Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Think i like this idea more than a buddy heater.. i know they have safetys on them but this is cool!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I run basically the same heater in my teardrop, minus the housing, and permanently plumbed and mounted. If you look inside, it is a webasto knockoff.

What BTU rating did you get?

You should be happy, or better yet, the girlfriend/wife will be happy.

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

It’s definitely a Webasto copy, lol. I was going to build one in a toolbox, but this is so much easier. It may end up being plumbed in the teardrop. We’ll see.

I have a Buddy heater also. I don’t want the condensation that comes with hem. The Buddy heater is quieter though.
How loud is the diesel heater?

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Great find. We used a Buddy heater for the first time last weekend in the teardrop. It was difficult to find a good place to put it. The interior of the trailer is small and it was hard to keep it from overheating the walls. The condensation was also an issue. I like this idea.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It’s definitely a Webasto copy, lol. I was going to build one in a toolbox, but this is so much easier. It may end up being plumbed in the teardrop. We’ll see.

I have a Buddy heater also. I don’t want the condensation that comes with hem. The Buddy heater is quieter though.
If you are thinking about plumbing it in the trailer, we should talk. I found some nice stainless steel bulkhead fittings for the exhaust, and lots of accessories for running the rest of the ducting, such as a flexible exhaust hose you can cut to length, insulation for the hot hose, short radius elbows for the exhaust, duct work, and vent plates.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Is the main unit designed to be installed outdoors? I looked at the description on Amz but it really doesn't say. I am assuming that it would be since it is burning fuel for the heat, but then I see that LED control pad and that throws me off. I have a basket on the tongue of the teardrop and this looks like it would fit nicely there. I'd have to configure a place for the heat vent to come through the trailer wall.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Is the main unit designed to be installed outdoors? I looked at the description on Amz but it really doesn't say. I am assuming that it would be since it is burning fuel for the heat, but then I see that LED control pad and that throws me off. I have a basket on the tongue of the teardrop and this looks like it would fit nicely there. I'd have to configure a place for the heat vent to come through the trailer wall.
Yeah the Amazon description is a bit lackluster. Going to assume that the main unit must be outside the dwelling in order to vent the diesel exhaust. Also going to assume that it is a forced air unit due to the 12v or 24v system. That must be what runs the fan to blow the heated air inside. Think of it as a very small gas (diesel) furnace like at home. Your home furnace must vent the combustion fumes outside so they usually use a fan to force the fumes outside. This unit is designed to be outside and force the heated air inside while keeping the exhaust fumes outside...I think.

Reactions: FireMedicPQ1

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

That only works on AC . Perfect for RV parks .
Understood. Would it feasibly run on a 2000 watt inverter powered by a 12v AGM 105ah battery? Such battery would be charged with a DC/DC Ctek charger when the engine is running and solar charged when possible otherwise? I have the access to free used good 90-105ah AGM batteries. Would two in series be better?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Understood. Would it feasibly run on a 2000 watt inverter powered by a 12v AGM 105ah battery? Such battery would be charged with a DC/DC Ctek charger when the engine is running and solar charged when possible otherwise? I have the access to free used good 90-105ah AGM batteries. Would two in series be better?
It could but not for long. The company recommends a 2000 watt generator . That is a\lot of power.

Wilsonians

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

How has the heater worked out for you Captain Chaos?
I ordered a parking heater to heat our teardrop or RTT. It sits outside, runs on diesel, kerosene, or other similar fuel. It’s pretty quiet. I didn’t like the electrical connector, so I swapped to Anderson Powerpoles. I have some ideas for mods, so I will update when I do them.

View attachment 92280View attachment 92281View attachment 92282View attachment 92283View attachment 92284

Here’s the heater I bought. Ships via a slow boat. I think it took 3 weeks to get here.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I love my diesel heater. Mine is the same heater without the case and I mounted it in my teardrop. The city girl I married likes it.

Just for info, a 105 AH battery can run a 1000w heater for only about an hour before getting so low it is bad for the battery, so storing energy in batteries for heat is not really feasible for cold temps.

elizer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
eli
Last Name
kim
Member #

I have an eberspacher s2 /d2l. It is rated at 2.2kw. I have a 100ah Lifepo4 battle born. At start up it will shoot up to 7.1-7.6aH. Then it settles at 2.1aH at full blast full 97 degree heat. I can run for a long time. Why is this image so dang big.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I didn't see, did your heater come with a thermostat? I'm a few months away from deciding if I'm going to make mine inside mounted permanently or outside where I just bring it if I'm cold camping.