Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I'd make sure the service records are up to date including the timing belt and water pump. Even if millage has just hit service interval depending on the year the time period for changing might be way past due.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Pretty capable platform thats a good size. Went with my buddy to purchase his about 3 years ago. The dude that sold it planned to build it up, and had another one he had already build in his garage. He took that one to Argentina and back. He loved the platform. We took my buddies to Moab last year and got more than a few looks from people wondering what the heck a Lexus was doing out there lol.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Here's one of several posts over at T4R on this, mechanically they are nearly the same, both built on the 120 platform.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/136408-what-check-before-i-buy-used-4th-gen.html

Specific things I'd check for are the suspension systems, namely XREAS for leaks and if possible the condition of upper and lower ball joints. It wouldn't stop me from buying one, but it would play into price negotiatons if it's obviously going to need some immediate maintenance. If you're planning on a lift then the condition of the factory XREAS shocks is less important cause you'd probably just be removing it anyways. I'm unsure if 470's came with KDSS, but if they did check those pistons for any leaks as well, that's an awesome system but can be pricy to service.

I believe there was a dash recall for some years, they had a tendency to crack. You may want to see if it was eligible and if it had the upgraded dash. It wouldn't hurt to drop it into low range to verify the case is shifting appropriately.

One of my close friends has a GX470, those things are tanks. Luxury tanks.

Reactions: MBroenkow

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I have a 2008 GX and I love it. Plenty of power and surprisingly great handling on road.

Some common things to look for:

- Timing belt needs changed around 100k. Check for a sticker in the engine bay. Water pump is usually changed along with the timing belt.
- Leaky radiator.
- Exhaust manifold cracks. It'll sound like an old farm truck when you put load on it at cold start. They're expensive to fix.
- Rear air suspension leaks. Check that the adjustable suspension works and stays at the height you set it. If the compressor doesn't turn off or the suspension lowers, there's a leak. If you plan on lifting it, this isn't a big deal. Most lifts are done by completely removing the air suspension and converting to coil springs.
- Transfer case lock actuator is frozen or leaking. GXs are full time 4wd with an electronically locking transfer case for traditional 4x4. Most of these things were driven by soccer moms, so the actuators were never used and might be frozen. Check it before you buy.
- The inner rear hatch handle snaps off really easily, like ridiculously easy. If it's there, don't use it!
- Rear driveshaft clunk when accelerating after stopping (feels like axel wrap). There's a TSB out for it.
- The paint is notoriously thin, so chips on the hood, especially around the grille, are common.
- Wheel finishing is just as bad. Expect it to be bubbled or resprayed.

Good things to know:

- 2003 was the only year with a transmission dipstick. All others are "sealed."
- 2005-2009 were Dual VVTI motors. I think it's like an extra 30hp.
- All "Sport" models were equipped with KDSS suspension and it was also available as a stand alone option. Sport models are easily identified by their black interior with unique black wood trim. KDSS basically beefed up hydraulically controlled sway bars. Lifting with KDSS is more difficult and the system cannot be removed (as far as I know). Also, some slider and skid plate options don't fit with KDSS.
- 2008/2009 models had chrome door handles, chrome roof rack, and white turn signals in the rear lights (03-07 were amber turn signals and color matched handles/roof rack).
- Most people prefer the non-navigation models because the nav systems control the HVAC system, so you can't upgrade the audio system in a nav equipped model (unless you overlay a completely new external system and that's a giant PIA). In addition, the nav models have Mark Levinson speakers, which are 8ohms (most auto speakers are 4 or 2ohms), so there aren't many aftermarket speaker options when the ML speakers blow.
- 2007+ have an updated nav, so if you get nav, those are the better years. I have navigation in my '08 and it's fine, but I'm ok with the stock speakers.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I've had two front wheel bearings go bad, but I don't think that's a common problem. You can sign up on Lexus Drivers . com, put in a VIN, and it'll show you any service done at a dealer.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I really can't say much about the GX platform as it differs quite a bit from the 120 series I have. But overall I love my rig =)
Didn't ASPW have a GX on a trip earlyer this year? Video's should be on YouTube. I think he mentioned some things he liked and didn't like on it. There also is a 120 modified video on Ronny Dahl his channel.

