Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Howdy All,

My father in law, brother in law and son are planning an overland trip to Cerro Gordo in April for a few days. They are wanting to go somewhere different and after seeing the trip recently with the OB group, it looks like such a fun adventure. I will begin my trip planning, but wanted to know if anyone can share their Garmin GPX File or way points/route through the area? I am excited to go and spend our time traveling, flying drones and sightseeing.

If anyone wants to join us, and/or make this a secondary OB trip, I am A-OK with that. More the Merrier.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I am planning on taking the route that @Reconnoiter discussed on their trip. I've never been through this area, but would like to stay on the beaten path as much as possible.

I will be coming from Fresno then through Lone Pine. This is all pre-planning, but want to get an idear of the "best" route through the area.

Is there an offroad route between Reward Mine and Steele Pass? Or do I have to continue North through Big Pine to come back SE?

Thank you,

Attachments

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I am planning on taking the route that @Reconnoiter discussed on their trip. I've never been through this area, but would like to stay on the beaten path as much as possible.

I will be coming from Fresno then through Lone Pine. This is all pre-planning, but want to get an idear of the "best" route through the area.

Is there an offroad route between Reward Mine and Steele Pass? Or do I have to continue North through Big Pine to come back SE?

Thank you,
Looks like there is an off road trail. I found this topo map online.

The site is:
https://www.trails.com/usgs-topo-reward-mine-topographic-map-275859.html

Looks like a fun trip

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Still planning to complete this trip in April. So far I have 4 other rigs (5 total) going from 4/9-4/12. I will need to call the DV Ranger District for info on roads if possible. I have modified our trek a bit to account for some vehicles that are not high clearance.

So far, my route is planned as
Day 1 Lone Pine,Reward Mine, Camp out
Day 2 Cerro Gordo Ghost Town, Drive towards 195/Hunter Road towards Lippencott and find camp
Day 3 Lippencott and drive to Ubehebe, Camp
Day 4 Drive from camp towards/through Dedeckera and back to Big Pine (may stay night or drive home).

At this point, the route is still being worked through exactly due to road conditions and rigs going, but Im feeling pretty confident they all can make this route.

Anyone know about road conditions in DV as of now on these routes?

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Can anyone tell me if there is a primitive, boondocking camping spot between Reward Mine and Cerro Gordo?

Thanks,
M

Luxolander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orangevale
Member #

Can anyone tell me if there is a primitive, boondocking camping spot between Reward Mine and Cerro Gordo?

Thanks,
M
Alabama Hills is right there and can't beat the scenery . Short drive to either location from there. If you looking for a more challenging way to or from Cerro Gordo, you should look into the Sawnsea Cerro Gordo trail.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Also, if you haven't seen it and don't hate history, you should stop by and see the Manzanar site that's right across the highway from the road to the Reward Mine.
It's worth a bit of your time.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
@ArmyofMike- I put together the trip that @Reconnoiter probably told you about. Alabama Hills/Reward Mine/ Dedekera Canyon Steele Pass then Warm Springs. We also did Lippincott and Racetrack. I'm pretty familiar with the area and am more then happy to help with your planning. If you you'd like, give me a call. 310. 9944679

Last edited:

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I was in DV this past w/e. We took 8 rigs from Panamint Springs to South Pass then down Saline Valley Road and over Lippincott Road to the Racetrack. From there we visited Lost Burro Mine and Ubehebe Crater before camping in Furnace Creek. We spent about an hour at the Racetrack, some time at Lost Burro Mine and Ubehebe Crater. We left PS at 8:30 and pulled into FC at 5pm. It was 128 miles of driving with about half of that on dirt.

Saline Valley Road is basically a dirt rd with no real obstacles. On Lippincott Road there are some rocks and 1 off camber spot but we ran it in about 40 minutes without any issues. The rest of the dirt road down to the crater is washboard.

As far as camping goes.... try to find a place out of the wind. We had a storm blow in friday night and it destroyed a couple tents and made it tough to sleep in Furnace Creek. Between the top of Lippincott and the Racetrack is Homestake dry camp but it looked pretty exposed. Just south of the crater is Mesquite Springs Camp and it is down in a depression below the valley floor. The wind was howling at the crater and even slammed a hood into a windshield after breaking the prop rod!

It is my understanding that Cerro Gordo is privately owned and while it is OK to drive through, you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle. I heard the owners are planning to make it an 'attraction' and charge a fee to see it at some point.

Have a great time!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Not sure where you got that information, but Cerro Gordo is completely open to visitors, the old guy that takes care of it loves to give tours and tell stories. I've been there twice in the last year. Be prepared to donate to his cause or buy some stuff from "the only garage sale in a ghost town". Definitely stop, get out, enjoy the history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Influencer II

Might be interested in joining, but would also like to know for future reference..

Can a stock 4th gen 4runner with non-AT tires be able to do Reward Mine and Cerro Gordo without problems?

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. The trip is still on to leave Sunday April 9th from Fresno area and travel to Lone Pine, then to Reward mine for a bit, then camp near Alabama Hills. We have a group of 4-5 rigs going at this point including @RockRanger . Should be a fun trip. I'm planning on taking Hunter Mountain to Racetrack/Lippencott/Ubehebe as we have one or two rigs that are not the highest of clearance, but have 4WD. We are still planning on being there for the entire trip from Sunday-Wednesday/Thurday morning.

Also, I talked with a caretaker (female) at Cerro Gordo and she said the day of 4/10 is great for us to come. She said to call a day in advance to remind them we are coming.

I am so stoked for this trip!

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Not sure where you got that information, but Cerro Gordo is completely open to visitors, the old guy that takes care of it loves to give tours and tell stories. I've been there twice in the last year. Be prepared to donate to his cause or buy some stuff from "the only garage sale in a ghost town". Definitely stop, get out, enjoy the history.
OK... good to hear first hand information. I wanted to get up there during my trip but my friend who was supposed to join me could not make it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Influencer II

A little off-topic, but..
I'm planning to make a solo last minute trip to Alabama Hills along with some surrounding areas, since I need a get away..
I've been to Alabama Hills, but I only took the main road, along with some side roads to get to camp. Are there any maps that I could use to point me towards some nice 4 wheeling within the Alabama Hills area? I know theres Cerro Gordo, and Reward Mine, but I don't feel comfortable enough to go alone to these spots since they are quite far from the main road. At least with Alabama Hills, I know the surroundings quite well and I could potentially walk to someones camp site and ask for help.

Thanks

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
1000 miles overall, 250 in Death Valley alone! What an overland adventure! So many sights and memories. I have posted a fairly raw GoPro video of a majority of the driving and sights:
Also, here are some shots from the trip. I will definitely be going back!

Attachments

Reactions: BCBrian