First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hi All,

I am planning on doing a Continental Divide Trip next month. I'll be taking the 4x4 Sprinter and generally following the GPS Kevin route. I'm starting in Southern NM on June 27. I'll take about a week through NM. On July 5, I'm leaving the CDT route and meeting up with a group that is doing the Colorado BDR. The BDR is expected to take us through July 11. Then I'll rejoin the CDT route up through WY and MT, hopefully timed to meet the rest of my family at our daughter's in Missoula around July 27.

I'm planning on doing the NM portion and the WY & MT portion alone, but may have another vehicle join up for WY & MT. I'd love some suggestions for things to see along the route. Sidetrips are OK (and encouraged)!

Once out of Colorado, the route goes through Rawlins, Teton, Butte, Helena, and Whitefish.

Also, anybody who lives along the route and wants to get meet up, that'd be great! My timetable is very fluid, so I don't really know where I'll be when, but I should have a better idea as the trip progresses.

Thanks,
Matt

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Are you confident Kevin's track is all passable by truck? I can't speak on his specifically, but some I've seen had significant single track areas. This was in Colorado that I noticed it, however. You're doing BDR.

What sort of a group are you doing BDR with?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hi Neal,
I've talked to a couple people who have used the track. There's at least one single-track section in Idaho, and a part in MT that I will bypass. Didn't really focus on the CO portion because we won't be following it.

For CO, we will be 2 jeeps (one with a small trailer), my van, and I think 4 motos. At Telluride, the motos are planning on splitting off and doing some of the harder stuff, while we do Ophir, Red Mtn, etc.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Last year, 2 of the motos and one of Jeeps and I did the AZ BDR.

I am planning on doing the main route on both the CDT and the CO BDR portions. Especially when alone, I don't think I'll be tackling any of the "expert" sections.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'd like to find a way to run along with you in the Sprinter as I've had an interest in vans for a while. I fear I have too many trip commitments already, however.

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
Matt I’d like to join you on the CDT but I’ll be done with my Colorado section on 7-24 any way that we could meet up to do Wyoming & Montana sections?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hi Larry,
Sorry for the late response, I was out of town.
Unfortunately, I need to be done and in Missoula to meet up with the family about the time you'll be finishing up Colorado.
m

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi All,

I am planning on doing a Continental Divide Trip next month. I'll be taking the 4x4 Sprinter and generally following the GPS Kevin route. I'm starting in Southern NM on June 27. I'll take about a week through NM. On July 5, I'm leaving the CDT route and meeting up with a group that is doing the Colorado BDR. The BDR is expected to take us through July 11. Then I'll rejoin the CDT route up through WY and MT, hopefully timed to meet the rest of my family at our daughter's in Missoula around July 27.

I'm planning on doing the NM portion and the WY & MT portion alone, but may have another vehicle join up for WY & MT. I'd love some suggestions for things to see along the route. Sidetrips are OK (and encouraged)!

Once out of Colorado, the route goes through Rawlins, Teton, Butte, Helena, and Whitefish.

Also, anybody who lives along the route and wants to get meet up, that'd be great! My timetable is very fluid, so I don't really know where I'll be when, but I should have a better idea as the trip progresses.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt,
I can send you our GPX file for the CD, we have re done the entire route using JPS Kevin and One man trail as our base. The track takes you on more dirt than Kevin and one thing to remember is Kevins route stops at hotels at night.

Our group leaves the border either the 27th or 28th depending on when everyone gets there.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Thanks Kent,
I think you already sent me your GPX files and I loaded them into my GAIA. If I remember right, you're starting the end of July, right?
m

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hi All,

Thanks,
Matt
Sounds Awesome!
Have a GREAT - SAFE trip!

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Well I'm getting everything ready to head to the border on Saturday, with the "official" start on Sunday!

Already watching 2 wildfires that look like they will affect the route. The first is the Johnson fire near the Gila Cliff Dwellings in Southern NM, and the second is the Sylvan Lake Fire in central Colorado south of Gypsum. It's shaping up to be a bad fire season already.

There's a group of 7 or 8 vehicles on Expedition Portal that set off on the CDT this Monday, following a similar route to mine (minus my detour to the CO BDR). Maybe I'll cross paths with them somewhere along the way.

Looking forward to a great trip!

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Well I'm getting everything ready to head to the border on Saturday, with the "official" start on Sunday!

Already watching 2 wildfires that look like they will affect the route. The first is the Johnson fire near the Gila Cliff Dwellings in Southern NM, and the second is the Sylvan Lake Fire in central Colorado south of Gypsum. It's shaping up to be a bad fire season already.

There's a group of 7 or 8 vehicles on Expedition Portal that set off on the CDT this Monday, following a similar route to mine (minus my detour to the CO BDR). Maybe I'll cross paths with them somewhere along the way.

Looking forward to a great trip!
Sounds awesome. I hope the smoke doesn't impact you too much, at least early on. Total bummer there are so many fires already...

Reactions: velo47