Comfortable cot?

• HTML tutorial

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
hey guys, trying to decide which cot to get.
I’m used to the Red Cross cots which were like the mil cots but with better material...

But since I’m starting from scratch again... I need something robust yet comfy, that I can sleep in my bag on.

It’s either going to just be under the stars or I’ll put it in my tent should I decide to use that.

No more sleeping on the ground for me. I’m too broken, too much metal in my body.

I’m stupid with my stuff, so looking for something durable.

Durable and comfy. Everything else is secondary...

I’m currently looking at the Teton sports outfitter xxl. It’s big, I get it. It has the optional 2.5 inch pad for comfort and warmth, as well as the storage bag thing.

I’m hoping someone can chime In if they have this and if they like it...

Last edited:

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’m a fan of the military cots but it could be I’ve spent enough time in them they have grown on me. Slumberjack xl cots are pretty nice two.

If I want extra comfort I jus put my inflatable pad on my .mil cot.

WutHoLeChit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mustang OK
Member #

I adore the military issue cots, mostly because I spend a good part of my marine corps career sleeping on them, but honestly, while durable, they aren't very comfortable. and even myself, as a 5'9" broad shouldered dude, have issues with the side rails and foot rail becoming uncomfortable through the night. hitting your ankles on that bar isn't fun either.

BUT, me and a few guys stole some cots from some Gentlemen in the Army who left their stuff out... got to sleep on these for a week or two until they found out we had them and we had to get rid of them. Beyond comfy, wide, easy to set up, I think you can get long versions for tall people, an kid versions for the kids. Pricey, and you can only buy them as bunk beds, but you can turn that bunk bed into two beds easy. They're sturdy enough that if my guest bedroom is occupied and I need more space to sleep guests (or drunk friends) I would have no problem with putting one of these out.

Disc-O-Bed Large with Organizers
by Disc-O-Bed
Link: http://a.co/1q7OyEB

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Once we got up off the ground we tried the Gander mountain cheapo $50 cots. Now my grandsons have those. Then we went super expensive and purchased the Roll-a-Cot. There were a PITA to set up, especially in cold weather and all that black crud rubbing off of the aluminum frame. Now our daughter and SIL have them. We went in between and have been sleeping on the Byer of Maine Cots. I like em, they are a lot warmer than the Roll a Cots, the fabric has not stretched out and they are a breeze to set up, just unfold them right out of the carry case. The only downside is their weight, but that is only about 10 lbs more than what we had. I don't think we will be shopping for any more cots any time soon..

263711_11_41.jpg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My vote goes for Slumberjack XL, or Cabela’s Alaskan XL cots. For big guys and no support bar underneath to mess with your sleeping! Benz.

raycie

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kapolei, HI
Member #

Since moving from a truck to a 4Runner, space is at a minimum. Wife and I sleep on Helinox cots. They even have an XL that is wider and can hold more weight... A self-inflating mat on top of that.. wow.. best camping sleep I've had..

Ta2Doc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, KY, USA
First Name
Brady
Last Name
Robinette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RRX
+1 for Helinox. I bought mine before I had the RTT and I was sleeping under a truck bed canopy. Bit spendy, but I've had nothing but good experiences with every piece of Helinox equipment I own (couple of chairs, table, cot).

Since moving from a truck to a 4Runner, space is at a minimum. Wife and I sleep on Helinox cots. They even have an XL that is wider and can hold more weight... A self-inflating mat on top of that.. wow.. best camping sleep I've had..

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

This for me. I have a Helinox Cot Max Convertible with the extended legs. I love it. It is spendy as stated but quality. I like the extended legs cuz I can sit upright in my Gazelle T4 tent and get dressed like a normal human being.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Once we got up off the ground we tried the Gander mountain cheapo $50 cots. Now my grandsons have those. Then we went super expensive and purchased the Roll-a-Cot. There were a PITA to set up, especially in cold weather and all that black crud rubbing off of the aluminum frame. Now our daughter and SIL have them. We went in between and have been sleeping on the Byer of Maine Cots. I like em, they are a lot warmer than the Roll a Cots, the fabric has not stretched out and they are a breeze to set up, just unfold them right out of the carry case. The only downside is their weight, but that is only about 10 lbs more than what we had. I don't think we will be shopping for any more cots any time soon..

View attachment 59908
I second the Byer of Maine cots. I grabbed one off Amazon a couple years ago. It's wide and long enough to make it comfy.