Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Since I spend most of my time at work on I81 between Knoxville, TN and Roanoke, VA I've seen dozens of rigs headed up the road to Expo East yesterday and today. In my semi I usually keep the CB on 19, but I've tried to catch a handful of rigs on 19 or 16 with no luck.

That being said, for those of you with vehicle comms, do you keep them up on the road? If so, what channels are you monitoring?

I guess the CB stuff is starting to phase out with GMRS and HAM toys, but I thought for sure I'd have gotten one of them traveling around here with comms on.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I did, tried 19 and 16.

CB is economical for my usage. Owned one back in the 70s and 80s on my Ford 150 4x4. Thinking about purchasing a handheld CB. I know they’re not as powerful but I’m only planning to use it for short range.
I have a Baofeng UV-5R and handheld CB, but I'm not licensed for the Baofeng. I plan on installing a CB in my rig but haven't figured out which one I want yet. I'll make the Baofeng work in the rig also, but also have thought about GMRS options since everybody seems to prefer a different flavor. I can tell you that I haven't been super impressed with my handheld CB, but it is an old one I picked up for dirt cheap.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
CB is economical for my usage. Owned one back in the 70s and 80s on my Ford 150 4x4. Thinking about purchasing a handheld CB. I know they’re not as powerful but I’m only planning to use it for short range.

BTW: which CB manufacturer is your first preference? I’ve been out the CB community for a long time.
Doesn’t matter the brand any more, no one is really using them. I personally have 3 Cobras of different models and a Galaxy. I like my Galaxy the best, but all any of them do is emit static… I make a lot more contacts on FMRS (not GMRS) than I do in CB. But even GMRS/FMRS doesn’t come close to the amount of contacts I make on 2m simplex.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

CB is economical for my usage. Owned one back in the 70s and 80s on my Ford 150 4x4. Thinking about purchasing a handheld CB. I know they’re not as powerful...
Here's my setup in a nutshell. Missing is a pic of my Cobra FRS/GMRS handhelds with weather. And of course, I actually had just about every walkie talkie featured in Stranger Things. Fun days 20190824_094806.jpg

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
I’d encourage you to get your ham license, every the entry technician license will give you a wide area of Comm’s to use. APRS messagin, send a short text to a cell phone, weather, National calling, combined with a good GRMS radio, you are way ahead in comm’s. Best of luck..

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I've had CB for a few years and i wish i hadnt bothered. Here in the UK and especially in the South West i rarely speak to anyone. Ive seen a fair amount of aeriels fitting to vehicles but im convinced theyre decorational not operational.

Im thinking about moving to another means but will i be disappointed again?

Who knows

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I have 2 meter Ham and GMRS in my truck. Unless I’m in a group traveling I stay with the simplex calling frequencies for each. Once I’m in a group we change to another frequency. Mostly from then on it’s mostly GMRS because people don’t want to study for the test. Plus ham radios can get expensive.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Learn something new every day...

But, but isnt that just merging an FRS/GMRS radio and an AM CB radio into the same box with a mode switch?
I don’t want to try and give an electronics class but AM is Amplitude Modulation, FM is Frequency Modulation. You can look up the difference. Also CB is around 27 MHZ, FRS/GMRS is around 467 MHZ. I believe that the Australian CB frequency is close to the FRS/GMRS frequencies.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I used to have a CB in my Jeep. The only time I heard anything was when I drove by a truck stop that had an automated message and sometimes a crazy person with a high powered station that took over what ever channel he was on.

I now have a ham radio in my truck. I have two states' worth of repeaters programmed into different banks plus the different calling frequencies 2m, 70cm, and off road. I also have it set up for APRS. Where I am the bands are pretty active.

Eventually, I think I'll get a GMRS set up as well.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Learn something new every day...

But, but isnt that just merging an FRS/GMRS radio and an AM CB radio into the same box with a mode switch?
If you would have read the actual FCC document I posted it’s very clear that FM is being added to the 40 channel Citizen Band. GMRS/FMRS is a completely different set of rules and regulations. By Device Description, a CB radio and a GMRS radio can’t live inside the same box.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m still learning. Keep pointing me in the right direction.

Update: I’m looking for something inexpensive so I can talk to the group around the bend, over the hill, and through the trees. What would you recommend?
What is the rest of the group running? If everyone is using 70cm, then you need to use 70cm, if everyone is on 2m then you need 2m. I’m going to send you a DM

edit: I realize you don’t have a license of any kind… this really limits you to the dying CB radio. For what you’re wanting to do, getting your Tech license would be your best option and then get a Yasue FT-2980 2m radio. I highly recommend the FT-2980 to those that aren’t wanting anything more than to be able to reach out and touch some radio waves. 85 watts on high power and with the correct antenna I have made contacts at 250 miles with a mountain in between without the help of a repeater.

If GMRS is of interest it’s the easier liven to obtain, just pay the FCC the fees and be done with it. Radios are a lot simpler to use, but the range is limited to about 50 miles with perfect conditions.

Last edited: