
I am planning a 45 day trip up there and back from SoCal. Taking my time and going to enjoy the sights. Giving myself plenty of time if another adventure is close at hand. Will be stopping up there and back for a couple of days at my son's house in Vancouver, WA also to visit.
Keep in touch and subscribe to my thread
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/alasaka-bound.3806/#post-59940
I'll be updating that with info.

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

After I asked, I read your thread. So answered my own question. I might be able to pull that off. If I start a new job, then won't have time vacation time, but could afford it.
Challenges of not being retired. I will keep a eye on thread.
Looks fun

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
After I asked, I read your thread. So answered my own question. I might be able to pull that off. If I start a new job, then won't have time vacation time, but could afford it.
Challenges of not being retired. I will keep a eye on thread.
Looks fun

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
We could always hook up for part of the adventure if you need to get back home early.

BigDogKona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Blaine
Last Name
Wiles
Member #

My dad and I drove to from Portland Oregon to Prudhoe Bay in 1997. Bone stock 97 Dodge Dakota 4x4 extended cab. If you go during summer, any vehicle can make it. The hardier the vehicle, the better, but if you take it easy any vehicle can make it. The only "obstacle" on the Dalton is 400 miles of gravel pot holes. Ideal vehicle would be a Ford Raptor because of the awesome suspension... but as I said, a Subaru could make the trip just fine. The biggest issue you need to prepare for is bringing extra fuel. There was one stretch in Canada where we had to fill up from our extra gas cans or we would have been stranded. That was in a pickup with 15-17 MPG. If your vehicle has a large tank or gets better mileage then that, it won't be as big of an issue. We brought two spare tires, but actually went the entire trip without a single flat tire. We also gave the big rigs on the Dalton tons of room and would pull over as they passed... they appreciate it a lot and we made it all the way up and back without breaking our windshield. Unfortunately it was cracked in a construction zone in British Columbia on our way home. It was a trip I will never forget.

Reactions: gtomike