Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

I know this will be sacrilege, but I'm struggling to figure out a good reason to take a hi-lift along with me on trips.

My current recovery gear set up is a front mounted winch and slimline bumper with recovery points, a hitch recovery shackle, my stock 4runner jack, hi-lift with wheel adapter, various tow/snatch straps and recovery boards.

I am currently putting my hi-lift, extra fuel and shovel on my roof rack, but the plan is to get a RTT which will take up all the roof space and load. On long trips, my interior is pretty much full, so I don't have a great spot for it inside, plus the rattling would drive me nuts.

I can get a hatch ladder and mounts for the fuel and shovel, but no where to put the hi-lift. Sliders are next on the purchase list, so I'll have side recovery points for the hi-lift. I assume I'll need the cup-shaped adapter for sliders? Not sure I have a good front recovery point with the slimline bumper, unless I can lift from the bull bar which is already pretty high.

So here is my dilemma, with accessories I'm betting the hi-lift is about 100 lbs, and once I loose my roof space, I have nowhere to put it. I could get some sort of rear bumper or hitch mounted tire carrier that I could mount the hi-lift to, but that would be $800-$1000 on the cheap side plus ANOTHER 100+lbs.

What am I going to use a hi-lift for that is worth $1000 and 200lbs + of payload? I won't use it for winching anymore (the primary reason I've been lugging it along to date), I can only lift from the back until I get sliders. I can use it to lift a wheel to put something under it, but not to change a tire. The only scenario I can think of that it would be the go-to tool would be needing to lift the vehicle when there isn't enough space to use the factory jack.

I'm new to this game, so I'm sure there are things I don't know that I don't know. Why should I keep lugging it around?

-Chris

Reactions: HUMΛN and Boort

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had one for over 20 years and never used it . Personally I think the highlift Jack is more of a hey look I’m cool off-roader thing . Unless you were out rock crawling is the only time in my lifetime of off-road travel I’ve ever actually needed one. Everyone’s results will vary though

Reactions: Brett L. and HUMΛN

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I’ve had one for over 20 years and never used it .
same here....

But the reason to leave it at home is for the safety. In BC no government vehicles carry a farmer jack anymore due to the high incident of injury and Workers Comp claims. I know the highlift fan boys will be all over this comment but the fact is, statistics show the highlift jack is a dangerous tool.

Mine stays here till I need to pull out a fence post.

IMG_0267.jpeg

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
high lift jack

if you have ever rubbed against a tree that has fallen and need something to pull you off of it or to pull the tree off. High lift.
Need to remove a wheel because you have sheered off the valve stem. High Lift Need to break the bead to change the valve stem. High Lift
Need to lift the body to put the rear coil spring back in. High Lift
Need to remove a tire from a wheel. High lift.
Need to chain something between a rock rail and rear bumper so your c clip axle stays in for the tow out. High Lift

There's more but let me just say when I was in a Jeep doing Jeep things its is a must to have. Overlanding? I don't know yet

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Mine has lived in the garage for about 15 years. It's useful for jacking up our deck when replacing posts.

That said, I can think of two times when one has been useful on the trail.
- An XTerra somehow managed to get high centered on a rock in between the framerails and right against a cross member. We jacked it up with a high lift and then knocked the jack over to move the truck off the rock.
- A spring fell out on a friends Trooper and we used a high lift to lift the body to put it back in. Proper length springs or spring retainers would have prevented this issue.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
About ten years ago we were headed west and I decided to not bring ours. My wife? Bring it or I’m not going— so up it went on the racks.. 40 miles or so west of Hays Kansas, we blew a bearing on our trailer axle. Without the hi-lift I could have never swapped axles. I would have had to call a tow service and paid a shop to do it. Later that week, we ripped a valve stem on the trail. No way the bottle jack would work as we were off camber in rocks. Without the hi-lift I’d have trashed the rim getting to a spot for enough room to get the bottle jack under the axle. I’ve also used it a few times to help others. It’s kinda like a fire extinguisher, a PLB, or a safety kit. I hope I never have to use any of them, but if needed, they are there. I’ll also note that we tour and camp alone. We are completely self reliant. I’m puzzled that you’re concerned with 200lbs of payload, yet youre willing to mount something on your racks that will kill your fuel mileage, cause you to be top heavy, and get you knocked around quite a bit while driving in high wind conditions. Is the high lift dangerous? Like anything else, it’s only as dangerous as the guy using it.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Like others I have carried mine around for decades and never needed it. That said, Im a firm believer in the idea that its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Especially when your in the middle of the backcountry and far away from external support.

sea_ledford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

I’m puzzled that you’re concerned with 200lbs of payload, yet youre willing to mount something on your racks that will kill your fuel mileage, cause you to be top heavy, and get you knocked around quite a bit while driving in high wind conditions. Is the high lift dangerous? Like anything else, it’s only as dangerous as the guy using it.
I'll use the tent every night, not so much a hi-jack. From the responses it looks like less than once per decade unless you are rock crawling. If I used it all the time, I'd figure out a way. I'm also looking for a low profile, light weight tent for the exact reasons you mention.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
-Bigfoot pee'd on your winch last night. Now your winch has failed. Hilift is a good backup winch.
-popping tire beads
-with the ''wheel grabbers'' you can level your truck at your camp site. Grab the lowest wheel.
-if you have an rtt, you can jack your rear hitch so that he truck doesn't bounce when you walk around on it.

Cant you fit it under your rear seat? Mine is wrapped up in a emergency furniture blanket and ratchet strapped under my rear seat.

If you don't travel alone, just make sure one truck has one. You don't all need one. But keep your winch kit still.

Last edited:

sea_ledford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

The tire maintenance aspect is the most compelling reason that applies to how I travel.

I've never had to break a bead before, but from what I have seen (from my super extensive internet offroading!) I'd need one of the bead breaker adapters that fits on the bottom of the high lift. I'd lay the tire on the ground, put the jack on top of it aligned correctly with the bead breaker, then jack up the vehicle until the bead pops. Is that correct? Why couldn't I do that with a bottle jack? I guess clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the truck could be an issue, but I don't think the high lift is that much lower than my bottle jack.

sea_ledford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

-Bigfoot pee'd on your winch last night. Now your winch has failed. Hilift is a good backup winch.
-popping tire beads
-with the ''wheel grabbers'' you can level your truck at your camp site. Grab the lowest wheel.
-if you have an rtt, you can jack your rear hitch so that he truck doesn't bounce when you walk around on it.

Cant you fit it under your rear seat? Mine is wrapped up in a emergency furniture blanket and ratchet strapped under my rear seat.

If you don't travel alone, just make sure one truck has one. You don't all need one. But keep your winch kit still.
Unfortunately, no room under the rear seat for anything. One of the more annoying aspects of a 4runner. Stabilizing the truck would be a great use too! hmmmm... I'll have to go see if my bottle jack will reach the hitch and see how much room is under it when collapsed.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Bottle jacks kinda slow and wobbles out.

A sledge and wedge are what the pro's use. But they weigh even more than the darn hilift.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have one, I don't always bring it. I think about each trip and then decide. Also, in a large enough group, there will always be one person with a high lift. I tend to ask everyone as a group and we decide who will bring theirs and who will leave theirs home but substitute something else.