haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hey everyone. Looking for a new set of tires for my wife's LR4. I am going with 18" wheels, so thankfully more options....I was originally debating between Nitto Ridge Grappler and Toyo Open COuntry A/T 3's, but then I came across the new Discoverer Rugged Trek. They are only $2 more per tire then the Toyo's. There don't seem to be many if any reviews of these yet. Does anyone have any feedback? I had Discoverer AT3's on my old ram and loved them, and these look pretty good so far.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Hey everyone. Looking for a new set of tires for my wife's LR4. I am going with 18" wheels, so thankfully more options....I was originally debating between Nitto Ridge Grappler and Toyo Open COuntry A/T 3's, but then I came across the new Discoverer Rugged Trek. They are only $2 more per tire then the Toyo's. There don't seem to be many if any reviews of these yet. Does anyone have any feedback? I had Discoverer AT3's on my old ram and loved them, and these look pretty good so far.
They are too new to find reviews right now. But they do come with a 60k warranty so thats nice. I currently run Coopers on my truck and I love them but, I notice that they have some decent vibration until they heat up good. Mine are the cooper discoverer atp's. Cooper is a good tire in my opinion. knock on wood but mine have done me well and no real problems. Theres a very good chance I will go back with them whenit is time for new tires. I'd say give it a month and there will be some reviews even though they wont be long term.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
They definitely look to be too new for any good reviews. I had AT3's on my old ram and they were pretty good. According to the cooper website they rate the AT3's as being more off road capable then these, so probably going to pass. From the description it looks like they may be more for looks then anything...

"The all-new Discoverer® Rugged Trek™ is the ultimate suburban cruiser. It’s an all-season tire featuring an aggressive tread design that delivers excellent traction and comfort for daily commutes and weekend adventures. Don’t be surprised to see other on-road tires shaking in their treads as you roll through your neighborhood with Discoverer® Rugged Trek™. "

Daneo

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I just put 40k onto a set of Discoverer AT3s. Great tire for everything except for mud (and most tires short of boggers aren't great in mud). I can recommend the AT3s, but I'm sure the Rugged Trek would be good too. I didn't see any mention of the Rugged Trek being severe snow rated. If you could confirm that aspect, it'd be a solid choice. As someone who has spent plenty of time looking into the nuances of many tires, trying to find the "best" one, I'd say they're all pretty good anymore. Pick how much noise you're OK, make sure it's snow rated if that's in your future, and pick the tread that captures your imagination. <puts on flame suit>

Daneo

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oh, and keep the load rating in mind too. Choose how much ride comfort (and acceleration) you're willing to give up for a burlier tire. I tend toward the lightest, lowest load rating that still meets the truck's specs in order to maintain ride quality. Putting E-load tires on a 4Runner tends to give it a dump truck-like feel.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Oh, and keep the load rating in mind too. Choose how much ride comfort (and acceleration) you're willing to give up for a burlier tire. I tend toward the lightest, lowest load rating that still meets the truck's specs in order to maintain ride quality. Putting E-load tires on a 4Runner tends to give it a dump truck-like feel.
For the size needed for the LR4 (265/65-18),there are hardly any e rated tires available. I'm thinking the Toyo Open Country A/T3 is going to be the option since it has the snowflake rating for if we get to go skiing eventually, its still slightly cheaper, has great reviews, and will look good on the truck (because thats the most important, lol).

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

If worried about the snow...

A three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service-rated. Originally used as a designation for winter tires, the 3PMSF symbol is now featured on some all-season and all-terrain tires with snow performance that meets the testing criteria.

• Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire.
So to put in different terms if a regular all terrain tire is rated at 100 then the snowflake symbol moves the rating to 110. These qualifications were put into place by the tire companies (USA) and rubber companies(Canada) to help people simply identify the tire (and sale more under the pretense that this is the only tire you should use in the snow). So unless you are traversing the artic I would think that an aggressive all terrain would suit you well in the snow BUT the snowflake stamped tire MAY do a tad bit better. Driving ability and skill is gonna help you more then the tire in most cases.

Reactions: KAIONE

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
If worried about the snow...

A three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol branded on a tire's sidewall indicates the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing to be considered severe snow service-rated. Originally used as a designation for winter tires, the 3PMSF symbol is now featured on some all-season and all-terrain tires with snow performance that meets the testing criteria.

• Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire.
So to put in different terms if a regular all terrain tire is rated at 100 then the snowflake symbol moves the rating to 110. These qualifications were put into place by the tire companies (USA) and rubber companies(Canada) to help people simply identify the tire (and sale more under the pretense that this is the only tire you should use in the snow). So unless you are traversing the artic I would think that an aggressive all terrain would suit you well in the snow BUT the snowflake stamped tire MAY do a tad bit better. Driving ability and skill is gonna help you more then the tire in most cases.
I live in Florida. Iv driven in the snow once, lol.... I figure any additional help is a bonus for me.

Reactions: Lil Bear

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
If you have some time and money to spare... Home
In the process of building 2 race cars on top of the two motorcycles i haven't ridden in years, while raising 2 girls under 2, and still trying to find time to travel and camp, lol...I'll add that to my list!

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cooper has 265/65R18 ST Maxx's. And plenty of other sizes of the Maxx if you want an extra inch of diameter.

Also consider the STT.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Cooper has 265/65R18 ST Maxx's. And plenty of other sizes of the Maxx if you want an extra inch of diameter.

Also consider the STT.
I like both of those tires, but i can't find decent prices on them. I'm already overbudget ordering new wheels for the lr4 to be able to use 18's as is, lol

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
They're premium tires, they won't be cheap anywhere.

But they are worth the extra cost. Zero flats, even with the extreme abuse that I've thrown at them. Not having to put a spare tire on ever? Priceless.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
They're premium tires, they won't be cheap anywhere.

But they are worth the extra cost. Zero flats, even with the extreme abuse that I've thrown at them. Not having to put a spare tire on ever? Priceless.
For my f150 and main rig, i agree which i why I spent a good amount on proper tires. This is going on my wife's LR4 an i have found that with the kids she isn't too pleased with me when i take her on anything more then a mild-medium trail, lol. I just like planning for the future and hopefully more family trips in the LR vs my truck

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Cooper Tires worked great on my PU I had and lasted a long time with only one leak (from a nail). I am using KO2's on my Jeep and they are doing very good with being air up and down all the time with off roading ....Just my two cents!!

Shortstack.rn

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Last Name
Laird
Member #

8 months later... I'm going to throw a little fuel on the fire of this thread and ask what tires you ended up putting on the LR. I'm researching tires over the next few weeks for my 4Runner and the Cooper Rugged Trek's are high on my list.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
8 months later... I'm going to throw a little fuel on the fire of this thread and ask what tires you ended up putting on the LR. I'm researching tires over the next few weeks for my 4Runner and the Cooper Rugged Trek's are high on my list.
I did end up buying the rugged trek's. So far no complaints I can think of. We have done several road trips in them and aside from a little more road noise they have good road manors. I haven't done any serious off roading with them yet, but have done a decent amount really soupy, muddy dirt roads while looking at properties that I am confident they will do really well off road in general. Did a fair amount of up and down steep unimproved trails in the rain that I am happy enough with my decision. Would likely buy these over the K02's on my truck if I were to do it again.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Out here in the West Toyo's are the most liked, but I have the KO2s and really like them so far, my buddy has the Disos, and he loves them and they are holding up very well. The only problem has been the Goodyears that one guy has, a lot of sidewall punctures, I don't know what that means but both of the rest don't seem to have the same problem...