Rank 0

Contributor I

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
Natalie
Last Name
Blanchard
This may already exist, I don't know...

As I was listening to one of the Overland Bound podcasts, they were discussing the topic of bringing along emergency satellite devices for the no cell zone areas. The thought I had was, is it possible to have a centralized number that the members could use in case of an emergency? If something happens, they can send a text to that number using their device, and from that text there can be a post made to an SOS thread stating information (location, problem, status) on these forums, which near by crews can get out there to help.

What made me think of that is for people like myself. I live in Louisiana and I can travel out pretty far. Across the country far. And if I would use an SOS device to send a message, my family/friends would not be able to get to me or even know where to begin to get the help I need.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
With the Garmin Inreach Mini I have and the same with similar model, if you hit the SOS button your location will be sent out the the authorities to find you based on your GPS coordinates. If you want friends and family to find you, you could share your location via text to them, share on FB or Twitter, along with your coordinates. Using the SOS and messaging feature requires an active subscription as low as $14/month.

Reactions: M Rose

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You can do what we used to do before gps and cellphones and draw your route on a paper map and leave it with someone you trust tell them if they dont hear from you or your not back by a certain time and date to come looking for you.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Many of the other motorcycle and jeep/off road forums I'm a part of have a sub forum specifically for "help". There's even a pinned thread where everyone can post up where they are and what they can provide in certain instances. Example: I've got enough property that if someone wanted to stop here for a day on their way somewhere else they would be welcome to. Or if they needed to store a vehicle short term if they needed to fly home or whatever. Some offer tools, garage space, tows whatever.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Pretty common in local Jeep/Offroad groups to make a post with a pin drop (google maps) requesting help. Typically stuck on a muddy road.
We also have a winter recovery group that anyone can post in and those of us with vehicles capable of getting out in the inclement weather will come assist.....been a few years since we have had winter weather that necessitate heavy use of that group though.
Just before Christmas there was a guy from Canada that was driving his 4runner through Black Rock Desert in Nevada and became stuck in the mud. He was there for a couple of days or so before help arrived. He had posted the situation on Facebook and it went viral and ultimately a couple of local groups came together and recovered him and the vehicle.

We do have an SOS section here but it would require cell service to post on the forum.
A centralized text # to autopost the recovery info certainly might be benefitial....unless all info is not included.
However if you already have a sat device you would likely get help faster if you notified someone you knew that was local that could contact a local group or authorities versus waiting for someone here that may be in your area to log in and/or be notified.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose and Downs

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
FB local pages works great at times.... I have made a few friends by answering the distress call in the middle of winter when they were out where they had no business being...

Like @Boostpowered said, draw a detailed map o where you are going and a complete itenerary with check in times (dates if going out of service for days at a time) and stick to your check ins. I leave my itenerary with my dad because I know he isn’t going to leave cell service, let alone the comfort of his living room. Last summer I went on a week long exploration trip with some backpacking deep into the wilderness fallowed by floating out. I told him when to expect me out and when to expect a check in. I missed my second check in by 2 hours. He wasn’t worried yet, but new my standard was 3 hours late and notify SAR of a possible situation and at the 5 hour mark start rescue operations. When I checked in he had a sheriff deputy at the house waiting with him.
I know I was being over cautious, but I had a few high risk variables. 1st, I have some minor physical disabilities that limit how fast and far I can walk. What kind of terain I can walk on, and how much gear I can carry. 2nd I was in charge of some one else’s child that i didn’t know how well he was going to be able to hike and then later float. 3rd I had never been to this location before. And 4, I was going to be floating a section of river that isn’t floated in a part of the Wild that hardly sees people at that time of year.
I wanted to make sure I had an extraction plan set up in the event anything went south (we were heading north by the way). Had I not made my second check in when I did, I know without a doubt in my mind someone was going to come looking for us. Along with this, every one in the groupwas briefed over and over what to do if something happened. They knew where to go to get service, and how to share our gps location with my dad who then could relay to the pros.

when I go on shorter trips, or trips that don’t have as many risk factors, I usually just tell my dad where I am going and not to worry unless I haven’t contacted him within 24 hours of my projected return. Usually these trips are in places that I know will have lots of people around, or a steady flow of vehicles through the area.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Leave emergency rescues to the professionals.
unless the professionals are clairvoyant, they probably won't know anyone needs rescuing unless they are informed and the OP is asking HOW to get the info to them when cell service is unavailable

Reactions: Downs and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
On the subject of professionals, how many here are SAR or SAR Qualified?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

unless the professionals are clairvoyant, they probably won't know anyone needs rescuing unless they are informed and the OP is asking HOW to get the info to them when cell service is unavailable
Actually, OP asked how to make a post on this forum, visible to other members. Not how to contact "professionals".

I think the point Flipper was attempting to make is, if you are in a true emergency situation, you need EMT/Police/etc. response, not a bunch of well-meaning but potentially dangerously under-trained OB forum members coming to your rescue.

Natalie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
Natalie
Last Name
Blanchard
Maybe I worded it wrong. This is not meant for medical/life saving rescue, the good ol red SOS button is for that. More along the lines of vehicle failure. My family and friends here in Louisiana would not be able to assist me if i'm up in, lets say, Oregon. And then to expect them to try and navigate a forum page to try and get in touch with people for help would be a bit much. But having a number we could text giving our location and whats wrong with the vehicle, it could post to a help forum and we can get the help we need.

Reactions: Downs

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Maybe I worded it wrong. This is not meant for medical/life saving rescue, the good ol red SOS button is for that. More along the lines of vehicle failure. My family and friends here in Louisiana would not be able to assist me if i'm up in, lets say, Oregon. And then to expect them to try and navigate a forum page to try and get in touch with people for help would be a bit much. But having a number we could text giving our location and whats wrong with the vehicle, it could post to a help forum and we can get the help we need.
We have that feature, you have to be a paid member to access it