Choosing The Right Tent

• HTML tutorial

Patrick-PeachStateOvrlnd

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA
Member #

You’re probably reading this because you either want to get more into self-reliant travel or you just want to validate that you’re taking everything into consideration before you make the most important purchase toward your traveling experience. I have worked my way through each of these tent phases based my needs in different times in my life. I am going to attempt to consolidate my experience into a list of pros and cons and things to consider for each of these types of tents.

The Ground Tent

pic1.jpg

Ground Tents are typically considered the most cost effective way to start your camping experience, but they do not have to be an uncomfortable or subpar experience. For the purpose of this write up, let’s break ground tents up into 2 categories.

The Backpacker’s Ground Tent

pic2.png

The backpacker’s ground tent is created with the goal of being light weight, easy to set up and secure from the elements. This was the tent I used for the majority of the Georgia section of the AT (Appalachian Trail) and it was purchased from REI for a modest $80. This tent offered me enough space for my oversized sleeping bag, my inflatable mattress, and room to toss and turn at night. After you install the rain fly, you have a place to keep your pack in the vestibule where it is free from the direct elements. If you are expecting rain be sure to leave your pack in the rain cover to keep it off the ground. In the above pic I was expecting snow, so to make packing up a little easier I put the tarp over my tent. Since this tent only weighed about 3 lbs. and could pack up to the size of a Nalgene bottle, it was ideal for hiking on the AT.

Traditional Ground Tent

pic3.png

The traditional ground tent has been sheltering people from the elements for hundreds of years, and with modern advances in textiles and fiberglass poles, it has only been getting more affordable, lighter, and more effective against the elements. The entering price point for a modest 4 person Coleman tent is about $60, but can range to about $1,000+ based on the functionality, size, and ease of use. This tent is good for families, or situations where you set up an extended base camp or may need to store gear for several days. These tents are fairly durable and should be packed away neatly, and be allowed to dry and cleaned out before long term storage. The above pic was from my competition in 36 hours of Uwharrie and is considered a 4 person tent, but with food and gear stored in the tent it only allows two adults to sleep comfortably. This type of tent is not ideal for backpacking because it would be too heavy and bulky to carry in your pack.

The Hammock Tent

pioc4.png

The hammock tent is another tent good option for solo trips. I have found 2 situations where a hammock tent is a perfect fit for my camping experience. I first used the hammock tent to complete a couple of sections of the AT and some overnight backpacking trips in North Georgia. I very quickly decided that it was a much better backpacking tent because it kept you off the ground, allowed for an under quilt for ultra-cold situations, and if hung correctly allowed for a better night sleep. I say “hung correctly” because there is a specific way you should hang the hammock for the best experience. If you try this option make sure you look it up so you are happy with you decision. If you are comfortable sleeping on your back I highly recommend this for solo camping situations. The second situation where this type of tent met my needs when during my filming of Red Clay Rally. I rode along in other people’s trucks during the trip and was very limited on space. The only thing to consider when using a hammock tent is “will there be enough trees to support your needs” (<- pun J ). In a pinch you could mount the tent to your bumper or roof rack if you could find at least one tree. This tent is great for people who want to hit challenging trails where clearance or top heaviness is a potential concern with a roof top tent but do not want to sleep on the ground.

Pro-Tip: You should still use an inflatable mattress when hammock camping because if offers a little more support and helps hold the tent open when entering and exiting.

Roof Top Tent

pic5.png

If you are looking for the best sleeping experience in the wilderness, look no further. At first glance, the roof top tent may seem like too much work or very bulky for your travelling experience, but the reality is that most people do not use their roof for storage so the roof top tent takes up virtually zero usable space. The typical roof top tent also has room for blankets and pillows, and even a 1.5” memory foam mattress in my case. The tent takes about 5-10 minutes to setup and 10-12 minutes to take down when not using the annex. The nicest tents even have skylights and prewiring for USB devices and lighting. The annex offers a place to store auxiliary gear, or even a place to put a camp toilet so you don’t have to setup a privy. The opening price point for a good RTT is about $1000, but I have seen several pop up for less. When making an investment as large as this one, I would typically look for a company that has a good reputation, longevity in the US market, and great customer service.

