Ekaphoto

Rank 0

Contributor I

Prineville Oregon
First Name
John
Last Name
Carney
I was driving around the Ochoco National Forest out of Prineville Oregon a couple of days ago and seen a wolf. I came around a corner and it crossed the road in front of me at about 30 yards and tritted off down the hill. Yes it was a wolf and not a coyote. I am guessing about 70 to 80 lbs and dark grey. Offically they say there are no wolves in the area but I have heard of them and now seen one myself. It is great seeing something like that out in the forest. I wish I would have had my camera ready and gotten a photo.

Troysmith80

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sisters, OR, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Smith
There aren’t a lot, but they are around. I saw one several years ago between K falls and Chemult. Talked to a forest ranger and he said that yes they are around. That was back when a pack was being tracked heading from Idaho to California.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

I was driving around the Ochoco National Forest out of Prineville Oregon a couple of days ago and seen a wolf. I came around a corner and it crossed the road in front of me at about 30 yards and tritted off down the hill. Yes it was a wolf and not a coyote. I am guessing about 70 to 80 lbs and dark grey. Offically they say there are no wolves in the area but I have heard of them and now seen one myself. It is great seeing something like that out in the forest. I wish I would have had my camera ready and gotten a photo.
Did you report it? I was in the Ochocos last Friday and saw a sign that said if you see a wolf you should call and report it.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Just saw this post. There's been a pair above Mitchell around Bear Creek for a while. Had one cross in front of me on HWY 26 last year right before elk season. Reported it to ODFW and they confirmed that they're here.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Are ranchers reporting any livestock lost? Is there a larger than normal amount of game animals this year? The wolf would need a good source of food to multiply.
Yes, attacks on livestock have increased.
The Oregon big game populations has remained fairly steady with fluctuations due to winter kill based mainly on harsh winters. This could very likely change if the wolf populations are not managed going forward in Oregon. This has happened in Idaho were wolves were re-introduced starting 1995. The attached article by an Idaho State wildlife biologist addresses this:

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I'm not trying to get into debate on this subject. I appreciate the outdoors and all of the wildlife in it (including the wolves). IMO There is nothing more majestic than a bugling Rocky Mountain elk bull. I just want my kids and grandkids to be able to enjoy all of this for many years to come.

Cheers to all, let's go outdoors!

Last edited:
Reactions: madcratebuilder