Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Hi, I'm in search for some "local" advice.
We are planning our summer 2021 trip (if vivid allows) and we would like to explore the east part of Europe as we never ever went there. (Same on us we know)
We only have 1 week so to keep the transit travel short (we live in Belgium, Hasselt area)I was thinking of the Czech Republic (Usti, Pilsen or Karlovy Vary to be precise).
Is these region suitable to do greenlaning and wild camping? And does anyone know of any good roadbooks for this region.

Alternatively, is Poland a better alternative? Or any other suggestions are welcome.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Eastern Europe in general has much to offer for overlanders. Beautiful nature, lonely and original areas, great tracks and also interesting culture, lively cities as well as exciting history.

Poland is of course much bigger than the Czech Republic and for a week I would focus on one or two areas. Both countries have interesting areas to see.

To Poland I can think of the large dune area in Europe (national park) at the Baltic Sea (the area is beautiful anyway) near Leba, the beautiful Masurian Lake District (possibility of various ourdoor activities), the lonely and pristine Beskid Mountains region. Interesting and beautiful to look at is the city of Krakow and not far from there the forest areas (in winter skiing areas). If you are interested in history you can visit the Wolfschanze bunkers and Auschwitz-Birkenau museum. This is just which comes spontaneously to my mind. There are plenty of nice little and natural campsites.

In Czech Republic the cities of Marienbad and Karlsbad and surroundings are nice. I liked also the area around Krumnau at the river Moldau. But haven´t ben there for a while and heard that it is quite touristic now. Some years ago I have been to the area of the Jeseníky mountains which is in the norteast of CZ, beautiful nature there.

I will look through my harddrive later and see if I can find some pictures to give you some foretaste of what may await you...

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Not offroad, but these avenue streets in Poland are lovely

Sanddunes near Leba, a beautiful national park

Teutonic Knights Marienburg is the largest brick building in Europe

At the Baltic Sea

And last but not least, good polish beer ;-)

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

El-Dracho, you reached the point. There are 3 main directions east: Coastline, Polish mountains, Czech Republik. +/- 100km up and down make those directions interesting.
Still 1 week time for any of it makes the travel just a RUN!!! Don't do this :smirk:

Reactions: El-Dracho

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Been in Poland like three times. It is good to be there. For a week just going out and have some fun it is good enough.
If you dont have more, you just need to do it.

Reactions: El-Dracho