Colorado Dispersed Camping Question

• HTML tutorial

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

I almost hesitate to ask this, because I'm worried I know the answer...

Planning a 2-3 week trip to Colorado starting around July 22nd. We'd like to incorporate a decent amount of time in dispersed campsites to get away from the largest crowds, but wondered how packed they were likely to be. The Recreation.gov managed campgrounds are nearly packed. Looking primarily in the Rocky Mountain NP/Roosevelt and Arapahoe NF area and the White River NF/Aspen area.

I know this is a general question so specific answers will be difficult, but I am looking for an idea as to what we're in for.

Thank you for any thoughts.

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

Just got back from a big trip that took us through CO. First thing, stay informed on the wildfires as our trip was cut a week short due to the fire in the Weston Pass area and an evac area north of Cripple Creek.

Now more specifically to your question. We went through the White River NF, and I was surprised at how many dispersed sites there were. This was our first time really to camp this way and really was surprised. We stopped at a nice spot on the west side of Hagerman Pass if you want coordinates shoot me a message.

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

@RusD

I'd like to know the coords. Always looking for new places around that area myself.

Boort
39 18.111,-106 34.775

That is where we camped. Most of the sites we saw along that road, 105, were just enough room for a vehicle, maybe a small tent, and a fire ring. The spot we stopped had plenty of room for my Tacoma, tent, cook area, fire ring, and plenty of room for the kids to run around and play. That evening a Jeep with a RTT and a motorcycle and ground tent joined the area; we could barely see the motorcycle camp, and the Jeep was far enough off to basically have their own separate area. There was another area before this near a big meadow that looked really nice but it already had 3 or 4 camps set up around it so we kept on. Hope that helps. I wish we had more time to explore the area, but this was just a through route from Utah to Colorado Springs for us.

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Thank you @RusD for the coordinates and description. That is exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

I've been watching/tracking the wild fires in the state and I'm hoping some rain that's moving through will help them get things under control.

Thank you again.