Rank 0

Contributor I

Kern County, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
P
Hi everyone.

The wife and I are buying a trailer very soon. I have looked at probably 30 different trailer builders/manufacturers. It will be used for quick 2 day trips to week long cross country trips to hunting trips through numerous states. We need more space than the typical two person teardrop so that's why we have narrowed it down to options with bunks inside or extra space (no kids but 2 doggos). We really like the teardrop style Campers and kind of narrowed it down to the Colorado Teardrop Campers. We really like the Summit Pinnacle they have and the options they have for customs add ons. I also really love the So10x5 from Overkill Campers. My one issue is that the slide out is the obvious weakness for failure in the future along with dust and water intrusion.. My problem so far with Overkill is that it has been impossible to get a hold of them.

So here we are. I am an inexperienced Overlander compared to most here and figured I would ask and get some opinions on both trailers. What do you guys think? Any experience with either company?

Thanks for your time and input.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Lots of home builders are even tackling slide outs for teardrops these days. I don’t know that it’s the weak point you’re concerned with.

I built a 5x10 tear 12 years ago. I didn’t have overlanding in mind, but did have boondocking (dispersed) camping in there when my kids and I built her. . It works well, but the cabin on mine would be cramped unless the dogs ares small

Reactions: KeenEye

KeenEye

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kern County, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
P
Lots of home builders are even tackling slide outs for teardrops these days. I don’t know that it’s the weak point you’re concerned with.

I built a 5x10 tear 12 years ago. I didn’t have overlanding in mind, but did have boondocking (dispersed) camping in there when my kids and I built her. . It works well, but the cabin on mine would be cramped unless the dogs ares small
Thanks for the reply.
I'll be honest I think it just concerned me when I compared it to a straightforward "boxed" design. I'll definitely disregard that as a concern now.

My dogs are both less than 40 pounds and sleep on my bed at home. So I figured the bunk option or the slide option would be plenty.

Reactions: Sparksalot

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You might look at the Teton X Hybrid or Mission Overland Trailer if you haven't already. At some point the trailers get very big which begins to limit where you can go. Just keep that in mind. My old VRV was good for forest roads and had cubby holes that would work for smaller dogs. My 35 lb Border Collie could fit. InTech has similar designs. I think Boreas is coming out with a bigger trailer. I love my Off Grid but if we bring the dogs it means the dogs and wife are in the trailer and I am out in an annex tent.

You aren't the first person to state Overkill seems to be hard to get a hold of sadly. I think the slide out design is neat but reliable customer service is a key component before spending money.

If you have never owned a teardrop I would recommend looking for some rentals. Most are $100-$150 which sounds expensive. That's a lot cheaper than buying the wrong trailer though.

KeenEye

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kern County, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
P
You might look at the Teton X Hybrid or Mission Overland Trailer if you haven't already. At some point the trailers get very big which begins to limit where you can go. Just keep that in mind. My old VRV was good for forest roads and had cubby holes that would work for smaller dogs. My 35 lb Border Collie could fit. InTech has similar designs. I think Boreas is coming out with a bigger trailer. I love my Off Grid but if we bring the dogs it means the dogs and wife are in the trailer and I am out in an annex tent.

You aren't the first person to state Overkill seems to be hard to get a hold of sadly. I think the slide out design is neat but reliable customer service is a key component before spending money.

If you have never owned a teardrop I would recommend looking for some rentals. Most are $100-$150 which sounds expensive. That's a lot cheaper than buying the wrong trailer though.
Thanks for the thorough reply.

I have checked out Teton X but will definitely take another look. I will check out Intech as well. I was hoping to eventually hear back from Overkill but man you made a good point about the customer service part. I just crossed them off the list. I will see if I can go rent a teardrop soon and get a feel for it. Once again, thanks for the insight and your time!

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Hi everyone.

The wife and I are buying a trailer very soon. I have looked at probably 30 different trailer builders/manufacturers. It will be used for quick 2 day trips to week long cross country trips to hunting trips through numerous states. We need more space than the typical two person teardrop so that's why we have narrowed it down to options with bunks inside or extra space (no kids but 2 doggos). We really like the teardrop style Campers and kind of narrowed it down to the Colorado Teardrop Campers. We really like the Summit Pinnacle they have and the options they have for customs add ons. I also really love the So10x5 from Overkill Campers. My one issue is that the slide out is the obvious weakness for failure in the future along with dust and water intrusion.. My problem so far with Overkill is that it has been impossible to get a hold of them.

So here we are. I am an inexperienced Overlander compared to most here and figured I would ask and get some opinions on both trailers. What do you guys think? Any experience with either company?

Thanks for your time and input.
Feel free to give me a call sometime! I sell two of the best SQTD's in the states. We can sideroom the animal's right next to you guys where there convenient to check on. Standard RTT Annex's are usually removed and inconvenient to access.
Www.leaddogmotorsports.com 20200530_114016.jpg

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
I'm sorry to hear Overkill's customer service stinks... but I'll tell you this:

The folks in the network selling Offgrid Trailers sure get it. I have never waited long for contact from anyone to get questions answered.

Reactions: Billiebob

BuzzyBud

Rank I

Member I

Atkinson NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Interesting comments concerning Overkill customer service. I have not yet contacted them, but I like the T.K. 47. It is a small squaredrop, but big enough for me and the dog. It is pricy, but might be just what I need. Anyone have experience with the T.K.47? I found the article and YouTube videos below to be fascinating.

KeenEye

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kern County, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
P
Oregon Adventure Rentals in Oregon rents out those Overkill trailers

Outdoor Adventure Vehicle & Van Rental in Oregon and Arizona - Oregon Adventure Rentals

They have the S.O. and T.K. models!
Not sure how I missed some of these responses. We ended up getting a Colorado Teardrop, specifically the Summit Pinnacle model. Had it about a year now and we are loving it. Have done roughly 8-10 trips in it and it has been wonderful. It has taken a solid beating as well and stayed strong.

Reactions: Boort

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
It's still only August 6, 2021.... aren't you still in your delivery window?

Still, I agree: terrible customer service. I'd like to see them get you taken care of. I was considering the SO5.10, but these reviews of their lousy response have really tossed water on that fire.

Best of luck, Eric... let us know how you make out.

CMac

taco42

Rank I

Enthusiast I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Bermudez
Member #

I have the TK47 on order. Should be getting at the end of July. I saw these guys at the expo in Flagstaff.

I will post more about the trailer when I get it.
Did you get the trailer?? If yes, how was the overall experience?

BennyGoodman

Rank I

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Goodman
I was in the market for the two trailers on this thread as well. Went with a SoCal Teardrop and have been happy with my choice. When researching I found this thread from Expedition Portal highlighting many of the things you've already referred to regarding Overkill: Overkill Campers

Bat21, I've run into a few people with similar experiences with them. Two got their deposit returned, one had to resort to legal action. Sounds like Overkill is the new Moby1 if you guys remember that dumpster fire!

Reactions: Boort

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pima County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

Ok, after a year and a month...I received my TK47 from Overkill. They were empathetic to my wait and shipped it to me at no cost to me. There have been some minor issues and have been in contact with them to fix these problems. All in all...to put a number on it, I would say I am 84% pleased with everything. I haven't had it our yet, and that number could get better with more use. But, for now...there is a lot of room for improvement.

Attachments