• HTML tutorial

AJ Aerni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Loveland, Ohio
Member #

<b>Overlanding Trip June 23 – July 5</b>

If you're looking for a big trip to join: here's one I've got planned for mid 2017 and others are welcome to join. So far, ~10 vehicles going.

<b>Gear recommended:</b> CB in vehicle, first aid kit, camping equipment, cold & warm clothes since we'll be spending time between 10,000 and 13,100 ft. elevation (potential snow caps even in June/July).

<b>Day 1 - Fri 6/23</b> - Leave Cincinnati early morning heading to Hays, KS

Overnight at: Marriott Fairfield Inn

377 Mopar Dr.

Hays, KS 67601

<b>Day 2 - Sat 6/24</b> - Leave Hays, KS heading to Silverton, CO to meet with friends and members from San Diego Jeep Club and San Diego Jeeps and Friends.

Overnight at: Silver Summit RV Park and Jeep Rentals

640 Mineral Street, Silverton CO 81433

Call: 970-387-0240 or Toll-free: 800-352-1637

Email: SilverSummitRV@gmail.com

<b>Day 3 - Sun 6/25</b> - Begin Alpine Loop Scenic Byway Day 1. Will pass through 7 ghost towns, many abandoned mining operations, and multiple high-altitude mountain top crossings. Cinnamon Pass (12,620’) and Engineer Pass (12,800’). Jeepers, Engineer Pass is a “Badge of Honor” trail, so be sure to download the app.

Overnight on the trail in California Gulch

<b>Day 4 - Mon 6/26</b> - Alpine Loop Scenic Byway Day 2. Hurricane Pass (12,407’), Red Mountain Pass (11,017’), Black Bear Pass (12,840’), Black Bear Pass switchbacks down into Telluride, and finally Imogene Pass (13,114’) on the way to Ouray. Jeepers, Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass are “Badge of Honor” trails, so be sure to download the app.

Overnight at: hotel/motel/campsite near Ouray, CO

exact location not chosen yet

<b>Day 5 - Tues 6/27</b> - Leave Ouray, CO heading down to Ophir Pass (11,798’), southwest through Cortez, and across Southern Utah through Bluff and drive the Monument Valley loop. Jeepers, Ophir Pass is a “Badge of Honor” trail, so be sure to download the app.

Overnight at: The View Campground

Indian Rte 42

Oljato-Monument Valley, AZ 84536

Call: (435) 727-5555

http://monumentvalleyview.com/campground/

<b>Day 6 - Wed 6/28</b> - Long drive day. Continue drive towards Independence, CA. Drive across Hoover Dam towards Vegas, then through Vegas and on to Independence, CA

Overnight at: Mt. Williamson Motel

515 S Edwards St

Independence, CA 93526

<b>Day 7 - Thurs 6/29</b> - Begin Sierras Day 1

Overnight on the trail - Papoose flat?

<b>Day 8 - Fri 6/30</b> - Sierras Day 2

Overnight on the trail - Coyote flat?

<b>Day 9 - Sat 7/1</b> - Sierras Day 3

Overnight on the trail - TBD

<b>Day 10 - Sun 7/2</b> - Sierras Day 4

Overnight on the trail - TBD

<b>Day 11 - Mon 7/3</b> - Begin drive home

Overnight at: Residence Inn Grand Junction

767 Horizon Drive

Grand Junction, CO 81506

<b>Day 12 - Tues 7/4</b> - Continue drive home

Overnight at: Courtyard Junction City

310 Hammons Drive

Junction City, KS 66441

<b>Day 13 - Wed 7/5</b> - Finish drive home (end in Cincinnati)

<b>Day 14 - Thurs 7/6</b> - Back to reality (work)

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Hi AJ,

I am not sure if I can make the whole trip, would it be okay if I traveled with you from Silverton, CO to Monument Valley, AZ? I have already planned to go to Overland West at the beginning of May, and I am not sure if I will have enough PTO to get away from work for the full trip, but I will try.

Also, what are the requirements for the vehicle, will a stock Rubicon work or does it need to be lifted with bigger tires for some portion of the trails you are attempting?

AJ Aerni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Loveland, Ohio
Member #

JCarter, you're more than welcome to join us for as much or as little of the journey as you'd like! A stock Rubicon should be fine. The only thing I would suggest, as with all stock height jk/jku's is a set of skid plates just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: w_m_photo

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Hey, my buddy Nathan and I were planning a trip out there this summer... He can't go now.
So, time frame permitting. I'm thinking of joining your group.
Are there going to be any kids in your group?

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

It sounds like we are going to be stopping to let the kids out and explore a whole lot more than you are planning.
So, I think we are going to pass on joining up with you. We might see you on parts. We'll be in the big blue jeep...

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I'm still planning on going out that way. I've got a 10 and 7 year old that will be with me.
I just know from past trips, they will need to get out and explore... A lot. Last summer we did a 8,000+ mile long trip with them. They were great but we also let them decide when they saw something they wanted to go do or explore... For the most part. We did veto a couple of things...

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Following this thread. This will an amazing journey! You will be passing through my favorite areas. Safe travels!