Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

All good morning. Just picked up a Coleman Dual Fuel Stove model 424 and my wife had a good question I don’t have an answer to. What weight capacity can the stove hold?

I.e. can it handle a cast iron Dutch Oven with a soup or stew as and a cast iron 10” fry pan with some grilled sandwiches as well?

Can it handle a cast iron griddle at breakfast?

I am so used to cooking directly on a fire or our backyard grill never thought about weight on that stove.

Thanks!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Yes. They are designed for the medium sized pans or smaller though, but you should have no problem with the fry pan. It might be an issue if you use a bigger Dutch oven or try to use both - due to grill size, not strength.

Have you tried placing them on top and see what happens?

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Yes. They are designed for the medium sized pans or smaller though, but you should have no problem with the fry pan. It might be an issue if you use a bigger Dutch oven or try to use both - due to grill size, not strength.

Thanks. We have not tried them yet because we haven't bought them yet. Wanted to verify before buying but your explanation makes sense. Perhaps get some lighter weight stuff for the stove versus heavier items for the griddle or fire pit.

Reactions: Correus

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
All good morning. Just picked up a Coleman Dual Fuel Stove model 424 and my wife had a good question I don’t have an answer to. What weight capacity can the stove hold?

I.e. can it handle a cast iron Dutch Oven with a soup or stew as and a cast iron 10” fry pan with some grilled sandwiches as well?

Can it handle a cast iron griddle at breakfast?

I am so used to cooking directly on a fire or our backyard grill never thought about weight on that stove.

Thanks!
I use CI skillets, Griddles, and DOs on mine... no issue with weight.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Frdmskr

RoadRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mid-Atlantic region
First Name
Greg
Last Name
G.
Member #

For a Dutch oven you may just make a place in the fire and rotate for an even cook

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We've been using that model Coleman for decades. The first one lasted over 35 years. This new one probably will out live me. It has no problem supporting the weight of a 5 qt cast iron dutch oven. We have the gourmet cooking equipment for home use. On the road or at camp, we cook very basic fare.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
A great and solid stove. I don’t like using gasoline in mine, as it tends to gum up the tip of the generator, but Coleman fuel or adding a propane generator and using propane makes it a tri-fuel appliance that works extremely well for any climate, elevation or fuel choice.

it’s also one of the beefier stoves they made, so a cast iron griddle, upto a 14 in cast iron skillet or DutchOven will fit on it with no issues. I even placed a Colema stove stand insidemy 424 up front under the grill for storage while transporting. Adds some weight, but my truck will haul it like it’s not even there..

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have a 424 along with he Powerhouse stove. It would hold the weight and sized to hold two 10 inch pans if I recall correctly. That being said if I were using a dutch oven only over the stove I would likely not go with cast iron. This is not a knock and if you have watched any of my videos you know I love cast iron, but if you are not cooking in the fire I would go with something like the GSI anodized I link below. Easier maintenance, don't have to worry about what you are cooking in them, lighter etc. I also think that @lhoffm4 makes a great point-you can add the Stansport propane adaptor to the stove if you wish. I have linked that as well.

Reactions: Downs and cug

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Thanks for the info on the propane converter, I'll definitely get one of these if I switch more of my cooking to propane (from white gas). Do you happen to know what I need to hook this up to a 5lbs propane tank?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Thanks for the info on the propane converter, I'll definitely get one of these if I switch more of my cooking to propane (from white gas). Do you happen to know what I need to hook this up to a 5lbs propane tank?
I would consider a propane tree. It comes with a couple hoses that will connect the propane tank to the stove. The adapter alone will allow you to connect one of the small 1lb bottles directly to it, but a tree will let you use a 20lb tank that should last an entire trip if used sparingly. I also attach a propane lantern to the top of the tree, giving light as well as a stove. Lots of modular and scalable uses. Of course you will probably want/need more space in your vehicle or trailer. These amenities are generally not considered compact. A truck and/or trailer are best suited for transporting and storing them.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Thanks for the info. Great to know. I don't think I'll need any other propane run appliances, so a tree might be overkill. I'm planning to stick to white gas for the time being, it has served me well during my backpacking trips, but I wanted to prep for times when it doesn't.

Although, thinking more about this I'll probably just switch to a different stove then to get independent flame control. Although it's always good to be able to run of multiple fuel sources.

Reactions: lhoffm4