Launch Member

Explorer I

Maiden North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellesfield
Member #

Good Morning.. Can anyone suggest Cold Weather Gear for Canadian Winters? I will be working in December, January & February in Thompson Manatoba. Since I am from down in the states I dont have the proper gear in my inventory. Will be working both inside on Equipment and Outside Maintaining Building and the Grounds. Thanks for any help. OB # 0951

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Go to “marks work warehouse” and go on a shopping spree. They’ll set you up with rugged warm clothes.

And think in layers. As you warm up with physical activity you can shed a layer.

RockDisco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

The Trick to staying warm in the real cold is to stay dry, Don't over insulate or the moisture will be far worse. Next layer up, have the ability to add otf take off layers. If its windy, have a good shell, but if your moving, make sure it can breath. Handwarmers in your gloves can be a saver if the gloves need to come on and off a lot. You will be surprised how quickly your body adapts to the cold, by the end of winter -15 feels warm.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@BlackSheepExpedition

Good Morning.. Can anyone suggest Cold Weather Gear for Canadian Winters? I will be working in December, January & February in Thompson Manatoba. Since I am from down in the states I dont have the proper gear in my inventory. Will be working both inside on Equipment and Outside Maintaining Building and the Grounds. Thanks for any help. OB # 0951
I'm partial WSI "HEATR" gear. ( https://wsisports.com/collections/winter-sportswear-warmest-layer ) for base and mid layers.

A Buddy who used to work on research vessels in Gulf of Alaska swore by his wind proof Nomar fleece gear. I think he had it for over 20 years still wears it doing his farm chores in Northern Montana. ( I think this is the one he has https://nomaralaska.com/collections/clothing/products/sockeye-jacket?variant=6044672819238 )

I'm also saving up for a Expedition Parka from CanadaGoose. These are the parkas used at McMurdo Station Antarctica. I got to wear one when I got cold as a kid from a family friend who overwintered there. Warmest jacket I've ever known and built to last. they have another more expensive one (Snow Mantra Parka) that is often bought for the roughnecks in AK and Northern Canada that is billed as the warmest jacket on earth or some such.

Boort

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
At least 2 sets of thermals...I like the new, super tech thin ones for layering. A 2nd med-wt., since these are for working. If you were in a more static situation, heavy thermals would work. i would also get 2 types of beanies. A large one that easily pulls down around your neck, and a Peruvian type with ear flaps and chin ties. It stays in place. Merino wool socks....no itch, and multi-pairs of gloves as others have stated. Boots....well waterproof for sure, as well as insulated. Buy some waterproof spray and give them a couple of coats. Goretex sock booties can be a good addition also.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I appreciate everyone input on Gear.
Getting another dollop of snow tonight I found some more gear as I was getting ready for tomorrow.

32Degrees Heat ( sold at Costco, currently on sale for $6-7 per shirt or pair of pants in this month's flyer ) I have a few of these base layer shirts and pants. Similar to my UnderArmor stuff w/o paying for the UA logo plastered all over the gear. Also saw my local Costco just got in a shipment of hoodies from this brand that look to be worth a try.
Links:
Similar products available for the Ladies and kids too.

I also like my various fleece lined Jeans, "Dockers", and quick dry pants:
Boort