Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
So i've been looking for a bed cage for a Tacoma (or really for any midsized truck with a 5' bed) and I haven't been able to find one that I specifically like. the closest one that I have found is the Wilco off road ADV Rack (Found Here - https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/adv-sl-bed-rack/)
The reason im trying to find a bed cage is I'm a mountain biker, and of all the racks I have used (hitch, roof, etc...) the best one i've found in terms of ease of use is a tailgate pad. I love it. absolute favorite. but I like the option of having a roof basket as well, and an uninterrupted one at that. What can I say, I'm picky haha

Enter, the Truck Cage.

Bed Frame V2.PNG

Now, this is only the second one i've designed, but here it is. this allows for about 2 inches of clearance above the cab, has (possible) mounting points side and top rail for tracts, hi-lift, etc. The other thing that I wanted was a bed floor/frame rail attachment point, as it's (probably) stronger than the top of the bed.

To find out the max weight on the front half of the cage, I have ran it through a simple beam force simulation

Bed Frame V2 200 lbs.PNG

So this is simulating 200lbs on the front end of the rack. total deflection of the rack is about 26mm, or about 1.0 inch. I ran it with 500lbs on the front and it deflected about 2.5 inches

The other thing I am aware of is that the tacoma has mounting locations for the OEM roof bars, and a possible reduction of deflection of the front could use a forward mounting location, but would add stress on the cab

a couple specs -
1.5in 1020 steel tube, wall thickness of .120in
1.0in 1020 steel tube, wall thickness of .120in
total weight of the system is about 175 lbs

so - Thoughts? if you could add anything, what would you? i've been toying with the idea of a ladder, but maybe not.

Cheers