Crossing the Border Into Mexico (ISO Tips and Advice)

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

In January 2019 we plan on heading into the interior of Mexico. Crossing the border from Texas and heading all the way down to Puebla, Puebla, MX which is about 2 hours SW of Mexico City.

Traveling will be myself, my wife, and our 2 year old son.

This will be our first International overlanding trip. We're pretty green but not afraid. YOLO right?

So I'm looking for any and all tips from folks who have been down this road before. I have a ton of questions, so I'll list some of the more important ones here. If anyone can answer them for us we'd be truly appreciative!

Question 1: Any tips for border crossing from Texas to Mexico?

Question 2: Our Jeep (like most decked out overlanding rigs) is going to attract a bit of attention. So we're concerned about theft, corrupt law enforcement, safe parking, and places to camp.

Question 3: I'd like to increase my insurance on my rig to cover ALL of my mods fully. However, my understanding is that US Insurance is not accepted in Mexico, but that there are places where you can purchase insurance for international overlanding. Anyone heard of this unicorn?

Question 4: I've been told that we need to carry our license, insurance, passports, and title to the vehicle and copies of all the aforementioned. Strangely enough, the title seems to be the one everyone talks about most online. But we don't have the title. The bank still owns the Jeep as of this writing. So what do I substitute for that? I'm pretty confused here.

Question 5: Are we crazy to do this? Please someone tell me you've done this, or point us to someone who has, preferably with children so that I can follow them and learn from them.

Also looking for any other tips and advice for overlanding in Mexico that isn't covered in my questions above.

Thanks for reading and responding!

#OB14045
Eric AKA Jeepsies

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I cannot answer it all. I have been on the highway from Mexico City to Oaxaca Puebla Is along there. But my in-laws are from Mexico city and I was just along for the ride.

How is your Spanish? You would find it very helpful.

You might want to continue onto Oaxaca if you have time. One of my favourite places in Mexico.

Papers we carry passports for all 3 of us. Son got his first at 6 months. Birth certificates and marriage certificates. Health travel insurance as well. Cash, usually mexican us and Canadian. Numbers for consulates

Sorry could not answer most of your posted questions.
I have yet to be in the road there where I did not see military convoys. Have seen stoped at check points. Police tend to use their lights all the time, at least in the bigger cities.
Have eaten at amazing roadside places. Love the people.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Papers we carry passports for all 3 of us. Son got his first at 6 months. Birth certificates and marriage certificates.
Didn’t think of birth and marriage certs. Thanks! I’ll add those to the list for sure.

Appreciate the tip!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have never been asked for a title. Doesn't mean it can't happen. Will your state issue a title showing a lien on the vehicle?

While this is specific to Baja a lot of your questions can be answered here: https://www.bajabound.com

https://www.bajabound.com/before/

While I don't want to steer you away from OB. There are lots of discussions on Expedition Portal on Mexico travel.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm curious about the title situation. I'm planning a trip to Ensanada to visit a relative there and having the title that never crossed my mind. Definitely keeping up with this thread.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Let me preface this by saying I have no experience with the Texas/Mexico border. However, my wife and I live in San Antonio, and she grew up here. Most of our friends have lived here most of their lives. As an outsider, I’ve posed the question “why not go into Mexico” multiple times. All of our friends and family who have been in Mexico, have strongly discouraged us from traveling down there as an overlanding trip. I understand Baja to be a different sort of place, but in general, it seems that most of the Mexican cities south of the Texas border have huge cartel and drug problems, and driving down there in an attention grabbing decked out overland rig is just ASKING for trouble.

This is not my personal recommendation, but the universal recommendation I’ve received from San Antonio natives. Who lets be honest, probably know what they’re talking about.

I would love for someone to change my mind though!

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Last I traveled interior to Mexico they asked for registration, but not title. We also got the Mexico visa at the border, in my case it was free because I wasn't staying longer than 7 days. This was a trip to Baja, but we entered south of Arizona, not California. We entered in the Mexico state of Sonora. We also had Mexico accepted vehicle insurance. Our timing was a week or two ahead of the Baja 1000 so there was a lot of pre-run traffic in the Ensenada area. Never once had any kind of issue during the entire trip.

ben

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I have never been asked for a title. Doesn't mean it can't happen. Will your state issue a title showing a lien on the vehicle?

