Jimmypaget

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Paget
So I’ve got the uniden bear cat 980 but I rarely find myself using it these days, either because others don’t have cb or it just doesn’t pick up very well. I’m really on the fence about a rugged setup for the jku. What are you all running for comms these days?

Reactions: Sparksalot

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the Uniden 980SSB, then GMRS MTX115, then a couple of months ago a Kenwood TM-V71A for Ham comms. Guess comms comes down to what you group rolls with.

Reactions: Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m rolling a Cobra 15, Kenwood TK-890 for GMRS and a pair of Kenwood TK-790s for VHF and APRS.

CB never gets used, the TK-890 is set to receive only and I am constantly on 2m

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a CB that I sometimes throw in, just in case. It's been forever since I've even heard truckers on it. I have ham and sometimes GMRS too.

Reactions: RoarinRow

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
CB will picking up popularity soon... the DX propagation is opening back up... I just talked to a station in Phoenix Arizona from La Grande Oregon on 28.28 MHz @ 10 watts.

Reactions: Downs and RoarinRow

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
So I’ve got the uniden bear cat 980 but I rarely find myself using it these days, either because others don’t have cb or it just doesn’t pick up very well. I’m really on the fence about a rugged setup for the jku. What are you all running for comms these days?
I would look into standard ham. From what I know of Rugged Radios they broadcast on their own section of the VHF and UHF bands and between that and a licensing agreement with the FCC you don't need a license to operate them. Basically with a Rugged, you can only communicate with other Ruggeds.

Reactions: M Rose

Jimmypaget

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Paget
I would look into standard ham. From what I know of Rugged Radios they broadcast on their own section of the VHF and UHF bands and between that and a licensing agreement with the FCC you don't need a license to operate them. Basically with a Rugged, you can only communicate with other Ruggeds.
And basically I’ve also heard they’re just Chinese radios rebranded with their logo. So I’m now leaning towards a pci unit instead of rugged

Reactions: Dilldog

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That’s my understanding as well... I know a few people who have converted them to 10m but then you need your ham ticket, so best to just get your ham.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
And basically I’ve also heard they’re just Chinese radios rebranded with their logo. So I’m now leaning towards a pci unit instead of rugged
Yes, they are Boafeng.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I would avoid Rugged and probably wouldn't go with PCI. They are used more in the desert/dune race areas and are programmed with business band frequencies that require a license.
True Rugged is licensed and they will tell you that you are good under their license but I bet they won't tell you that most of the frequencies they are licensed for are for certain desert race areas only. Rugged does offer GMRS radios as well but like their other radios they are $$$$ for what they are.
Rugged has also recently received another notice from the FCC.

For overland/back country adventures CB, GMRS, and ham are more commonly used.
CB is still popular among groups/clubs but it is the least performing of the options.
GMRS is increasing in popularity, Jeep Jamboree has mandated GMRS effective 2021.
CB and GMRS are fine for group/convoy comms.
Ham is far more capable, while it works just as well for group/convoy comms it's great for reaching out, there are far more frequencies to use, can be used for more than just voice...all sorts of things.

It really comes down to if you are running with a group...what do they run and are they willing to updating to something better?

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

There was no agreement. Rugged Radios finally got cited by the FCC. Looks like a nice fine is likely in store for them as well. It was only a matter of time.

FCC takes action against marketing of unauthorized transceivers
FCC Notice of Citation Against Rugged Radios

Standard VHF/UHF ham frequencies are becoming pretty normal for people who enjoy overlanding. GMRS seems to be gaining steam but CB is holding out in large parts of the country. Like @RoarinRow said, it mostly depends on what group of people you are trying to communicate with. Use whatever comms they use. For my own part, I have a good assortment so I can talk to about anyone. FRS/GMRS, Ham, CB, Cellular... I keep all of it handy just in case.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Rugged radios is nothing but a scam. Nearly everything they sell is rebranded Chinese brands at 4-10x cost. Steer well clear IMO. They prey on their customers ignorance of radios in general and deserve everything the FCC throws at them.

GMRS is probably one of the best bets for most folks who have no interest in radio but still want more capability and clearer comms than CB. GMRS is the only thing I've had luck with with my local Jeep group in getting them to switch to.

There was no agreement. Rugged Radios finally got cited by the FCC. Looks like a nice fine is likely in store for them as well. It was only a matter of time.

FCC takes action against marketing of unauthorized transceivers
FCC Notice of Citation Against Rugged Radios

Standard VHF/UHF ham frequencies are becoming pretty normal for people who enjoy overlanding. GMRS seems to be gaining steam but CB is holding out in large parts of the country. Like @RoarinRow said, it mostly depends on what group of people you are trying to communicate with. Use whatever comms they use. For my own part, I have a good assortment so I can talk to about anyone. FRS/GMRS, Ham, CB, Cellular... I keep all of it handy just in case.
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company.