Enthusiast III

Suffolk, Virginia, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

20220613_083936.jpg20220614_112953.jpg
Bought two Hella Black Magic spot beams for the ditch lights. I went back and forth between these and Rigid but decided to stick with Hella since I already had the brand on the brush guard.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

20220623_141139.jpg20220623_141153.jpg
For on-board power, I have a Xantrex Freedom HF1800. It's worked well for the past 2 years and I have nothing but good things to say. It's allows us to use various small appliances like a microwave etc. while out on trips. It also has a shore power plug too when that's nearby. It fits nicely under the second row of seats and the power strip is easy to access since it's in the the footwell area of the third row.

Even under heavy loads it doesn't get hot and the fans rarely come on even during the summer months.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Great build. I have a 2008 2500 Suburban. I decided to make a hidden winch mount for mine. I have a 13K winch completely hidden bind the bumper. The hook/cable come out through a hole behind the license plate.
I have enjoyed seeing what you have done, and I ordered the ditch light brackets for mine. Thanks, I thought I was going to have to make my own, should have known.
I do not have the same size inverter, but I too have an inverter and dual batteries.
I chose the Suburban so I can sleep in the back with my wife. It is hard to find anything else that allows the same function and room in the back.
Rear tire carrier is next.

Reactions: Neon Paradise

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

Great build. I have a 2008 2500 Suburban. I decided to make a hidden winch mount for mine. I have a 13K winch completely hidden bind the bumper. The hook/cable come out through a hole behind the license plate.
I have enjoyed seeing what you have done, and I ordered the ditch light brackets for mine. Thanks, I thought I was going to have to make my own, should have known.
I do not have the same size inverter, but I too have an inverter and dual batteries.
I chose the Suburban so I can sleep in the back with my wife. It is hard to find anything else that allows the same function and room in the back.
Rear tire carrier is next.
The hidden winch is really nice. I couldn't find an off the shelf hidden carrier for the winch. That whole front end setup really added a lot of weight. Did you go with synthetic line?

Once you get used to the versatility, space, and payload ability of a Suburban it's very hard to consider going to something smaller again. Unfortunately with my drawer setup, I have to sleep in the backseat. I've seen on the internet they make a blowup backseat mattress with inflatable support legs for the footwells. Will probably get one of those next as I've been enjoying not setting up a tent recently and sleeping in the car.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

The hidden winch is really nice. I couldn't find an off the shelf hidden carrier for the winch. That whole front end setup really added a lot of weight. Did you go with synthetic line?

Once you get used to the versatility, space, and payload ability of a Suburban it's very hard to consider going to something smaller again. Unfortunately with my drawer setup, I have to sleep in the backseat. I've seen on the internet they make a blowup backseat mattress with inflatable support legs for the footwells. Will probably get one of those next as I've been enjoying not setting up a tent recently and sleeping in the car.
I ordered a hidden winch mount for the Silverado 2500. I think I can make it work, but it did not fit out of the box. So, I used the frame brackets from it and used a center plate from a Jeep/universal mount. I had to cut it down and drill new holes, but it works. I also added HD 2500 tow hooks/loops.
I was concerned about the weight, the price and the invitation for theft of having the winch mounted out front. While my house is very remote and theft is not an issue there, I park my truck at the airport almost every week for the whole week. Hidden seemed better for me.

I have been looking at the used 2017-2020 Nissan Armadas. I love them, but there are trade offs. More power, less towing capability (8K). Very nice interiors and smooth on and off road, but shorter like a Tahoe. While very popular as the Y62 Patrol in OZ, here there is very little aftermarket support.
The Tahoe/Suburban of our era are well supported in the aftermarket. That is really nice.

Sleeping in the back, with room for a fridge and the dog too is hard to find in anything else. I have a ful size mattress in mine and still have room at the end for a large fridge/Cooler, cooking gear and my dog.

Reactions: Neon Paradise

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

I ordered a hidden winch mount for the Silverado 2500. I think I can make it work, but it did not fit out of the box. So, I used the frame brackets from it and used a center plate from a Jeep/universal mount. I had to cut it down and drill new holes, but it works. I also added HD 2500 tow hooks/loops.
I was concerned about the weight, the price and the invitation for theft of having the winch mounted out front. While my house is very remote and theft is not an issue there, I park my truck at the airport almost every week for the whole week. Hidden seemed better for me.

I have been looking at the used 2017-2020 Nissan Armadas. I love them, but there are trade offs. More power, less towing capability (8K). Very nice interiors and smooth on and off road, but shorter like a Tahoe. While very popular as the Y62 Patrol in OZ, here there is very little aftermarket support.
The Tahoe/Suburban of our era are well supported in the aftermarket. That is really nice.

Sleeping in the back, with room for a fridge and the dog too is hard to find in anything else. I have a ful size mattress in mine and still have room at the end for a large fridge/Cooler, cooking gear and my dog.
I was looking at the Armadas too since the suburban has been in the shop for 2 months. The dealership and several shops cannot find out why its running hot (not overheating but hot enough it shuts the AC off). Ultimately I've decided to keep the Suburban for now because I'd really like a 2021+ Armada for the face lift and better entertainment system but it's more than I want to spend now. So I bought an Acura mdx for a commuter car since for flight school I'll be doing 900 miles a week minimum for the next year or so and I don't want to put the miles on a new rig or on the Suburban.