While this is specific to Baja a lot of your questions can be answered here: https://www.bajabound.com

https://www.bajabound.com/before/

While I don't want to steer you away from OB. There are lots of discussions on Expedition Portal on Mexico travel.
100 points for this if they were mine to grant. Thanks for the links, we'll check those out. I'm familiar with Expedition Portal as well, but I've really gotten into this community so I'm hoping that more and more folks will share their personal insights.

Great tip on asking for the state to issue a title with a lien. I'll look into that.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Let me preface this by saying I have no experience with the Texas/Mexico border. However, my wife and I live in San Antonio, and she grew up here. Most of our friends have lived here most of their lives. As an outsider, I’ve posed the question “why not go into Mexico” multiple times. All of our friends and family who have been in Mexico, have strongly discouraged us from traveling down there as an overlanding trip. I understand Baja to be a different sort of place, but in general, it seems that most of the Mexican cities south of the Texas border have huge cartel and drug problems, and driving down there in an attention grabbing decked out overland rig is just ASKING for trouble.

This is not my personal recommendation, but the universal recommendation I’ve received from San Antonio natives. Who lets be honest, probably know what they’re talking about.

I would love for someone to change my mind though!
Honestly this has been the biggest struggle and concern for us. We started our fulltime travel in Texas and I've heard much of the same as you have from friends and neighbors. But I can't live scared right? We're going to do it, and we're just doing our best to be as prepared as possible. Not going to lie though, we're trepidatious to be sure.

No question that our Jeep will attract attention, and probably all the wrong kind. Not sure what to do about that.

Like you I'm hoping someone will allay our concerns. Thanks Ben.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Question 1: Any tips for border crossing from Texas to Mexico? Make sure their are no weapons of any kind in your vehicle, Not even a spent cartridge, or even a hint of firearms (like a decal on window). Obviously have all your papers.

Question 2: Our Jeep (like most decked out overlanding rigs) is going to attract a bit of attention. So we're concerned about theft, corrupt law enforcement, safe parking, and places to camp. Don't bring it. Seriously. Get a beater or get a rental while in Mexico. If you get in an accident, no matter how minor, your vehicle will be impounded and you could be arrested until they sort it out.

Question 3: I'd like to increase my insurance on my rig to cover ALL of my mods fully. However, my understanding is that US Insurance is not accepted in Mexico, but that there are places where you can purchase insurance for international overlanding. Anyone heard of this unicorn? None for Mexico.

Question 4: I've been told that we need to carry our license, insurance, passports, and title to the vehicle and copies of all the aforementioned. Strangely enough, the title seems to be the one everyone talks about most online. But we don't have the title. The bank still owns the Jeep as of this writing. So what do I substitute for that? I'm pretty confused here. A copy of the title.

Question 5: Are we crazy to do this? Please someone tell me you've done this, or point us to someone who has, preferably with children so that I can follow them and learn from them. Yes it crazy to drive through Mexico with your 2 yo. I did it with 3 male adults, one of whom was born in Mexico and could speak Spanish. We bought a beater vehicle solely for the journey. We entered through Laredo. I would not do it now, it is much more dangerous.

Realize there is next to zero health care along most of the journey. Your 2 yo gets hurt, something as simple as a broken arm, what is your plan? How will you pay after you drive 500 miles to a hospital? A broken down vehicle? A car-jacking?

You have the whole US to explore and this is the trip you came up with?

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Question 1: Any tips for border crossing from Texas to Mexico? Make sure their are no weapons of any kind in your vehicle, Not even a spent cartridge, or even a hint of firearms (like a decal on window). Obviously have all your papers.

Question 2: Our Jeep (like most decked out overlanding rigs) is going to attract a bit of attention. So we're concerned about theft, corrupt law enforcement, safe parking, and places to camp. Don't bring it. Seriously. Get a beater or get a rental while in Mexico. If you get in an accident, no matter how minor, your vehicle will be impounded and you could be arrested until they sort it out.

Question 3: I'd like to increase my insurance on my rig to cover ALL of my mods fully. However, my understanding is that US Insurance is not accepted in Mexico, but that there are places where you can purchase insurance for international overlanding. Anyone heard of this unicorn? None for Mexico.

Question 4: I've been told that we need to carry our license, insurance, passports, and title to the vehicle and copies of all the aforementioned. Strangely enough, the title seems to be the one everyone talks about most online. But we don't have the title. The bank still owns the Jeep as of this writing. So what do I substitute for that? I'm pretty confused here. A copy of the title.

