Resolved Concern over log-in blocking. . .

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

After being online in OB fora last night, then coming back this morning, I was met with the message of something like "log-in temporarily blocked because of several unsuccessful log-in attempts" when I had not tried several times to log in. No message about "if this was not you, please let us know" or "from IP xxxx" or any other kind of explanation or how long it might be before my acct would be unblocked. It was more than a little disconcerting.

Though I appreciate the block, IF there actually were unsuccessful attempts to log in with a bad password, my concern is who that may have been, and from where, and if it is recorded as to time, locale, and IP.

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you!

I will check on the messaging and also what info I can get on the attempts. One of the reasons our security is very tight is because we are constantly under attack. I know this sounds disconcerting, but the fact is every website of any scale is under attack. The good thing is that our prevention measures are working.

I'll see what I can do to make the messaging more clear. Please let me know if this happens again?

Thank you,

M

Reactions: Road

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Message updated!

Your account has temporarily been locked due to failed login attempts. This can happen for a number of reasons, including passing bots that try to compromise members accounts. We know this sounds disconcerting, but all sites of significant size suffer from similar attempts. The good news is that our security is working as it should.

Your account will be unlocked within 15 minutes. Please contact info@overlandbound if you have any further trouble or questions regarding this message. Thank you!

M

Thank you!

I will check on the messaging and also what info I can get on the attempts. One of the reasons our security is very tight is because we are constantly under attack. I know this sounds disconcerting, but the fact is every website of any scale is under attack. The good thing is that our prevention measures are working.

I'll see what I can do to make the messaging more clear. Please let me know if this happens again?

Thank you,

M

Reactions: Road