Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

For many of us with older rigs or rigs with hungry power plants Cummins announcement into the crate engine market is a very interesting prospect. Over the years many have shoehorned 3.9L 4bt or 6bt engines for better torque and MPGs. Just about every non-cummins rig that I have owned I've considered doing a transplant. Speculation is a price point between 7K - 10K however in Cummins press release they state they will be competing with the standard small block swap which might put cost lower. Does this option look interesting to anyone else?

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'd pay more than $7k but would really prefer not to. This has been a strong consideration for me since I bought my Jeep in 2007.
Did you see the Dirt Every Day episode where they put one in Tube Sock and put it to the test against the V8 swap and the stock 6 cyl? The rep flat out says they are targeting jeep owners.

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Did you see the Dirt Every Day episode where they put one in Tube Sock and put it to the test against the V8 swap and the stock 6 cyl? The rep flat out says they are targeting jeep owners.
No I will have to look that up... thanks

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Oh yeah, I forgot they put one in tube sock and drove it in 14 foot of water for a half hour

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am very curious how they call it 50 state legal. What are the hoops to jump through to make it legal in my '96 Cherokee?

I would love to go diesel in my XJ.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am very curious how they call it 50 state legal. What are the hoops to jump through to make it legal in my '96 Cherokee?

I would love to go diesel in my XJ.
I have seen some documentation supporting up to early 2000s it would meet CARB requirements therefore be allow as a swap.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have seen some documentation supporting up to early 2000s it would meet CARB requirements therefore be allow as a swap.
Do you by any chance have a link to any of that?

The Cummins site sent me to CARB and some page about not being able to modify a vehicle unless parts have an E.O. number or something like that.

I can't imagine how Cummins could come up with E.O. numbers for these things. E.O. numbers are vehicle, model year and even engine specific.

I expect this is a referee required process, but would like to know what steps Cummins has taken to pave the way.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Do you by any chance have a link to any of that?

The Cummins site sent me to CARB and some page about not being able to modify a vehicle unless parts have an E.O. number or something like that.

I can't imagine how Cummins could come up with E.O. numbers for these things. E.O. numbers are vehicle, model year and even engine specific.

I expect this is a referee required process, but would like to know what steps Cummins has taken to pave the way.
Digging around I found a few 4wheel magazines that just state 1999 or older. No surprise couldn't find anything on CARB website even looked though a lot of Cummins applications none where for the 2.8.