Question 5: Are we crazy to do this? Please someone tell me you've done this, or point us to someone who has, preferably with children so that I can follow them and learn from them. Yes it crazy to drive through Mexico with your 2 yo. I did it with 3 male adults, one of whom was born in Mexico and could speak Spanish. We bought a beater vehicle solely for the journey. We entered through Laredo. I would not do it now, it is much more dangerous.

Realize there is next to zero health care along most of the journey. Your 2 yo gets hurt, something as simple as a broken arm, what is your plan? How will you pay after you drive 500 miles to a hospital? A broken down vehicle? A car-jacking?

You have the whole US to explore and this is the trip you came up with?
Appreciate your insight. But having traveled around the world including Antarctica twice, if I’d listened to everyone who told me not to go I wouldn’t be where I am today.

Having said that, thank you for your insight. I do have a decal or two I might need to remove.

For all others please continue to offer insight, we’re going. Thanks!

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Appreciate your insight. But having traveled around the world including Antarctica twice, if I’d listened to everyone who told me not to go I wouldn’t be where I am today.
RIF

I didn't say don't go, I said do not drive a target rich POV, unless you are OK with losing it, and have a plan for your kid and self when bad things happen.

Also, memorize the phone number for the US Embassy & Consulates. This alone will get you on the fast track when things go south and this is very important. Do not rely on having it programmed into your phone or being able to google it.

Also, make sure you are all up on your immunizations.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Not sure how much effort it would take, but as much as you can research your desired route along with any incidents that have taken place in the last 6 months along that route. You may be able to proactively avoid issues that way.

From my limited experience, the more inland you get (farther from border and border towns) the better. Keep as low as a profile as you can, and be friendly everywhere you go. For example, I wave at the military convoys that I see passing when I'm down there, talk to the locals such as the gas station attendants (more than just asking for directions), tip generously when you can, etc. Avoid traveling at night. Stick to the main roads as much as possible. Overall, use your best judgement of character, reserve your full trust, and you'll be fine most likely.

I personally enjoyed being away from the big cities, and chose to only pass through them when necessary. I stopped in the small towns for fuel, food, lodging, etc. When selecting lodging, there will often be options that have gated compounds or some sort of security. They are great for added peace of mind.

Mostly the Mexican people are very hard working and nice people. They are way more friendly than the average American.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

ben

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Not sure how much effort it would take, but as much as you can research your desired route along with any incidents that have taken place in the last 6 months along that route. You may be able to proactively avoid issues that way.

From my limited experience, the more inland you get (farther from border and border towns) the better. Keep as low as a profile as you can, and be friendly everywhere you go. For example, I wave at the military convoys that I see passing when I'm down there, talk to the locals such as the gas station attendants (more than just asking for directions), tip generously when you can, etc. Avoid traveling at night. Stick to the main roads as much as possible. Overall, use your best judgement of character, reserve your full trust, and you'll be fine most likely.

I personally enjoyed being away from the big cities, and chose to only pass through them when necessary. I stopped in the small towns for fuel, food, lodging, etc. When selecting lodging, there will often be options that have gated compounds or some sort of security. They are great for added peace of mind.

Mostly the Mexican people are very hard working and nice people. They are way more friendly than the average American.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

ben
Great tips! Still haven't decided on route but we will definitely research the route as much as we're able. We're really looking forward to the trip. I'm half Mexican myself on my mother's side and I speak fluent Spanish. My background is in Federal Law Enforcement of 20 years before I retired. So I have built in heightened situational awareness, and the ability and training to deescalate situations when possible, but also to be able to handle business when needed. Obviously I won't be armed and that will factor in. But it wouldn't be the first time I've taken an armed person down without drawing a weapon if it came to that.

Having said all of that my experience in Mexico (not overlanding) has been extensive. I've found that most of the folks we've encountered have been kind, hard working, and genuinely friendly people. We'll see how this all shakes out. We're in the research stage of the details. It's not a question of "if" we're going. It's just how we're doing it and what precautions and what not at this point.

You are around the 10th person to tell me never to travel at night in Mexico. That's definitely part of the "how" at this point. I appreciate that. We'll be keeping our eyes open for gated parking. In the past I've also paid a local to watch my gear and they are typically very vigilant for a reasonable tip to us, which is typically a generous tip to them.

Thanks again!

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Reactions: Mike474 and JimInBC

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Most definitely. I have a local a tip to watch our motorcycles while we did some quick site seeing and shopping. I'm sure he was making a living by doing this in the this particular parking lot, but I was happy to have an eye on my stuff and to help him out. I pretty much gave every gas station attendant all of the change he handed me back as a part of the transaction because they always provided more than just fuel in the end. My wife is from Mexico and I also speak the language very well. That certainly helps a lot.

