Utah
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ramsey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7EYT
I ran across an ad nearby selling what appears to be Renogy solar kits, at a steep discount over for example Amazon.
The Ad doesn't say Renogy, but it shows their equipment. When i asked why the price was low, seller said it is "overstock". I can't really imagine there is overstock solar equipment, but maybe I am wrong? I would believe counterfeit, or a different brand altogether, and they are using an incorrect photo.
What do you think?
Here is the same product on Amazon:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Theres quite a few "counterfeit" items on amazon. Most are trash. On the other hand solar comes in two qualities, good and poor. If their cheap, low end panel's they may not put out that well. The panels and controllers may be made with cheap materials and have a short life span. If your buying one for your rig, you wont notice the output difference, if your setting up your house, that's different. I've been looking to change the system I run and cant decide whether or not to pay 1-2 hundred extra for name brand.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Theres quite a few "counterfeit" items on amazon. Most are trash. On the other hand solar comes in two qualities, good and poor. If their cheap, low end panel's they may not put out that well. The panels and controllers may be made with cheap materials and have a short life span. If your buying one for your rig, you wont notice the output difference, if your setting up your house, that's different. I've been looking to change the system I run and cant decide whether or not to pay 1-2 hundred extra for name brand.
That's a problem for ALL of us beginners, no experience and not enough knowledge. That's me anyway !
Lanlubber

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Does the seller have a rating from buyers? Otherwise, it looks exactly the same to me.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
In the last few years, most solar companies have gone under. Everyone had jumped on the "solar bandwagon" and wanted panel's and controllers. Now we have the copies coming out to meet the demand. The demand has tapered off a bunch, driving the prices down and the companies cant stay in business. The OP stated, he was told the panels are over stock. It's more than possible they have these and their not selling. Renogy panels are very good. It would be nice if that's what they are.