Communications

• HTML tutorial

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Just wanted to put this out there, not to debate the pros/cons of being disconnected from the world, but accidents do happen. In the spirit of being prepared, what communications methods do you use when overlanding/camping?

I use the following:

Icom ID-5100a dual band ham radio (call sign W4NMS)
A small CB radio that connects to my 12v cigarette socket.
A Wifi hotspot with an 8db gain antenna for 3g/LTE signals when my phone just will not get a solid signal.

I did use a spot for a while but discontinued the service.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

BigAZAdventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

Thank you for starting this thread! I think that it would be important to have a list of community communications frequencies to use for general communication while overlanding. I don't have my HAM yet, but as a pilot I am very proficient at radio communications and rely on them not only to communicate with ATC and other plans but to monitor conditions as I fly.

Could we come up with a small comms chart to list the different types of communications (HAM, MURS, CB, FRS) that are available to the public and maybe a primary, secondary and tertiary fx for each?

This could be used not only to say hi while passing another member on the road but to monitor while traveling incase someone is reaching out for help.

Reactions: Dave Decker

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There was a thread that dealt with common frequencies as well, but I can't seem to remember which one. If I get a bit of time today, I'll look for it if @Steve doesn't remember it.