US Rocky Mountain Cloverdale Mine Trail with Rainbow Lake & More!

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Exploratory trip and camp out along the Cloverdale Mine Trail near Westcliffe, CO. (With add-ons available!)

View Rally Point

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@JCarter @Iridium and any others interested in coming Friday, please share your ETA and whether you might like to squeeze in a run on Friday.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

@JCarter @Iridium and any others interested in coming Friday, please share your ETA and whether you might like to squeeze in a run on Friday.
I would be also interested in leaving Friday afternoon and camp that night.

From Denver is about 3 hours via I-25 or 3.5 hours via Hwy 285 S and CO-9.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

After speaking with my wife, we will likely leave earlier in the day, as we have a 4 hr drive south from Fort Collins. Realistically the earliest we could be at the meet up point would be around noon on Friday.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
After speaking with my wife, we will likely leave earlier in the day, as we have a 4 hr drive south from Fort Collins. Realistically the earliest we could be at the meet up point would be around noon on Friday.
My thought was to find a campsite on the way to the meetup spot that put us within a 1hr maximum drive time for the morning meetup Saturday. That way anybody that can't leave until after work, does not have to set up in the dark.
If somebody is able to get a spot and guide us all in for the night that would be great.

@Neal A. Tew do you have any recommendations for good campsites for those of us traveling from up North?

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

My thought was to find a campsite on the way to the meetup spot that put us within a 1hr maximum drive time for the morning meetup Saturday. That way anybody that can't leave until after work, does not have to set up in the dark.
If somebody is able to get a spot and guide us all in for the night that would be great.

@Neal A. Tew do you have any recommendations for good campsites for those of us traveling from up North?
I was also planning to leave Friday after work, probably sometime around 4 pm. For all of us coming from the Denver area, we can plan on meeting and head down together.
I would camp as much close as the trailhead if possible, I can look into it.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Are you familiar with the Penrose Trail system? While I know those trails are harder than any of us want, it does have dispersed camping and it's along the route. You might fight it interesting to walk the trails and even more so if there's anyone to watch.

It might even be fun to have a campout there one weekend just to spectate.

Here's the easiest of the 3 trails:

If so, we might use it for our primary start location.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Are you familiar with the Penrose Trail system? While I know those trails are harder than any of us want, it does have dispersed camping and it's along the route. You might fight it interesting to walk the trails and even more so if there's anyone to watch.

It might even be fun to have a campout there one weekend just to spectate.

Here's the easiest of the 3 trails:

If so, we might use it for our primary start location.
That is the easiest? LOL

Aeroscout

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

We will likely arrive on Friday mid-afternoon and would like to base camp Friday and Saturday night if possible.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Please note the Saturday meeting area has changed slightly to the Texas Creek OHV Area's staging lot.
CLICK HERE or see Rally Point.

I'm tentatively planning to camp Friday night inside the Texas Creek OHV area. Once we get on the Cloverdale Mine trail on Saturday we'll be looking for a place to set up camp along the trail for that night.

Everyone that has RSVP'd or otherwise wants to attend, please reply with your status and ETA in this thread even if we've discussed it recently. It helps tremendously to have it all in one place. These responses will help me plan something fun for Friday.

Reactions: Iridium

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Please note the Saturday meeting area has changed slightly to the Texas Creek OHV Area's staging lot.
CLICK HERE or see Rally Point.

I'm tentatively planning to camp Friday night inside the Texas Creek OHV area. Once we get on the Cloverdale Mine trail on Saturday we'll be looking for a place to set up camp along the trail for that night.

Everyone that has RSVP'd or otherwise wants to attend, please reply with your status and ETA in this thread even if we've discussed it recently. It helps tremendously to have it all in one place. These responses will help me plan something fun for Friday.
I’ll be there on Friday about 10-11am

• Love