Below is a time-lapse video I made of the setup.

Ultimately you have to make the best decision for you because it’s your money you are spending. If we sat down and had a beer, these would be the musing I would share, but these are just my opinions.

Do you have an opinion? Did I miss any other types of tents? Comment below with your experiences.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

My experience limited to backpack & roof top tents. Agree with most of your arguments for/against. Can eliminate three of the four negatives you cite against the RTT by adding a trailer, although multiplies the forth negative (cost) and adds a potential new one if storage is an issue.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Don't forget that there are multiple kinds of ground tents as well, not just the backpacking tents. Quick setup OZ tents or similar canvas tents tents offer super fast deployment with weather proof canvas and PVC floors with standing room and rain flys. Like a roof top tent for the ground.

Overland pros Panamint 2000

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I didn't not see it mentioned but the ground surface conditions greatly effect your comfort in a tent. It's rare in the desert to find a nice level ground surface. And when you do it's sand. Not always great for staking out a ground tent.

I love my RTT in the desert. Much easier to level out my truck with a couple rocks on any surface for a nice sleeping surface. Plus I'm high enough to stay out of the blowing sand that has destroyed the zippers on a couple ground tents.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I've used ground tents, backpacking tents, and hammocks to camp in. It's all about preference and comfort. For me, I've always had a ground tent, but recently started using a backpacking tent for bikepacking to save weight. I love hammock camping for the comfort, small amount of gear, and having good airflow for warmer months. I have yet to try hammock camping in cooler months, but have some ideas on what to do. Right now, I sleep in the back of my rig, so no tent for me. I think I'd like to have one of the Jeep/SUV tents for the added space. As my rig progresses, I might change it up. If I have other passengers besides myself an my pup, then I might end up not sleeping in the back. I've learned over the years to have a variety of gear to be able to adapt to the environment and have the ability to camp in any situation.

Patrick-PeachStateOvrlnd

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA
Member #

My experience limited to backpack & roof top tents. Agree with most of your arguments for/against. Can eliminate three of the four negatives you cite against the RTT by adding a trailer, although multiplies the forth negative (cost) and adds a potential new one if storage is an issue.

Doesn't adding a trailer add a lot of cost? Also, I discovered that adding a trailer with a tent netted me the same MPG reduction as having the RTT on my roof. The benefit is better MPG for the daily drive to and from work.

Love your setup!

Patrick-PeachStateOvrlnd

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA
Member #

I didn't not see it mentioned but the ground surface conditions greatly effect your comfort in a tent. It's rare in the desert to find a nice level ground surface. And when you do it's sand. Not always great for staking out a ground tent.

I love my RTT in the desert. Much easier to level out my truck with a couple rocks on any surface for a nice sleeping surface. Plus I'm high enough to stay out of the blowing sand that has destroyed the zippers on a couple ground tents.
I have only camped in a desert/sandy location a couple of times, but I did notice that I got sand in my zipper. That can easily be remedied with some wax, but I didnt realize that going into the trip. You can also pick up some RV leveling blocks if you plan on camping in uneven ground. My buddy Steven always carries a set for his because his tent is on his roof. Since I have moved mine to a trailer i have found it to be easier to level when disconnected from the truck.

Thanks for contributing! :)

Patrick-PeachStateOvrlnd

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA
Member #

I've used ground tents, backpacking tents, and hammocks to camp in. It's all about preference and comfort. For me, I've always had a ground tent, but recently started using a backpacking tent for bikepacking to save weight. I love hammock camping for the comfort, small amount of gear, and having good airflow for warmer months. I have yet to try hammock camping in cooler months, but have some ideas on what to do. Right now, I sleep in the back of my rig, so no tent for me. I think I'd like to have one of the Jeep/SUV tents for the added space. As my rig progresses, I might change it up. If I have other passengers besides myself an my pup, then I might end up not sleeping in the back. I've learned over the years to have a variety of gear to be able to adapt to the environment and have the ability to camp in any situation.
I totally agree with preference and comfort! I would love to bikepack some day, my dad has been trying to get me to go canoe camping, so I'll be adding that to the list soon.

