Columbia Bugaboot Titanium XTM Review

• Thread starter expeditionnorth
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
E

expeditionnorth

Columbia Bugaboot Titanium XTM Review

I wrote this a while back for another forum, but wanted to share it here

They seem very impressive and more than reasonable for the price. I think Santa needs to get me a pair

Here are some specs provided:

Omni-Tech® - Waterproof Breathable
Maximum waterproof-breathable protection keeps outside elements from getting in, while allowing moisture to move away from the skin.
UPPER: Waterproof Nubuck and Split suede leather. Omni-Tech® waterproof /breathable membrane providing a comfortable and dry environment. Internal lining and foot bed cover with AgION® anti-microbial treatment.
HARDWARE: Rustproof metal alloy ghillies and speed hooks holds the foot in place. Gaiter hook.
INSULATION: 600 gram Thinsulate™ with additional underfoot insulation. Rated -65F/ -54C.
FOOTBED: Removable, anatomically contoured EVA foot bed with brushed nylon cover for cushioning and comfort.
INSOLE: Additional insulation underfoot for more warmth and to prevent heat loss.
MIDSOLE: Techlite molded material provides lightweight cushioning and support.
SHELL: Injection molded waterproof thermal rubber provides lightweight durable protection.
OUTSOLE: Non-marking dual-density Omni-Grip® rubber compound for optimal traction in winter condition

http://www.columbia.com/mens-winter-boots-shoes/men-footwear-coldweather,default,sc.html?sz=1&start=1

Or a video that I found on them:

http://www.zappos.com/videopop.html?bid=7427309

Well I finally got to open these up for one of my x-mas gifts. I was pleasantly surprised how tight they fight. Never owned any Columbia footwear prior I should have done a little research. I ordered one size larger as I seen in many reviews. They suggested they run small and boy do they. They fit very snug until you have worn them for awhile to break them in so to speak. I sat here today watching TV with 1 pair of regular socks and a second pair of wool ones over those to break these in. Now they feel normal like I prefer a boot to feel, a little wiggle room. Very stiff in the ankle area sort of like a snow board boot. I opted for the Expresso & Gold Rush color version as opposed to black/grey which seemed bland.

The interior of the boot is nicely done with ample insulation and padding in my opinion.

The front toe area has a D ring to attach snow gaiters if one chooses. I think this is a waste since the gusset runs almost to the top of the boot anyhow for normal snow use.

The rear also has a nice ribbed area so one may attach snow cleats or at least give it something to grasp to, another nice design I feel.

The boot is sufficiently tall enough to cover most outdoors tasks except maybe deep swamp or river forging. The omnitech material is supposed to work like gortex in letting the material breath and maintain waterproofing.

I was surprised to see that the tread was actually deeper than it appears on the website. The tread is also supposed to be slip resistant. I have yet to see if it actually works.

Did I forget to mention how incredibly light these are?
I used them out side yesterday in the snow and ice and it feels like I am walking on a layer of cushion. Up here in backwoods VT I could not find a pair locally. So I ordered them directly through Columbia and when I did they upgraded the normal 3-4 day shipping to express 2 day shipping for the same $6.
I still recommend if you have never worn their products to go one size larger.
Today it was -3 and all I wore was regular socks in these for maybe 30 minutes sitting outdoors in a folding camp chair taking pics of our stove review on other gear. My feet never once got cold or wet. I was cold in other areas though.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I had a pair of their boots - The Ice Dragon - which were very similar to what you have here.
They lasted for 10 years and only finally gave up the ghost after I got diesel on them and didn't wash them off - it ate through the threading the bonded the rubber lower and upper.
Nice write up - concise and convincing!

E

expeditionnorth

I had a pair of their boots - The Ice Dragon - which were very similar to what you have here.
They lasted for 10 years and only finally gave up the ghost after I got diesel on them and didn't wash them off - it ate through the threading the bonded the rubber lower and upper.
Nice write up - concise and convincing!
Thanks
I also got my 2 boys the same boot, different color options of course
I had to google that model of boot, seems thats a lower cut boot but almost the same features
do you still have them & how are they holding up

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Thanks
I also got my 2 boys the same boot, different color options of course
I had to google that model of boot, seems thats a lower cut boot but almost the same features
do you still have them & how are they holding up
The Ice Dragon's were a 6" boot, and had a taller - older brother - but I can't remember it's name.
We sold tons of them at the camping store I worked in at the time.

They rotted out after 10 years.
I have these now: http://www.columbia.com/mens-bugaboot-plus-iii-omni-heat-camo-boot-1626271.html?cgid=footwear-men-boots&dwvar_1626271_variationColor=941#start=10

Reactions: expeditionnorth
E

expeditionnorth

Reactions: RaggedViking
E

expeditionnorth

Very nice review. Are these boots better for just cold weather use, or are they something that could be worn year round?
personally I feel they are too warm for year round use, then again I'm a grizzly bear when it comes to cold

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

personally I feel they are too warm for year round use, then again I'm a grizzly bear when it comes to cold
Thanks for the reply.. I've been looking for boots I can use year round and have yet to find that perfect pair. That being said, I'm the exact opposite of you during cold months so maybe they will work?

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Because I usually find myself starting at a lower and warmer elevation and ending up in some sort of frozen tundra by the end of the day, I don't mind wearing them in both. I wouldn't recommend them in the summer - but spring and fall they won't be too too hot.