Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Being old school, and never having had a rig with ABS, I just recently discovered the existence of and the purpose of the LSPV, (load sensing proportional valve). For many years I just took for granted that the 80 series brakes just really sucked, so I drove accordingly. I routinely get over 50k miles out of a set of front brake pads. On our trips though, loaded down with trailer and gear, it was very noticeable how poorly the brakes performed, especially our last trip to WV and the Monongahela National Forest. After much research I now know what the culprit was. After the vehicle was fitted with an OME heavy suspension with J springs up front, the previous owner never took into consideration the adjustment of the LSPV. Since the OME suspension is about 2.5" taller than stock, I fabricated a simple steel bracket to extend the ome bracket 2.5" taller... Now the brakes work like a dream... IMG_3090.JPG

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I had a similar experience with my 1992 Toyota Pick Up. They had a similar mechanism bolted on to the rear diff - I never knew about it and no one ever told me - AND this was before the days of the interweb. SO, it wasn't until I was getting my brakes done a second time by an experienced Toyota Tech that he told me. We made the bracket right there in the shop.

Reactions: TheMcCalls

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes, being a big fan of ARB products, especially the Old Man Emu suspension kits, I'm a little surprised that there is nothing in the directions about this, or even a cheap 50 cent bracket included in the kits. The only snag was re-routing the diff breather line so it wouldn't rub on the connecting rod..

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Yes, being a big fan of ARB products, especially the Old Man Emu suspension kits, I'm a little surprised that there is nothing in the directions about this, or even a cheap 50 cent bracket included in the kits. The only snag was re-routing the diff breather line so it wouldn't rub on the connecting rod..
That's what gets me as well - as a majority of vehicle that get lifted have this type of feature - that needs to be corrected. Even if they didn't supply the part; at least give us a heads up!
OME is usually on top of things, and maybe this is something they just didn't see as "important"? I don't know - seems pretty important to me!