Coyote Works

• HTML tutorial

MetalHeadXJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

I don't know how many people follow Casey (Coyote Works) but I'll tell you some people in the off-road community just make it look bad. Not Casey, I always enjoyed his videos, but the FB page of CRAWL Magazine posted an article about what happened to him and you should read the comments. One guy said it was "planned", yeah, let me plan to burn my Rubicon to the ground 25 miles from the nearest road. One guy referred to Casey as a "sharp crayon" because he opened the hood when he saw smoke?? Like if you saw smoke coming out from under your hood you wouldn't open it?? I don't know why some people bother to open their mouths honestly cause it really makes them look bad. have a little sympathy for a fellow wheeler who lost his vehicle.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
These people are the reason I don't post in some forums. According to them, their experts and have to prove it by bashing people. Unfortunately once the negative thought is planted it grows. The other problem we have is TV. All the "reality shows" are scripted to have drama. People wont watch unless something bad happens or they blow something up. I think if he did it on purpose he would have left the fuel can on the back.
Years ago, I was told never to open a hood on a burning vehicle because it could flare up and burn you. I have the impression that's more of a personal safety thing. Im miles from nowhere, you bet im going to open the hood and try to put out the fire. Im sure none of the haters knew that engine fire's were a problem on some first gen JK's.

Scott

Reactions: JCWages and sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've always liked Casey's videos. He seems like a totally down to earth, honest guy. I felt really bad for what he went through in that situation, but man, did he keep a level head!

I completely agree with you guys in regards to the negative comments that people feel compelled to post, whether it's in regards to Casey's vehicle fire, or just anything in general on the internet, and in forums.

I can honestly say that's why I have so much respect for the members and people that post here on OB. This community is extremely mature and tends to keep things very civil. It's refreshing, to say the least, especially when it comes to a forum. Well done OB members!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

We are at the point where you could put up a picture of a kitten and say I love kittens they're so cute. And some asshat would respond with kittens are the devil they're the reason for all our financial problems or something completely stupid like that. Trolls will beat rolls and there will always be a keyboard Warrior internet genius who has never actually dealt with the situation at hand but has the best solution possible

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

He did well.
I've seen his video.
I'll be on the lookout for his future vids.

For the sake of learning... I've heard that if you have a fire in the engine bay to pop the hood but do NOT raise it. Just have it popped enough to be able to blast your extinguisher into the engine bay. (obviously turn the engine off first)

Also... those gas struts that hold open hoods, windows, or doors.... they EXPLODE once they reach critical temperature.... I was amazed when I first saw that happen. I thought the gas tank would be worse... the gas adds to the fire but the explosive bits are typically the struts.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabjku and MazeVX

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For the sake of learning... I've heard that if you have a fire in the engine bay to pop the hood but do NOT raise it. Just have it popped enough to be able to blast your extinguisher into the engine bay. (obviously turn the engine off first)
This is pretty much how it was explained to me. The raising of the hood can create a chimney effect drawing a rush of air in the bottom which will cause the fire to flair upward. I was also told, you try to put out the fire from the bottom first before opening the hood.
Im of the opinion that all of it depends on too many factors. He had said in the video he didn't realize it was fire. I may have thought at first I blew a hose or something. The idiots talking crap would most likely have done the same.

I do some of my trips solo. I have always tried to bring gear that I could use if I had to walk away from the vehicle. I never considered having to move quickly. One thing I got out of the video was rethinking my gear organization for this reason. He had commented on running out of battery power. In my console, I have my 2 meter handheld and charger as well as a charger for my cell. If I didn't have access to my vehicle those would be useless. I keep a small pouch with tooth brush, t/p, aspirin and a few other toiletries. Im expanding that to add my radio, chargers and folding solar panel. Im also adding another fire extinguisher.

Im saddened by what happened to him and glad he wasn't injured. I will be using his experience to better myself.

Scott

Last edited:

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
As a former professional firefighter I like to believe I know everything anyone could know about fire, but of course that’s absolutely insane. However, I may know more than some people. If someone wants to contradict me because they actually know what they are talking about please do, and the rest of you should pay attention to what they say.

I have not seen the video being referenced and am not commenting on it.

If you have your wits about you, smell what is coming from under the hood. Acrid, plastic, nasty means fire. Wet means steam, like maybe a blown hose. Either can be extremely dangerous. If it’s steam it’s going to self correct after a while. If it’s smoke things could get better or get worse. If you are considering opening the hood, feel it first WITH YOUR GLOVED HAND! You do keep leather gloves at reach at all times, right? If it’s very hot at all, start unloading your vehicle.

If your think you want to open your hood keep in mind you will be reaching in for the latch WITH YOUR GLOVED HAND into an area you cannot see. As soon as you open the hood you will direct all the heat and smoke or steam at your face. Stop to consider if this is really a good idea. You are possibly facing a choice between losing your vehicle or permanently maiming or even killing yourself. I know which I’d choose.