As already mentioned in the post before me. One thing I do remember is to check the air suspension (I don't have that =), if the system is failing you are better off to replace it with an after market system or just throw out the air suspension as a whole from what I did read.

Basic stuff like a good service history and general maintanence done speaks for itself I guess.

Reactions: Arailt

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Good call, Ron. ASPW drove the Metal Tech GX around the Pacific NW during his recent Overlanding in the USA series.

This is episode 5, when he does a brief walk-through of the GX.

Here's Ronny Dahl's Modified episode on the Prado Grande (very close to the US GX).

Reactions: Bradb55 and Sparky

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

You didn't mention the year of the vehicle so it is hard to say if it is that good of a deal. I was looking at a 2005 with 120K on it and good records for $12,000 but without putting the two rigs side by side it is hard to say. I finally decided to replace my Ramcharger and the GX470 was my second choice when I was looking for a new rig. My first choice was a Tundra because I wanted an open bed so I could use it for hauling larger items instead of using a trailer all the time.
Brugh makes so good points and all I can add is if it doesn't have the maintenance records consider the maintenance not done and plan to get it done. From everything I have seen in researching the GX470, mechanically it is the same platform as the Four Runner. The body obviously is different with a higher roof for more head room and a barn door at the back. There is also the fact that it is very plush on the inside. After driving the GX470 it almost made it to the top of my list.
What every decide, good luck with it.

Reactions: Arailt

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

You didn't mention the year of the vehicle so it is hard to say if it is that good of a deal. I was looking at a 2005 with 120K on it and good records for $12,000 but without putting the two rigs side by side it is hard to say. I finally decided to replace my Ramcharger and the GX470 was my second choice when I was looking for a new rig. My first choice was a Tundra because I wanted an open bed so I could use it for hauling larger items instead of using a trailer all the time.
Brugh makes so good points and all I can add is if it doesn't have the maintenance records consider the maintenance not done and plan to get it done. From everything I have seen in researching the GX470, mechanically it is the same platform as the Four Runner. The body obviously is different with a higher roof for more head room and a barn door at the back. There is also the fact that it is very plush on the inside. After driving the GX470 it almost made it to the top of my list.
What every decide, good luck with it.
The platform is a landcruiser 120 not a forerunner, building one now for light duty, have a jeep jk for crazy. GX470 is for traveling long distance off road, comfortably and safely. Gx470 is very capable, have a 2 1/2 lift old man emu, put 265:75:17 mt's trying to stay as stock as possible, rtt and awning, will be fabbing sliders and skid plates next week. Bought 4 max tracks, really don't want the weight of bumpers and winch, might have to.
I am going to try to stay away from those situations, normally a go around exists.

Basically a well mannered rig that is very capable. Looking for a rig that will do trails that are 6 out of 10. Jeep does 10 very well. My motorcycles will do everything else.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

True, but the 4th generation 4Runner is built on the same platform so the mechanicals are the same (minus the 4Runner's 4.0 V6). The 4Runner Limited (V8) is identical.
Nice, so could I use 4th gen armour and parts?. I know some do I just installed a front dif brace from a newer 4runner, stronger design.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

The suspension and driveline parts are interchangeable. The FJ Cruiser shares a lot of suspension parts as well. Most of the 4th gen 4Runner skids and some of the sliders will work, depending on the fab shop. Unfortunately, none of the 4Runner front or rear plate bumpers (that I know of) will work because the body panels are completely different.

The front diff supports were updated in 2006 to a stronger design.

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

The suspension and driveline parts are interchangeable. The FJ Cruiser shares a lot of suspension parts as well. Most of the 4th gen 4Runner skids and some of the sliders will work, depending on the fab shop. Unfortunately, none of the 4Runner front or rear plate bumpers (that I know of) will work because the body panels are completely different.

The front diff supports were updated in 2006 to a stronger design.
Thanks, that will save a fortune

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Yeah, Lexus parts are outrageous. ih8mud has a pretty active 120 series forum where you can find exactly what parts will work. Lots of nice builds on there to get ideas, from mild to wild.