I'm hoping to return to Baja this winter for at least a week, this time in my Jeep instead of a motorcycle. Very beautiful place. You may want to consider making that a leg of your trip and using a ferry or other transport to get your Jeep to the mainland. If not, save it for another trip.

ben

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Great tips! Still haven't decided on route but we will definitely research the route as much as we're able. We're really looking forward to the trip. I'm half Mexican myself on my mother's side and I speak fluent Spanish. My background is in Federal Law Enforcement of 20 years before I retired. So I have built in heightened situational awareness, and the ability and training to deescalate situations when possible, but also to be able to handle business when needed. Obviously I won't be armed and that will factor in. But it wouldn't be the first time I've taken an armed person down without drawing a weapon if it came to that.

Having said all of that my experience in Mexico (not overlanding) has been extensive. I've found that most of the folks we've encountered have been kind, hard working, and genuinely friendly people. We'll see how this all shakes out. We're in the research stage of the details. It's not a question of "if" we're going. It's just how we're doing it and what precautions and what not at this point.

You are around the 10th person to tell me never to travel at night in Mexico. That's definitely part of the "how" at this point. I appreciate that. We'll be keeping our eyes open for gated parking. In the past I've also paid a local to watch my gear and they are typically very vigilant for a reasonable tip to us, which is typically a generous tip to them.

Thanks again!

Eric AKA Jeepsies
Eric,

A few more thoughts, though I am guessing some do not need to be told, but I feel is ok to repeat. Be friendly and be respectful and be alert. I have been in cities as varied as Ciudad Juarez to CDMX to Huatulco. I stand out as a non local everywhere pretty much but CDMX, but treating people with a smile and respect has always gotten me through everything. Speaking Spanish helps, though has surprised some when I do. :) That being said, I have had no guns pointed in my direction, and spent most of my time in cities or on highways. I really envy your trip and look forward to reading about it.

Some other thoughts as I remembered our first trip with our 18 MO son. Stock a good med kit review intestinal distress and infection protocols before you go, get some broad spectrum antibiotics, stuff for re hydration, especially for the little guy. Bring water purification, just in case you cannot purchase it. You will be a ways from medical care I am guessing so bring what you need plus extras. Reload your prescription stuff before you go.

Be safe, have fun, and keep your eye up.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Eric,

A few more thoughts, though I am guessing some do not need to be told, but I feel is ok to repeat. Be friendly and be respectful and be alert. I have been in cities as varied as Ciudad Juarez to CDMX to Huatulco. I stand out as a non local everywhere pretty much but CDMX, but treating people with a smile and respect has always gotten me through everything. Speaking Spanish helps, though has surprised some when I do. :) That being said, I have had no guns pointed in my direction, and spent most of my time in cities or on highways. I really envy your trip and look forward to reading about it.

Some other thoughts as I remembered our first trip with our 18 MO son. Stock a good med kit review intestinal distress and infection protocols before you go, get some broad spectrum antibiotics, stuff for re hydration, especially for the little guy. Bring water purification, just in case you cannot purchase it. You will be a ways from medical care I am guessing so bring what you need plus extras. Reload your prescription stuff before you go.

Be safe, have fun, and keep your eye up.
Solid, solid advice Jim. Thank you. Meds and the medkit had crossed my mind and I keep a pretty decent first aid kit in the Jeep at all times. But taking the time to review intestinal distress and infection protocols? Priceless. Also BRAVO ZULU on the recommendation for broad spectrum antibiotics, rehydration stuff for the little one and water purification. If could have given your post 2 likes I would have.. heck even three.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Reactions: JimInBC

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Has anyone here purchased International Health Insurance for their journey south of the border? If so, who did you use?

Thanks!

Advocate II

Solid, solid advice Jim. Thank you. Meds and the medkit had crossed my mind and I keep a pretty decent first aid kit in the Jeep at all times. But taking the time to review intestinal distress and infection protocols? Priceless. Also BRAVO ZULU on the recommendation for broad spectrum antibiotics, rehydration stuff for the little one and water purification. If could have given your post 2 likes I would have.. heck even three.

Eric AKA Jeepsies
Here’s Group Buy we have going for your water purification needs: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/lifesaver-portable-water-filter-jerrycan-september-group-buy.18812/#post-254123