Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
How many Chevy owners out there have had to deal with the Active Fuel Management systems lifter failure?
If what your saying is what I think your talking about, there are some You-Tube videos on that issue. It seems GM has upgraded their repair policy from fixing the lifter and related damage, to fixing that side of the engine bank (upgrading parts), to repairing all 8 cylinders (replacement parts-non damaged) while in for the initial repair. A wise derision considering how there is little to no warning a failure is about to happen. Expensive on the front side, but cheaper than full engine replacement. With the cost on new vehicles, having a engine waiting to grenade, while practically just off the dealers lot is just sad.:coldsweat: I saw a video of a truck with less than 5000 miles on it drop a lifter, and what it did to the cylinder and piston. Knowing the debris floating around causing possible future damage is just unacceptable. Imagine the cost of repair when it goes out of warranty:anguished:.

mk79

Rank III

Traveler III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Yea, it's just crazy. So obviously mine is out of warranty. One of the places I'm looking at getting an engine from sells a rebuild with the AFM delete already done. It's about $900 more than an OEM rebuilt motor but you never have to worry about dealing with it again. I'm leaning heavily that direction. I know I could possibly get by with just replacing the lifters granted it didn't jack up more inside of the motor, for a lot less money but I would never trust it out on the trail ever again. I'm usually one rig and have my family with me and that would just stress me out, constantly.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Has me longing for the days of my 1993 Blazer Silverado with 5.7 liter 350 engine. Bulletproof.

Chevy has enough of a problem with this - and knows it! - that you can still order a brand new Custom Trail Boss without the AFM option.

I'm walking on eggshells with my 2014

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There is a wire chaffing issue also in all Silverados and most chevys since they use soy based wire insulator. It causes fires. I've watched my neighbor go through all this with his new truck.
I've went through all the recalls and issues with the Colorado, just recently got the transmission shift issue resolved, turns out on diesels the issue is the programming for the scr/Def system not the converter or wrong fluid like they thought.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
My 07 Silverado ran 220k miles without issue. There were a bunch that had issues, but the large majority of them didn't.

Sorry you're having issues. If you caught it fast enough, there is a kit to replace all the parts and do away with the AFM.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

mk79

Rank III

Traveler III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Damage is done guys. I have a new engine ordered already with the AFM delete already done to it! I'm excited. Even tho it's costing me a ton of money I think this is my best course of action.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Yea, it's just crazy. So obviously mine is out of warranty. One of the places I'm looking at getting an engine from sells a rebuild with the AFM delete already done. It's about $900 more than an OEM rebuilt motor but you never have to worry about dealing with it again. I'm leaning heavily that direction. I know I could possibly get by with just replacing the lifters granted it didn't jack up more inside of the motor, for a lot less money but I would never trust it out on the trail ever again. I'm usually one rig and have my family with me and that would just stress me out, constantly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure it is the delete, but also the design of the lifter parts themselves. The old fuel shut-down to cylinders in the 'North-star' engines did not suffer from valve drop during operations. So this tells me it is a mechanical design problem and not software. Also by them doing now all 8 cylinders, they have implemented new design features to halt a catastrophic grenade situation. Still, a lot of labor charge-back and time spent on each vehicle.logo-chevrolet@2x.png

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My 07 Silverado ran 220k miles without issue. There were a bunch that had issues, but the large majority of them didn't.

Sorry you're having issues. If you caught it fast enough, there is a kit to replace all the parts and do away with the AFM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is amazing how problems make it to the production stage, when most models are 2 years ahead before being released for sale. I did manufacturer proto-type testing on multiple brands, with daily write-ups and evaluations being done. With that said, in 1997 my new Silverado had a seat belt re-tractor issue recall. In 1999 (new refresh-4 door extra cab) had R/F brake caliber issue. My 2001 HD had the famous steering column squeak and the 6.0 engine clatter knock at start-up, along with the 4x4 transfer case encoder issue with the 4x4 floor lever (one of the last before electronic push button) . Finally my last Silverado 2003, which I still have , is the famous dash dead clockwork failure, the tail-gate cables, and the LB7 injector issue (all TSB warranty fixed).

I guess what I am saying is there are many departments and parts that due to their complex nature can cause unforeseen problems. Look at the navies new aircraft carrier, rather than do production upgrades, they decided to fast track new technology, which has become problematic and led to being 4 years behind on deployment for the ship.

The adage of not buying a first year production model is sound advice for power train or new parts that seem to break due to the consumer finding their weak spots where the engineers do not, SOMETIMES..............or us proto type drivers.

Reactions: mk79

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Chevrolet didn’t do AFM just to rake buyers through the Wringer. They could have done a little bitty engine with a hair dryer, but we all love big honking V8s.

The point is all manufacturers have to deal with the insane creeping endless demands made by the EPA.

As for me, thecopcar has a Range device plugged in to deal with AFM.

WesCad

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Upstate South Carolina
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Cadwallader
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4UDK
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Ive had a few issues with my 2012 2500hd Duramax but its got 260000 miles and counting. My other truck is a1977 Chevy K-10 with a 4 speed manual and a 305 v8. Bulletproof indeed. Thats the truck in my pic. Only 85000 on it.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is amazing how problems make it to the production stage, when most models are 2 years ahead before being released for sale. I did manufacturer proto-type testing on multiple brands, with daily write-ups and evaluations being done. With that said, in 1997 my new Silverado had a seat belt re-tractor issue recall. In 1999 (new refresh-4 door extra cab) had R/F brake caliber issue. My 2001 HD had the famous steering column squeak and the 6.0 engine clatter knock at start-up, along with the 4x4 transfer case encoder issue with the 4x4 floor lever (one of the last before electronic push button) . Finally my last Silverado 2003, which I still have , is the famous dash dead clockwork failure, the tail-gate cables, and the LB7 injector issue (all TSB warranty fixed).

I guess what I am saying is there are many departments and parts that due to their complex nature can cause unforeseen problems. Look at the navies new aircraft carrier, rather than do production upgrades, they decided to fast track new technology, which has become problematic and led to being 4 years behind on deployment for the ship.

The adage of not buying a first year production model is sound advice for power train or new parts that seem to break due to the consumer finding their weak spots where the engineers do not, SOMETIMES..............or us proto type drivers.
Not buying a fist year vehicle I can see...but this AFM/DFM issue has been going on a DECADE. And it's not a minor issue when it fails. Its catastrophic. M
m

Reactions: mk79