• HTML tutorial

NV Bigblue

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dayton, Nevada, USA
Member #

Hey guys,
Just a reminder to verify the lug nut torque on your trailer wheels before heading out.

We lost a tire off our trailer at about 70mph last Saturday.

Luckily, no one was hurt and we were able to limp the trailer home using the spare.

Totally my fault.... the one thing I didn't check.

But that tire had a lot of energy in it. It left the trailer, cleared the other lane, the right-of-way, and the highway fence (about 130 feet) before hitting the ground and traveling another 1200 feet. Had it hit someone or something, it could have been really bad. I don't care about the damage to the trailer, but I would have a hard time dealing with it had I killed someone.

Be safe out there!

NV

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I always worry about this as I have wheel lug spacers/pattern adapters on my trailer to make he wheel pattern match. Glad everything turned out alright.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Yep, maybe the only reason I've never used spacers. There are always alteratives.
Easy way to spot loose lug nuts, they will be dust free and look like polished metal. No need to "trust" a torque wrench, just look at them every day.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Glad your ok, this can happen to anyone. Thanks for sharing experience so we all are reminded of checking our stuff. Daily driving is one thing but as we beat on our rigs out on trails,the oddest things can loosen up. I try to crawl under and around my rig before venturing out for a trail ride. I have had my front drive shaft bolts come loose, Luckily I was just driving around the block to bring it in my garage.

Sierraman

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pauley
Member #

Hey guys,
Just a reminder to verify the lug nut torque on your trailer wheels before heading out.

We lost a tire off our trailer at about 70mph last Saturday.

Luckily, no one was hurt and we were able to limp the trailer home using the spare.

Totally my fault.... the one thing I didn't check.

But that tire had a lot of energy in it. It left the trailer, cleared the other lane, the right-of-way, and the highway fence (about 130 feet) before hitting the ground and traveling another 1200 feet. Had it hit someone or something, it could have been really bad. I don't care about the damage to the trailer, but I would have a hard time dealing with it had I killed someone.

Be safe out there!

NV
Bummer my good man. I try to always rotate all tires 2 weeks before check all under carrage stuff then the day before check one more time.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
To add to this, working in the trucking industry I have seen just as many wheels come off of trucks due to bearing failure as loose lug nuts. So be sure to check wheel bearing condition also.