COLORADO FRONT RANGERS: Any interest in a trip to Hermit, Hayden and Medano Passes (Great Sand Dunes)?

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Fellow Front Rangers,

I'm gauging interest in a potential trip involving those passes listed above.

The preliminary idea might be for those available on Friday to meet and run Hermit Pass and then camping in that area. Saturday morning we'd meet others in Westcliffe and then head for Medano Pass. We'd secure a campsite along the Medano Pass road and spend some time at the Dunes. Sunday morning we would depart from the Great Sand Dunes National Park and head up to the Villa Grove area and cross Hayden Pass. We would call it complete upon reaching Hwy 50.

Any and all constructive feedback appreciated!

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Haven’t been to any of those places yet. Could I do them in my 4wd truck or would I need to snag the wife’s jeep? My offroad camper can go anywhere the tow vehicles can take it.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Haven’t been to any of those places yet. Could I do them in my 4wd truck or would I need to snag the wife’s jeep? My offroad camper can go anywhere the tow vehicles can take it.
Medano is usually maintained well enough for a stock truck. I don't think Hayden would be too much of a challenge either (depending on your comfort level). I haven't seen Hermit in several years. As far as I know it's just annoyingly bumpy, but very scenic. I'll be doing more investigation.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Neal A. Tew
Indeed.. AND disconnect the sway bars!
This was sounding like fun until you mentioned popping the sway bars for Hermit. I've not been over that pass that I recall. Any idea how it compares to Mosquito pass? Asking because I've been over Mosquito in my stock Tacoma but decided to get better off road tires before I did it again. The video I found on youtube the rocky section looks a lot like the scree pile I remember from Mosquito. (I don't think the bad section on Mosquito was more that a couple of hundred yards where as this looks like more.)

Boort

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew

This was sounding like fun until you mentioned popping the sway bars for Hermit. I've not been over that pass that I recall. Any idea how it compares to Mosquito pass? Asking because I've been over Mosquito in my stock Tacoma but decided to get better off road tires before I did it again. The video I found on youtube the rocky section looks a lot like the scree pile I remember from Mosquito. (I don't think the bad section on Mosquito was more that a couple of hundred yards where as this looks like more.)

Boort
Ha! I was just trying to draw in you lurkers! :sunglasses::tonguewink:

For starters, Hermit will be optional. It's out and back so it doesn't contribute anything towards reaching our destination.

As for sway bars, I disconnect earlier than most because my truck rides SOOOO much better on bumpy roads with them disconnected. I can go twice as fast comfortably.

If I remember correctly, Hermit's rocks are rounded and smoother verses the scree you mention on Mosquito. It may be a longer area too. We can start up it and see how it feels. Anyone that isn't digging it can head back down to camp.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Neal A. Tew

When are you thinking? I'd like to get some night photography done in the area so Last 2 weekends in July should offer up some good Milky Way viewing and the Delta-Aquariad Metor shower as an added bonus.

Boort

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Indeed.. AND disconnect the sway bars!
Ugh. I don't have disconnecting sway bars *pouty face*. Makes me question if I should've just gotten a Power Wagon since it has a locking diff, stock winch, and electronically disconnected sway bars...

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew

When are you thinking? I'd like to get some night photography done in the area so Last 2 weekends in July should offer up some good Milky Way viewing and the Delta-Aquariad Metor shower as an added bonus.

Boort
How about 7/21-7/23?

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

@Neal A. Tew

Boort
I would definitely love to be on this trip. I like to learn as much as I can about as much as I can, and photography is up there on the list.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Ugh. I don't have disconnecting sway bars *pouty face*. Makes me question if I should've just gotten a Power Wagon since it has a locking diff, stock winch, and electronically disconnected sway bars...
I just remove one nut in the rear and swing the link out of the way. In the front, I just loosen each side about an inch.

Don't let it be a show-stopper. It might not make as big of difference for you.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm currently on call for that weekend but if I can't get someone to swap I'm open the following. Let me see if I can get a trade done on Mon.

Boort

Feel free to suggest an alternative......