Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

What's up community. My name is Nikko and I drive a black 2017 JKU. I hear CO has some pretty cool 4x4 trails to venture through and was looking to get some expert suggestions on where these locations are. I will be moving up to Westminster CO next month from central FL and would greatly appreciate any tips on where to 4x4 and camp. Keep in mind I am also a photographer and would defiantly appreciate the excellent nature spots or caves to shoot.

Feel free to post exact coordinates or GPX files. Hope to see you on the trails in Colorado! So much to explore.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 11.00.46 PM.png

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Nickzero
What's up community. My name is Nikko and I drive a black 2017 JKU. I hear CO has some pretty cool 4x4 trails to venture through and was looking to get some expert suggestions on where these locations are. I will be moving up to Westminster CO next month from central FL and would greatly appreciate any tips on where to 4x4 and camp. Keep in mind I am also a photographer and would defiantly appreciate the excellent nature spots or caves to shoot.Feel free to post exact coordinates or GPX files. Hope to see you on the trails in Colorado! So much to explore.
There are a number of members here who have posted Trail guides for Co and the surrounding areas. Look under the Downloadable section ( https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-routes-downloadable.29/ ) for posts tagged Rocky Mountain.

For a quick, high quality solution check out FunTreks ( https://funtreks.com/product/colorado-combo-gps/ ) they have some of the best trail guides for the area and are now offering downloadable GPX data for many of the trails in the books. They have a really nice online filtering tool ( https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/ ) to let you find the trails that you are interested in running by Map, Difficulty, and Type of rig.

As for Photography, that will depend on what you like to shoot. See ( https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/best-co-area-trails-for-photography.15555/#post-228599 ) for some ideas of areas to target based on subject matter.

Give me a shout when you get to Westminster and get settled. I'd be glad to get to together and head up for a photo quick trip.

Boort

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
And books have been printed with ratings and directions and points of interest.

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

The Funtreks books.

There's a North Colorado edition as well.
Ohhh! I have heard of those books before maybe I saw them in REI... Great suggestion thank you! I will be picking up a copy soon to scope out some great trails. +1

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I'm over in Western Colorado if you ever make it over that direction. I'm on the trail nearly every weekend somewhere.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Any suggestions on the books? I will be moving to CO next month.
Nick

I recommend the Funtracks trail guides (Linked in post above, I linked to the publisher because versions on Amazon were back level when I got mine). These 2 books cover most of Colorado with detailed descriptions of the trails. I forgot to mention that you can Download GPX routes from the search map I mentioned. Their off Highway trial maps are also great backups for GPS.

When you get to Westminster visit the Library they the 2010 version available for check out https://westm.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/default/search/results/?rt=&ln=en_US&q=Funtreks+&rw=0

Boort

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I'm over in Western Colorado if you ever make it over that direction. I'm on the trail nearly every weekend somewhere.
Awesome man. I'll take you up on that once I get out there. What kinds of trails do you typically ride? Flat gravel or more diverse terrain...

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Awesome man. I'll take you up on that once I get out there. What kinds of trails do you typically ride? Flat gravel or more diverse terrain...
We wheel everything from back country trails and roads to rock crawling in Moab.

Follow us on IG/facebook for pictures of our travels around the Western USA.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Good morning all, We live in central Texas but own a house in Pagosa Springs and will be moving there in a few years. I was told by a local that he had heard of a trail that runs from Pagosa all the way to Ouray, via mountain trek. Anyone know of this? We go to Ouray every year with a group and thought it would be a great way to start the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.