Also please keep in mind that modern bumpers have pressurized pieces that explode when heated and will be hurling a large object away from the vehicle with considerable force. And there’s also all the toxins to breathe in while all this is going on.

Personally, I keep a jump bag behind the seat with gear I need to survive. I also keep two fire extinguishers in the cab. I’m not saying I wouldn’t try to put out a fire, I’m just saying I wouldn’t do so if I felt I was risking my safety.

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

As a former professional firefighter I like to believe I know everything anyone could know about fire, but of course that’s absolutely insane. However, I may know more than some people. If someone wants to contradict me because they actually know what they are talking about please do, and the rest of you should pay attention to what they say.

I have not seen the video being referenced and am not commenting on it.

If you have your wits about you, smell what is coming from under the hood. Acrid, plastic, nasty means fire. Wet means steam, like maybe a blown hose. Either can be extremely dangerous. If it’s steam it’s going to self correct after a while. If it’s smoke things could get better or get worse. If you are considering opening the hood, feel it first WITH YOUR GLOVED HAND! You do keep leather gloves at reach at all times, right? If it’s very hot at all, start unloading your vehicle.

If your think you want to open your hood keep in mind you will be reaching in for the latch WITH YOUR GLOVED HAND into an area you cannot see. As soon as you open the hood you will direct all the heat and smoke or steam at your face. Stop to consider if this is really a good idea. You are possibly facing a choice between losing your vehicle or permanently maiming or even killing yourself. I know which I’d choose.

Also please keep in mind that modern bumpers have pressurized pieces that explode when heated and will be hurling a large object away from the vehicle with considerable force. And there’s also all the toxins to breathe in while all this is going on.

Personally, I keep a jump bag behind the seat with gear I need to survive. I also keep two fire extinguishers in the cab. I’m not saying I wouldn’t try to put out a fire, I’m just saying I wouldn’t do so if I felt I was risking my safety.
RedRob, thanks for that very informative post. I know I learned a few things!

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
it is sad that social media is the judge jury and executioner now a days.

after watching that video, really made me think of how lucky i have been in the past. i have parked in very similar areas over the years..

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

I don’t follow Coyote Works that closely, but he always seems like a decent, well-intentioned guy. He often makes it a goal to find a point of interest on an old map and then go try to find it via off-roading and camping/hiking — basically that’s overlanding IMHO. So watching that burning Jeep video, my heart broke for the guy.

Some really irritating comments (on YouTube, etc) were remarking how he could stay so calm, saying he appeared odd or weird. While I don’t know the guy, all I can say is that he was basically the same guy he is in all of his videos. He seems to want to capture everything for his audience, good bad or otherwise. Further, he seemed to be in shock and was reacting on that level.

What I haven’t seen yet — and would love if anyone had an update — was whether he got to a root cause as to what caused the fire in the first place? I’ve seen wild speculation but nothing concrete.

Reactions: M Rose

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

As a former professional firefighter I like to believe I know everything anyone could know about fire, but of course that’s absolutely insane. However, I may know more than some people. If someone wants to contradict me because they actually know what they are talking about please do, and the rest of you should pay attention to what they say...
RedRob, thanks for this, very good info.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Only just saw the video.. pretty damn bad.. but yea, never read much comments, to much keyboard warriors online.. Sometimes I long for the days we didn't have internet yet xD

Reactions: PB&Me

Lumbjack_MC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Prineville, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Countryman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7FTC
His videos are what moved my interest from general off roading to overlanding. Sad to see his jeep go. But I'm excited to see what he does when he gets back out there!

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
Crazy video and definitely made me rethink my packing arrangement on my trip last weekend. I was amazed he was so calm. I don't know him at all, but anyone that thinks he would burn his jeep to the ground on purpose is just silly....

Reactions: PB&Me

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

I had an over charging problem where my alternator burntout and started to over cook my battery and started melting the charging harness

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

things happen & sometime we do not have the actual answers why they happen. I've read that some on Facebook accused him of fraud to his own vehicle. That's some pretty sick deranged thinking. I've followed Casey for quite a long time on You Tube. IMO he comes off very careful & pretty knowledgeable in many areas of his topics. I wish him the best & a successful adventures in the future.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

things happen & sometime we do not have the actual answers why they happen. I've read that some on Facebook accused him of fraud to his own vehicle. That's some pretty sick deranged thinking. I've followed Casey for quite a long time on You Tube. IMO he comes off very careful & pretty knowledgeable in many areas of his topics. I wish him the best & a successful adventures in the future.
I agree with you Don. Casey's not that type of person. Plus, if you did that, you wouldn't post it on Youtube for all of the world to see lol.