Clearance around air compressor?

• HTML tutorial

stevet47

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I decided to hard-mount my Viair 400P compressor instead of leaving it portable. The question I have is, how much space do I need to leave around the compressor for heat? I asked Viair, and they just said “keep compressor away from anything that should not get hot”. Gee, thanks Viair!

I want to mount it between my headlight and air box, which leaves about 1” of clearance around the compressor. Is this enough room to not melt my air box and headlight housing? I’d think so, but don’t want to learn the hard way!

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I decided to hard-mount my Viair 400P compressor instead of leaving it portable. The question I have is, how much space do I need to leave around the compressor for heat? I asked Viair, and they just said “keep compressor away from anything that should not get hot”. Gee, thanks Viair!

I want to mount it between my headlight and air box, which leaves about 1” of clearance around the compressor. Is this enough room to not melt my air box and headlight housing? I’d think so, but don’t want to learn the hard way!

I think that's actually a valid suggestion from ViAir; far too many scenarios and environments and air-flow possibilities for them to say simply 3" from all surfaces, for example.

Experience with my ViAir and ARB compressors is that where you show it in your images should be fine. Those fins are on the compressor to help heat dissipate and keep the hotter surface from being in direct contact with another surfaces.

Install it there, leave the hood up, and run it a good bit and see what the temps are on adjacent surfaces. By touch is usually sufficient. If concerned, use an infrared thermometer gun. I bought one a couple years back to use just for things like this and have found it really handy to have. I keep it with me in the van when traveling. They range in price from $18-19 up to $80 or more. If considering one, be sure it is more for industrial/automotive/etc not just reading foreheads.

I'd keep your hood open when running it if at all concerned or if it seems to run too hot for your comfort.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you find so others can use the info, too.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It looks fine where you put it if you notice any heat you dont like then surround it with some reflective tape so the air box and whatever else dont get hot, but since your not gonna be airing up while driving there shouldnt be an issue. With the hood up it would be fine. I just dont like hard mounted compressors due to being limited to the front or rear of the vehicle sometimes you may need to take the compressor to another rig on a tight trail for them to use and hard mounting you have to get real close and have enough air line to reach em. My 2017 duramax colorado, 02 ranger 7700, ultra 4 rock buggy and tractor all share 1 compressor because i cant drive all 3 at once and dont want to spend for 4 pumps

stevet47

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I just dont like hard mounted compressors due to being limited to the front or rear of the vehicle sometimes you may need to take the compressor to another rig on a tight trail for them to use and hard mounting you have to get real close and have enough air line to reach em. My 2017 duramax colorado, 02 ranger 7700, ultra 4 rock buggy and tractor all share 1 compressor because i cant drive all 3 at once and dont want to spend for 4 pumps
Makes sense, I’m just trying to cut back on the amount of stuff I have to load/carry, so hard-mounting means it is always there, and always out of the way.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I can't speak to the Viair, but I've had a MV50 "wedged" into the back of my 4Runner for about 10 years and have had no problems with heat.

To reduce noise I added some Rammat (like Dynomat) to the exterior panel. This also reduces heat transfer.

And I added a thin piece of closed cell foam to the compressor head to reduce vibrations. This has not melted, even after heavy use.

stevet47

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Thanks all.
I started mounting it last night. Since I won’t be needing the on/off switch that comes mounted on the 400P, I took that end cap off and it reduced the length by 2”, so now it will fit in that spot it it’s proper orientation. I had to take the airbox, headlight and inner fender well off, then loosen the front bumper to gain access to everything, but it’s coming along. I’ll post a pic later. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Road

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

No way in hell will a small air compressor like that melt plastic from an inch away. If you get to the point you are melting that plastic, you have long since ruined the compressor!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

No way in hell will a small air compressor like that melt plastic from an inch away. If you get to the point you are melting that plastic, you have long since ruined the compressor!
Those sound like famous last words before your truck catches fire.

I agree it wont get anything hot unless you get some leaves or something flamable stuck in between. Or a squirrel or rat decides to build a nest.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My Viair is mounted in the rear quarter panel similar to @slomatt . The difference being, I have more room around it for cooling. I have a wire loom about two inch's from the compressor and heat shielded the wiring just because. The compressor gets hot but doesn't seem to run hotter than normal. It's been there for close to four years with no issues yet. I chose not to mount it in the engine compartment due to dust and moisture.