Thanks for contributing! :)

Reactions: thedaddybadger

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Doesn't adding a trailer add a lot of cost? Also, I discovered that adding a trailer with a tent netted me the same MPG reduction as having the RTT on my roof. The benefit is better MPG for the daily drive to and from work.

Love your setup!
Yes, I referenced magnifying the 4th negative (cost) while reducing the other 3. Don't know MPG vs. roof mounted as I only have trailer mounted experience (costs me 3MPG vs. no trailer).

Patrick-PeachStateOvrlnd

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA
Member #

Yes, I referenced magnifying the 4th negative (cost) while reducing the other 3. Don't know MPG vs. roof mounted as I only have trailer mounted experience (costs me 3MPG vs. no trailer).
Oh I see what you were saying.

Re: "Can eliminate three of the four negatives you cite against the RTT by adding a trailer, although multiplies the forth negative (cost) and adds a potential new one if storage is an issue."

I would argue that when comparing a RTT to a trailer + RTT that your cost would go up (which you already called out), but I would also add your wind resistance would go up (Vehicle + trailer), and your total weight would go up (Vehicle + trailer). The only improvement would be the mobility of your vehicle at camp, and then to your point storage would be a concern.

Thanks! :)

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Oh I see what you were saying.

Re: "Can eliminate three of the four negatives you cite against the RTT by adding a trailer, although multiplies the forth negative (cost) and adds a potential new one if storage is an issue."

I would argue that when comparing a RTT to a trailer + RTT that your cost would go up (which you already called out), but I would also add your wind resistance would go up (Vehicle + trailer), and your total weight would go up (Vehicle + trailer). The only improvement would be the mobility of your vehicle at camp, and then to your point storage would be a concern.

Thanks! :)
To your points, I can't make a case for or against wind resistance vs. roof mounted RTT as I only know the trailer side (- 3 MPG), no disagreement with total weight, nor the storage issue of a trailer.
But I will make some other points.
* I'm not a fan of roof mounted RTT's, spare tires, or heavy gear loaded on roof racks/baskets for center of gravity reasons.
* The trailer and RTT weight/MPG penalties are only issues when in tow. On a vehicle mounted RTT, the weight/MPG hits are continuous unless you remove/reinstall when needed (which presents its own PITA issues).
* No vehicle height issues with trailer (garage door and parking garage clearance issues).
* Additional cargo capacity of trailer. With a 2dr. Wrangler, this is my trailer's primary purpose. Tent platform is secondary.
* With a Wrangler, cost of a quality roof rack with exoskeleton (Gobi) to support a roof mounted RTT is significant.

Everything is a compromise. A trailer/RTT works for me. You'll decide what option/compromise works best for you.

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

I like the hammock also. For solo trips you just can't beat it for comfort and packed size. Of course you need some trees or at least one tree, and a way to hang from you rig. You can go to ground in one, and use the tarp as a shelter, but I've never done it. If you are going to use one for anything but the warmest time of year, get an underquilt. Laying in a sleeping bag will compress the loft under you and the cold air will freeze your butt in the middle of the night. Pads can work, but they are not ideal for a hammock use. The underquilt is THE way to go. You will be comfy warm and sleep great!

thedaddybadger

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Dallas, GA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Boles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREZ965
[emoji1305]To each their own [emoji1305]

Having owned 4 different RTT’s, a variety of ground tents, and a hammock, and having overland camped, car camped, backpack camped, and bike camped (albeit only 1x 20+ years ago), there are def. pros/cons to every setup. Owning 4 RTT’s and experimenting have helped me hone in on my ideal setup. I love my CVT Mt. St. Helens hardshell RTT, and the fact that I can easily move it from my roof to a trailer, which in my case will be a teardrop-style camper (likely a Hiker Trailer), depending on the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had great luck with the Colman quick set tent , sure they are not the greatest tent on the market but with a family of 4 we can have it off the rig setup up with 4 cots and sleeping bags in under 10 min and on the up side there’s still tons of room inside . Solo I still love my hammock tent