Checking in from the dog house in Front Royal, VA!

• HTML tutorial

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Hey, everyone! While I have miles and miles under my belt...and knees...and ankles on the trail backpacking/camping/hiking, I'm new to the overlanding scene. The silver lining of this dumpster fire of a year was that I've had a ton of time to spend at home with my wife (who kicked brain cancer in the nuts recently) and dogs. As a result of having way too much free time, I started modding my daily driver '18 Forester XT with a lift, tires, skid plates, Prinsu rack replacement, etc. and hitting what trails that are in the area.

After enough pin stripes, my wife finally said, "Why don't you build something bigger we can all fit in?" Yup...I'm a lucky man. So I dove into the off-road Sequoia community and am currently building out an '05 SR5 4x4 that we plan to haul the fur missiles in up and down the east cost, and to visit friends in WY and CO when the time comes. It'll be getting the entire front end ripped out, and all four corners replaced here next week. As it sits, there's no way I'm risking blowing up an original LBJ with 255k miles on it!

In the meantime, I also built a lightweight, low-cost, off-roadable trailer back in the spring to slap our RTT on with the ability of utilizing the annex. We've been blessed to have a ton of time to make use of it. Many nights have already been spent in it in GW Nat'l Forest, on top of Flagpole Knob, and at Shenandoah River State Park.

We're a dog-loving, shooting, adventure-seeking, mounting biking, desk-hating (but it pays the bills), bourbon-sipping, beer-tipping, hiking, and camping family. The last thing I need is yet another money sink of a hobby, but...bring it on! At least overlanding is something I can do to FACILITATE the other hobbies as opposed to compete with them :sunglasses:

I look forward to learning from the experience of others, and hopefully meeting some of you on the trails during our travels.

If ya happen by our mobile apartment seen here, give a shout and a wave...from a distance, please. My dogs can be assholes :tearsofjoy:

tent.jpg

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Ya'll sound like a fun loving bunch! Good Luck out there and hoping for a better '21.
Thanks...here's to a better '21 for us all! Since 8 June 2019 (when a seizure led to an ER visit, which led to the tumor's discovery) we've pretty much adopted a lifestyle of making hard lemonade out of some really sour lemons...more so than usual! HA!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Makit Worx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Germany
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Crowther
Member #

Awesome to see another Sequoia. I have a 2006. It is a great rig, especially that it holds the family and is off-road capable. Looks like you are already familiar with TSOR on Facebook from when you were deciding which vehicle to get. Would definitely do the LBJs, but they're not that difficult and at 255K miles the engine is just getting broken in. Lots of people have put 300-400K+ miles on these with just regular maintenance.

Good to see you guys get out so often. I bet it's nice to be so close to GWNF and Shenandoah NF. Don't know what you are up to this weekend, but a group is running Peter's Mill Run (or Taskers Gap) this Saturday. Event was posted on the Overland Bound - East Facebook page this morning Log In or Sign Up to View , we're planning on going.

I think the spot you went camping in your photo is also one of our favorites. Take Care!
IMG_2208.jpeg
IMG_2209.jpeg

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Small world, @Makit Worx ! That's the EXACT spot! I actually wanted one a bit further away from the gate to the reservoir, but stayed here due to its proximity to the Massanutten Trailhead right behind it. Great spot, though! I'll check out the FB post. I MAY be able to make it, but would be rolling in my Forester (which can do PMR) as the Tree won't be ready for a bit. I'll check out the group...thanks!

I'm replacing the LBJs and LCAs with Toyota OEM. SPC UCAs, OME shocks and springs front and rear (ripping out the rear air), Maxx Suspension endlinks up front and pulling the rear swaybar, Crown extended brake lines, poly steering rack busings, and CVJ reman, high-angle, axles. I'll feel a whooooooole lot better when that's all done as it's pretty loosey goosey now. I just bought it a couple months ago. Some Nomad Retrofit lights are in the mail, I've already built out the cabinets and fridge slider (you may have seen my pics on TSOR), the custom dog crates are arriving soon, and I have a Sherpa rack on order. Money go poof!

Reactions: DevilDodge